Author Topic: New Leupold VX-L Scopes??  (Read 791 times)

Offline june6th1944

• Trade Count: (0)
New Leupold VX-L Scopes??
« on: December 08, 2005, 03:33:35 AM »
Has anyone else seen any info on these new scopes coming out in 2006 from Leupold?  Chuck Hawks has gotten his hands on one and already written a review.  They look very intriguing.  If you have seen other articles please indicate where.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/leupold_VX-L.htm

Offline BULLMASTIFF

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 06:51:19 AM »
Not as Lean,
or as Mean,
but still a Marine

Offline Zachary

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 02:41:45 AM »
I understand from the literature that there is an advantage to that design.  BUT, to me it looks sqooshed and ugly.

Zachary

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 03:14:16 AM »
Yep....I agree with you Zachary........Looks like nitch marketing to me.....trying to fix a problem that really doesn't exist.......

Who know though?  They might sell millions of them forcing all the other manufactures to do the same thing......before long, all scopes might look like that.....!!!!!!

Or maybe they are going to target sales toward the ugly rifles!

My first impression is "Thanks, but no thanks".
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 03:24:09 AM »
Quote from: victorcharlie
Yep....I agree with you Zachary........Looks like nitch marketing to me.....trying to fix a problem that really doesn't exist.......

Who know though?  They might sell millions of them forcing all the other manufactures to do the same thing......before long, all scopes might look like that.....!!!!!!

Or maybe they are going to target sales toward the ugly rifles!

My first impression is "Thanks, but no thanks".

What!!!  "trying to fix a problem that really doesn't exist"   :eek: come on, mounting a scope to high on a rifle is a "Real" big problem. "Marketing nitch" my behind.  :shock:  I love large optics, but it is just not doable on some rifles. Now with this design it will work. Sure it my not be the best looking thing, but who cares. The animal being shot is not going to look at you and say, thats an ugly scope. Now had one of the other companies come out with this, it might of been a good idea to you. But Leupold did and now the Leupold haters have something else to complain about.  :-D  :D

I think it is great.  :toast:  :agree:  :agree:
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline june6th1944

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 04:25:15 AM »
This is an interesting innovation on Leupold's part.  The fact that the 'removed' portion of the objective lens is not visible when looking through the scope is even more interesting.  I am not a big fan of large objectives, BUT this new design is compelling considering the huge increases in light throughput (see Chuck Hawk's article).  I could have benefited from a larger objective earlier this year, but I like having my cheek on the stock when shooting a .30-06 Springfield.

I wonder if the Redfield Widefield scopes would have been more popular had they had the marketing budget of Leupold?  I always thought those scopes had a convincing practical application for mounting a scope low.

Who knows, maybe Savage will reintroduce the 99, so we can all put these Leupold scopes on them.  Can you imagine, a new Savage 99-with a brass counter, case-hardened lever, and the ability to mount a scope low on the receiver for better ease of aiming?  How much would that cost-~$2000?

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2005, 04:41:45 AM »
I'd rather have a Redfield Widefield myself.............the Lupie is ugly :P

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2005, 05:04:54 AM »
Don't get you panties bunched up Redhawk........I'm a huge Leupold fan myself........When I said it was addressing a problem that really didn't exist the problem has more to do with the human eye that the objective size......exit pupil size?

Even if a case can be made that there is a need for it it's still butt ugly........

I guess you disagree.......why am I not suprised........

Heck, go buy one and let us know what you think!
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline june6th1944

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2005, 05:14:00 AM »
There is pricing at www.riflescopes.com, not all are posted yet though.

Offline BULLMASTIFF

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2005, 05:20:41 AM »
Wow, didn't realize looks over rides function.  Apperently some look at scopes as pretty little things to accessorize their rifle with.  Some even consider the Redfield Widefield as ugly.  I say, if it works, who gives a rats &%+!@# what it looks like.  I too wonder if, say Nikon or Mueller created this, how many people would be jumping on the band wagon then.  And if I didn't have a third baby on the way, I would get one and try one.  All right, enough from me, this big dog has to get back to work.
Not as Lean,
or as Mean,
but still a Marine

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2005, 06:02:44 AM »
Quote from: BULLMASTIFF
 I say, if it works, who gives a rats &%+!@# what it looks like.  I

I'd say if it works better than what Leupold already produces who gives a rats tail?

If you feel the need to put a scope with a 50mm objective in a low mount ring then this is for you........

I don't feel the need, as I've never felt like it offered much if any advantage over a 44mm objective.......

Apparently, there are those who do feel the need......so go for it!

I do think that a fellow will be hard pressed to get a better scope than a Leupold all things considered........No, I'm not a Leupold hater, and own several........I also own a Savage, and have owned a Remington 788, both uglier than homemade soap.......
Barry Goldwater

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2005, 01:23:39 PM »
Don't get you panties bunched up Redhawk........I'm a huge Leupold fan myself........When I said it was addressing a problem that really didn't exist the problem has more to do with the human eye that the objective size......exit pupil size?

Even if a case can be made that there is a need for it it's still butt ugly........

I guess you disagree.......why am I not suprised........

Heck, go buy one and let us know what you think!

How did you know I was wearing panties.  :-D

You know I will get one just to try out.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Zeke Menuar

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2005, 04:23:00 PM »
The "Imperial Red-Headed Scorpio"  says it's funny looking.  Good enough reason to not buy one.

ZM
Official Guardian of the Arsenal of Paranoia

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2005, 01:18:26 AM »
Quote from: Redhawk1

Some how that's just not a pretty picture in my mind!

I know from time to time we poke a little fun at each other.  I thought after the long online relationship that myself, Ramrod, Lawdog, and yourself have established thru this forum that no one would get there feelings hurt......I hope I'm right.  If I'm not, I'm sorry.......I love a spirited debate, but still value your opinion......

So..........Magnum, Premium, Leupold, BS.......Poke, Poke, Poke!
Barry Goldwater

Offline Zachary

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2005, 02:15:47 AM »
Yea, it's actually great to know that quite a few of us have known each other online for many months, and even many years.  I personally have been a member of GBO even when it was part of the original software program (I think back in 2000?).

The fun thing is that at this point you not only know who supports what products and ideas, but you can sometimes expect their response.  For example, Redhawk is a diehard Leupold fan.  Try and give him an Elite 4200 for free and he will trade it in for a Leupold. :)   As for myself, I like the Nikon Monarchs, Elite 4200s, and Zeiss Conquests.  Up until the new Leupold VX-IIIs came out, I would not buy any more Leupolds (I think that I own about 2 or 3 of the previous Leupold Vari-X IIIs) because I believed that they were outdated and overpriced.  However, now that Leupold has changed their line-up, meaning the old Vari-X III (which was a $500 scope), is now called the VX-II and sells for $300, and the new VX-III, although still $500, now has much better glass and is thus very competitive with the other higher end scope makers (I consider "higher end" to generally mean the $400 to $500 group). (Of course everyone knows that I am using very general numbers because, depending on the actual magnification model, you can get a VX-III from about $400 to well over $600).

Anyway, getting back to the original purpose of my post, at this point, most of us pretty much know each other's position on certain issues, but we have managed to not only be civil, but also respect each other.  Sure, we have, do, and will likely continue to do, poke and make fun of each other, but that's okay because it is all in the spirit of fun.  I must say that, although I believe that I know alot about scopes, there is still alot that I don't know and I love to learn from our members and guests.

As a moderator, I hardly need to come in and settle (or prevent) disputes on any of the forums.  It seems that if it happens, it is likely to happen more on the bolt-action forum, but even then it is not anything significant.  On this Optics forum, we seem to be somewhat of a smaller audience and perhaps that is one of the reasons why you guys make my job as a moderator a lot easier.

I don't think that I have ever said this, probably because the topic never really came up, but I really appreciate all of your guy's participation and respect for each other.  Although we can have spirited debates, we do so with respect for each other and it makes things much more fun.

Thanks guys. :D

Zachary

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2005, 02:43:57 AM »

Some how that's just not a pretty picture in my mind!

I know from time to time we poke a little fun at each other.  I thought after the long online relationship that myself, Ramrod, Lawdog, and yourself have established thru this forum that no one would get there feelings hurt......I hope I'm right.  If I'm not, I'm sorry.......I love a spirited debate, but still value your opinion......

So..........Magnum, Premium, Leupold, BS.......Poke, Poke, Poke!

victorcharlie, you got the image of that guy in the Evenrude commercial didn't you.  :-D

But back to a serious note. I don't mind a good debate as long as it does not get personal. I love a good joke and sometimes get a good laugh when we poke fun at one another. I think if we all were sitting down in one place the debates would not get as serious and it would be more fun than just sitting on our computers. If it was not for debates, there would not be a need for such a site and the world would be boring.  :D

Zachary, I have to admit. Even though 90% of my scopes are Leupold, I do have a couple of Bushnell handgun scopes and 2 Nikon Rifle scopes. The Nikons I have, I got in trade, you don't think I would buy them do you.  :-D  :-D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2005, 03:06:25 AM »

victorcharlie, you got the image of that guy in the Evenrude commercial didn't you.  :-D

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  I'm not going to visualize that,  I'm not going to visualize that,  I'm not going to visualize that,  I'm not going to visualize that!

How did you know?  I almost fell out of my chair......glad I wasn't holding the coffee cup! :D
Barry Goldwater

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2005, 03:27:32 AM »
I beleive those scopes will be like the boss on M70 Winchesters and be off the market in a couple of years. They would look great on an ugly rifle.  :)
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2005, 03:42:52 AM »
I think your probably right Dave.......Might ought to buy a couple......probably be collectors items.......
Barry Goldwater