Author Topic: Hardcore hunters  (Read 2315 times)

Offline nealglen37

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Hardcore hunters
« on: December 07, 2005, 12:28:52 PM »
Ok here is one for all you hardcore hunters (appropriate time of the year for it).hats the coldest day you have ever been hunting.....................30 degrees..............20 degrees............................any nuts out there hunt in the -10................-20 ??????

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Hardcore hunters
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 01:11:35 PM »
I was stationed at Minot North Dakota. One year we went out at -15 degrees. If you took your face mask off and took a hard breath through your nose, it would stick together.  :shock:  Man was it cold, I never want to do that again.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline elmer

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Hardcore hunters
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 01:43:22 PM »
I don't consider myself to be a hardcore hunter, but I recently hunted in 17 degree temperature.
NRA life member
TSRA life member
Dallas Safari Club member
JPFO life member
GOA life member

http://public.fotki.com/ElmerF/
http://s215.photobucket.com/profile/CharlesL_album

Offline Lawdog

Hardcore hunters
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 02:26:52 PM »
My coldest hunt was in 1987 out of Taloyoak, Canada for Polar Bear.  A few times it got down to -20F.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Bim

• Avid Poster
Hardcore hunters
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 02:32:19 PM »
Don't know what the temp. was but I hunted black powder one time where my milk in my fanny pack had ice in it when I drank it.
Bim

Offline Tn Jim

• A Real Regular
Hardcore hunters
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 02:33:03 PM »
Northeast Tn. back in the mid 90s. Whitetail hunt at 18 degrees.
Not all Muslims are terrorist, but oddly enough, all terrorist are Muslims.

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Hardcore hunters
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 03:04:42 PM »
Shot a big Kansas doe this evening at 275 yards with my Super Shadow 270 WSM, never knew what hit her......temperture was 17, with wind chill of -1, snowing. :grin:

Offline ogo

Hardcore hunters
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 03:04:47 PM »
SW Pa 1991 -10 cold very cold*********ogo

Offline jpsmith1

• Contributor
Hardcore hunters
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2005, 03:48:55 PM »
ogo, I think I was out that year too.  It was -20 in the mountains.  I couldn't stand still for anything that year.  It wasn't even fun.
Searching for the perfect left handed revolver.....

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
Hardcore hunters
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2005, 04:13:07 PM »
We can bowhunt til Jan 1st. .  . and we always do :lol: .  Nothing like being 20' up in a tree, via treestand, in -45 (windchill).  And you know what?  We see deer.  Hunting logging cuts etc....  I would not do it now, but 10 years ago would not have given it a 2nd thought.  There was no weather that was too bad to go hunting in.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Hardcore hunters
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2005, 02:17:03 AM »
+7 degrees with wind in the Hudson Valley. Much colder than -20 at Lake Ashtabula, ND during college. The difference was the humidity of the river valley, compared to the dry cold in ND! Although last week the gut pile in 21 degree NC was a welcome relief! I'm getting so old>>>>>

Offline Savage .250

Hardcore hunters
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2005, 02:21:04 AM »
Quote from: Redhawk1
I was stationed at Minot North Dakota. One year we went out at -15 degrees. If you took your face mask off and took a hard breath through your nose, it would stick together.  :shock:  Man was it cold, I never want to do that again.  :D

I was stationed at  LAFB, Colo in the early 50`s......... There were butt cans,  half filled with water, nailed on the center columns in the barracks that routinely froze over night.  I don`t know what the temps were outside  exactly but  just trying to stay warm was job one.
  There was a guy assigned to keep the coal furnace going but often times
   he just "slept-in."
  Like Redhawk1 said," I never want to do that again."

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience,"
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline Charlie Tango

• Avid Poster
Hardcore hunters
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2005, 03:43:58 AM »
While tent camping our drinking water and washing water froze solid from the low teen temps at night.  It got into the low twentys during the day.  This was my fourteen year old daughters first camp/hunt and my buddy had his two preteen boys with.  The kids had a blast.

Offline Ranger J

• A Real Regular
Hardcore hunters
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2005, 04:18:45 AM »
About thirty years ago in Illinois, when I was young and foolish, I climbed a tree, no stand, and stood in snowstorm at about 15 degrees with 20-mile wind.  The deer were smarter and stayed home.
RJ

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Hardcore hunters
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2005, 04:30:40 AM »
Understand first that I'm from the deep south where it just don't get cold like it does in the places many of you hunt. But the humidity is always high here and it makes both heat and cold seem worse than they are.

My worst in memory was a day I went to the CWMA with snow on the ground, a very rare occurence here. The temp was in the low teens and never climbed much all day. The wind was howling at 20 mph and more all day long. I walked way back and climbed up a large pine tree that swayed in the wind.

I wore all the clothes I had plus hand blankets and boot blankets by Ice Breaker and was just barely able to stand it. About 2:00 PM after having seen only one deer that never got close enough for a shot I came to a realization that I wasn't having fun. I got down and come home. Since then if the weather is such that it's just plain not fun I don't do it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline beemanbeme

Hardcore hunters
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2005, 05:25:48 AM »
Elk hunting in the Big Horns.  Don't know how cold it was but the pee can, inside the tent, would freeze at night.

Offline Two Bears

• Trade Count: (10)
  • A Real Regular
Hardcore hunters
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2005, 05:39:00 AM »
On Monday I hunted and it was -4 deg F. and it was nod bad out.
I did not even get cold - No deer though.

Two Bears
HAVING A LIBERAL ALONG IS LIKE LOSING 2 GOOD MEN

Offline WylieKy

• A Real Regular
Hardcore hunters
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2005, 09:58:28 AM »
My coldest was a late season black powder hunt in Pike county Ohio.  My buddy had family with about 400 acres next to state land.  There was a one room cabin.  It was screened  on all 4 sides and was OSB board over 2x4 studs.  It was nice on summer nights because you could open the walls for a nice breeze.  Sucked when it was -5 at night and our kerosene heater got a clog in the line.  Was one time when I looked forward to time to get up so I could warm up while walking to the tree stand.  We dealt with that for 3 nights (now I would have just gone to get a new heater.)  We were each denying how miserable we were so we wouldn't look like a sissy in front of each other.
This that I do, I do by my own free will.

Offline victorcharlie

Hardcore hunters
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2005, 10:14:49 AM »
Hunting North Korean infiltrators just south of the DMZ near the intersection of the Han and imjim river, Republic of South Korea.  -30 with 15 mph wind blowing down from the north.................Darn glad we didn't find them........
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline a45gunslinger

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.zippyvideos.com/8333718701028686/000_0452/
Hardcore hunters
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2005, 10:16:07 AM »
it was definitely well below zero, so cold that I had to get out of my stand and move just to keep from shivering. I was young then I'm sure I wasn't dressed for it. Heck with the clothing available now it almost doesn't matter

Offline NONYA

Hardcore hunters
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2005, 11:31:26 AM »
its -11 here right now and Im headed out to shoot some mallards,I have hunted in colder but Im not sure of the actual temp.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Hardcore hunters
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2005, 11:51:43 AM »
Graybeard, you are so right about southern cold. I remember, was shooting 45 1911 at Fort Gordon GA, was 18 degrees, but with wind and humidity I'd never been so cold, barely qualified....MP training..

Offline jakester

Hardcore hunters
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2005, 02:56:13 PM »
Several years ago opening Muzzleloader season was minus 15 with high winds. Hunted for three days before I ever saw a deer.
 Had a lot of clothes, boot warmers, toe warmers, couldn't stay on stand for more than 90 minutes.
I was younger and probably dumber then.

Offline JPSaxMan

Hardcore hunters
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2005, 05:02:06 PM »
I don't consider myself a hardcore hunter either but have hunted in some pretty rough stuff, including temperatures with wind chill factor dropping it below zero, and the best part of that day was then having to walk across a field which approx was a quarter mile long with white outs and the wind just a whipping.  :eek:
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline wJAKE19

Hardcore hunters
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2005, 02:47:12 AM »
2 years ago we were snow shoe rabbit hunting in the UP here in michigan, morning temp was -17.. high for the day was -4... but we shot 7 rabbits.
~Jake

Offline ronbow

• Contributor
Hardcore hunters
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2005, 04:24:05 AM »
So far this year about 42 degrees - in North Florida. Eat your hearts out.

Offline Maryland Hunter

• Avid Poster
Hardcore hunters
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2005, 01:12:30 PM »
It doesn't get as cold here in MD, but we'll get some single digits without windchill, before the season's up. I've been out in 18 degrees so far this year, but it's been 87 inside my Heater Body Suit. I can't imagine it being too cold inside of this thing.

MH

Offline DaveP

Hardcore hunters
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2005, 03:50:22 AM »
Another MD boy here.We had 16 degrees so far this year.Coldest I remember was coming in at around 10 am,and the thermometer was stuck at 9! Still,beats those days in the 70s,and bowhunting in the mid 80's. Two weeks ago it was only around 30,but I crossed a swamp,and went in over my hip boots.Now,that was COLD.I was praying for it to get dark,so I could head in to the truck and change.

Offline june6th1944

Hardcore hunters
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2005, 03:57:36 AM »
In 1985, I was hunting whitetail deer in the mountains of Western Arkansas, foothills to those out west.  It was 9 degrees, with the windchill I don't know what it felt like.

Three years ago, in Northern Arkansas, where there are actual mountains, we hunted in high temps of 20 degrees.  

With today's clothing and chemical heaters you can put in your pocket,  I don't feel the chill I did in 1985.  Of course. I was a teenager then and probably didn't have enough clothes on anyway as I do today.

Offline .308sniper

• Contributor
  • happiness is a steaming gut pile.
Hardcore hunters
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2005, 06:40:37 AM »
Im not a hard core hunter.  The coldest I have been out this year it was about 14. It will just get colder! :D
have fun! get it done with a 308.