Author Topic: First score w/ the USH  (Read 444 times)

Offline DGrig

• Trade Count: (1)
First score w/ the USH
« on: December 05, 2005, 11:17:11 AM »
I am fairly new here but have really enjoyed reading in on the various conversations.  Learned much.  Well my NEF USD 20ga got its first deer.  I have a 3-9 Bushnell Elite on it off an old 30-06 and I was glad to have it.  Two does popped out on the other end of a meadow and I got the second one at 135 yds.  She dropped 35 yds later.  Not a trophy deer, but I am very pleased w/ this USH to put the slug on target in the long shot.  What is your longest kill w/ a USH?

Offline MI.sabot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
First score w/ the USH
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 02:41:24 AM »
Congrats!

Just curious what load you were using in that 20 ga. to drop one at 135 yds?

My kid has the 20 ga and I have the 12 ga.  I'm very confident in the capabilities of my 12 but I'm still trying to get comfortable with "effective" long range shooting out of the 20.

The more I read though these 20's seem to be very deadly with the right load.  Your reply would be appreciated.  Thanks.
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline Nixter

• Contributor
First score w/ the USH
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 07:39:04 AM »
DGrig, great shot! That's quite a poke for a slugger. Of course I'm used to open sights and hunting faily heavy cover.

All these stories might push me over the edge and get one for myself. It won't make me a better hunter but if I do need the extra range...

Hey, if have you pics post'em here and then send H&R your story with pics, they love that stuff.

Nixter

Offline DGrig

First score w/ the USH
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 11:49:34 AM »
I used the Remington high velocity (1900fps) premium sabots.  I am still experimenting w/ ammo so that may not be what I settle on.

Offline MI.sabot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
First score w/ the USH
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 03:04:34 PM »
Dgrig:

Thanks for the reply.  Man that's impressive.

I bought the 12 ga mainly due to that's all I and anyone I know have ever used for deer hunting.  Read a lot of posts here and elsewhere about all the guys using 20's but I just couldn't convince myself at the time that was the way to go.  The only drawback to the 12 is that it's heavy.  But it shoots with the consistent accuracy I was looking for.  I'm a "in the woods" hunter so my shots are limited to about 75 yds.  I'm using the 1450 fps Federal Barnes Expanders.  They pattern well out of the gun and with the limited shooting distance they have plenty of knockdown power. (Witnessed that first hand on opening day on a nice 7pt at about 60 yds.)

My son on the other hand needed a youth model which only comes in the 20 gauge.  Realistically for right now his shots will be no more than 50 yds.
He's also using the 1450 Federals which are more than sufficient at that range.  Also, I didn't want to experiment with the 1900 fps early on and him have to deal with the extra recoil.

But it's only a matter of a year or two and he'll upgrade to an adult size and I intend to keep him in the 20 ga.  At that time as he grows and matures a bit I'll switch him over to the 1900 fps rounds.  Sounds like it will be more than sufficient for anything within a 100 yds!
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)