Author Topic: Wesson and Harrington  (Read 813 times)

Offline TopperT

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
  • Guard Dog
Wesson and Harrington
« on: December 08, 2005, 10:59:45 AM »
I posted this over on the rifle segment but I think I may need to list it here as well.  I have a new (to me) Targer Classic.  I picked it up with a pedersoli tang sight off auction.  I will be shooting it in the "Quigley" next summer, and as I shoot only black powder I wanted a second rifle for backup....anyway.  My first Target Classic has a serial number begining ..HS and then six digits.  This rifle with much better appearing wood and a bit better fit all around has a serial number ...WH71 and then four digits.  It also came with the steel fore end piece and trigger guard where has the other rifle has the plastic.  The fellow who sold it to me (he had only sighted it in, cleaned it up and put it away for several years) said it was the only one like it he had ever seen and it was this way when he bought it years ago.
I am wondering if H&R offered the Target Classic in a different form when it was introduced?  Also I wondered if the serial number stood for WH (Wesson and Harrington) the 71 for 1871 and then the four digits for a limited run.....Does anyone have any information on this?  Thanks.