Author Topic: No brow tines - Reason or Rhyme?  (Read 556 times)

Offline HuntingGuy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
No brow tines - Reason or Rhyme?
« on: December 10, 2005, 01:38:15 PM »
Hey All,

I shot a nice 8 point buck on Nov. 7th, 2005 here in MN.  There are no brow tines on the deer.  Can anyone take a look at the pics?  I know sometimes the younger bucks don't have brows, but you would think at his age he would have got them already.  Maybe not, I'll leave it to the experts  8)  Would appreciate any help.  It was the biggest buck I have shot, and am just curious.

Cheers  :D
HuntingGuy
Hunting in Minnesota Moderator

"You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline PEPAW

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 01:53:30 AM »
I can't see the photos, but antler characteristics come from genetics.  Whether it be wider, heavier, more points, etc.   I also think old deer tend to have longer brows than young deer, at least down here.     My wife's deer this year had 6 and 7 inch brows.   Sure helps the B&C score!  
Congrats on your best deer!

pepaw

Offline HuntingGuy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 04:48:45 PM »
PP,

Thanks for the tip  :D Best of luck this season
HuntingGuy

"You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline PEPAW

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 01:48:21 AM »
Today I can see the photos!    Great deer.    What type of gun is that?   How much did that deer weigh?

pepw

Offline HuntingGuy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 09:28:33 AM »
PEPAW,

It is a Kimber 84M Montana 7mm-08 topped with the Leupold VX-3   2.5x8.  The deer weighed in, if I can remember correctly, at 191 dressed.  Now is the tough part - waiting the 8 months from the taxidermist  :eek:   :wink:
HuntingGuy

Offline elmer

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 11:48:34 AM »
How do you like the Kimber 84M?

Maybe I should stop complaining to my taxidermist about waiting 6 months. :oops:
NRA life member
TSRA life member
Dallas Safari Club member
JPFO life member
GOA life member

http://public.fotki.com/ElmerF/
http://s215.photobucket.com/profile/CharlesL_album

Offline HuntingGuy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 04:25:24 PM »
The Kimber 84M is a great all around gun.  The biggest reason I decided to purchase it was WEIGHT.  A guy can walk up and down stands, all across the country with that thing and not even realize it's there.  I brought my 84M 7mm-08 and my A-Bolt 30-06 along for the hunt.  After shooting my buck on the 3rd day of 9 (while I carried the Kimber), I decided I would hunt with the A-Bolt the rest of the week, for kicks.  Well, that thing was so darned heavy compared to the Kimber, I couldn't help but go back and get it.  If I was going to have any complaints about that gun, it is that with a hot barrel - it can be finicky with loads.  If I give it time to cool, it will do better than I can.  9/10 stars on that gun.  I could never sell my A-Bolt, but boyyyyyyyy is that Kimba' nice!   :-D
HuntingGuy

Offline DaveP

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 03:45:18 AM »
I also believe that lack of brow tines is genetic.The buck of the deer here around our place lack them,and I'm talking about mature,20" inside, bucks.And most of the rest have had them broken off.It's a rare thing to take a deer with decent brows here.When I shot my best deer ever,ALL I could see were the brow tines-6-7" and thick.I about sh@t when I saw what they were attached too! Plus,he had 3 drop tines,2 of which were broken off.We've got some real fighters around here.
Nice buck,and congrats!