Author Topic: Cleaning a Super Red Hawk  (Read 822 times)

Offline Toby from MO

• Trade Count: (0)
Cleaning a Super Red Hawk
« on: March 07, 2003, 08:00:49 PM »
Just got my SRH a few months ago and have only done the basic cleaning.  I have not disassembled it for a thorough cleaning yet as I noticed it comes apart in major assemblies which is somewhat more involved than my other revolvers.  Is there anything to watch out for when disassembling it?  I read the owners manual but I still thought I would ask.

I would really like to get the cylinder assembly apart and give those pieces a good cleaing as those "nooks and crannies" are hard to get into when assembled.  Is this recommended?  I'd lilke some first hand experience before I pull this thing apart.

Thanks,
Toby

Offline HappyHunter

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
cleaning super redhawk
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2003, 01:46:48 AM »
Go for it!

Gun breaks down easy with basic tools.  Directions call for using the main hammer assembly to press trigger plunger out...use a small drift punch or even a screw driver instead.

The trigger assembly is easy to drop out and put back in.  Simply take note of upper portion an how it fits into frame in front of hammer assembly.  When trigger assembly is out, some of the parts can still fall off of the assembly watch this so you do not loose track of where they go.

You will not go wrong if you follow the instructions with gun.

I take gun down every time I clean it,  instructions will not be necessary after a short time.

Consider a wolfe spring kit for this gun it will reduce trigger pull considerably.

btw what caliber?

Good luck

Fred :-)
Ineedannudernewgun.
NRA Lifetime Member.

Offline Varmint Hunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2003, 02:10:02 AM »
HH,

Where is the best place to get a Wolf spring kit for the SRH?

VH

Offline Toby from MO

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2003, 10:16:44 AM »
Its a 44 mag.  This is my first Ruger and what a great gun.  First time out it with I was able to hold well under 6" groups at 50 yds using Hornady 240 XTP's and 24gr of H110.  It just feels so comfortable in the hand.

Also, like Varmint Hunter, where can I get some info on the spring kit, where is the best place to buy it?

Thanks again,
Toby

Offline HappyHunter

• A Real Regular
Wolff springs
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2003, 12:02:57 PM »
Ineedannudernewgun.
NRA Lifetime Member.

Offline HappyHunter

• A Real Regular
url!
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2003, 12:04:38 PM »
Well I guess I did it wrong with url.  Just copy and paste to taskbar.

Kit cost less than $11.

Fred
Ineedannudernewgun.
NRA Lifetime Member.