Author Topic: Holo or Red dot  (Read 1039 times)

Offline ratgunner

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Holo or Red dot
« on: December 11, 2005, 09:47:03 AM »
Whats the difference and the pros -cons? :?
"Non Gratum Anus Rodentum"

Offline Zachary

• Trade Count: (0)
Holo or Red dot
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 04:52:51 AM »
I'm surprised that no one has posted a reply yet.

I pesonally have limited experience with the Holo Sight, and no experience with the Red Dot.  As such, it is for this reason that I have waiting for other people (who have experience with them both) to reply first.  However, given that no one has yet to reply, I will do my best.

Again, my experience with the holo sight is very limited.  On one gun it was mounted on a Taurus RB revolver in .454 and it held up great.  The only thing that I didn't really like about it was that (if I remember correctly) the sighting point seemed to somewhat shift when you moved the gun.  I was shooting at 25 yards and my shots grouped well (about 1" or so).

Zachary

Offline BUSTER51

• Avid Poster
Holo or Red dot
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 01:32:18 PM »
I have found the target aquisition to be faster with the halo sight than the red dot on an AR15 . other than that you could flip a coin ,probably a matter of preference . I like the Eotec better than the aim point on a carbine,but that's just my opinion. i'm sure with pratice you could be equal profishant with ether.

Offline cma g21

Holo or Red dot
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 04:11:45 AM »
It's probably just a personal quirk, but my experience was the opposite of BUSTER51's. The red dot was faster for me.

I'm anxious to hear from others who've used both.

Offline Danny Boy

Holo or Red dot
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 05:32:58 AM »
It is very much of personal preference. It should be noted, however, red dot scopes have a higher MOA rating as the dot is larger. They are rated 2-4 MOA depending on the brand and model.

My Bushnell Holosight is rated at 1 MOA meaning you can shoot into a smaller target. There is no issue with recoil on the Holosight as it is sitting on my 45/70.

Holosight can cost up to 2X the price of red dot. Either the red dot or the Holosight is good for large game hunting up to 150 yards.

Danny Boy

Offline Plinkomatic

Holo or Red dot
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 04:07:53 AM »
My mini14 wears a Holosight XLP on an Amegaranges (scout) mount.
Had a Bushnell Trophy on there as well.
Liked both setups, XLP is faster and lower.

Offline Ranger413

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Holo or Red dot
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 05:17:21 PM »
I have owned two dot sights, the UltraDot and Bushnell Trophy and currently have a EOTech.  

For hunting purposes I think you will be fine with just a dot sight.  Unless you're into shooting at game under 50 yards in quick situations all of the time the holosight really isn't much of a bonus.  My two dot sights were mounted on a Ruger Super Redhawk (UltraDot) and T/C Contender Pistol .22 (Bushnell Trophy).  Either dot sight worked well but I'd trust the UltraDot over the Bushnell.

My EOTech is mounted on an AR-15 carbine.  Works oustanding for quick paced shooting under 50 yards.  The great thing about this sight, as mentioned already, is that its dot is 1 MOA.  This allows for more precise shooting at further distances.  My other two red dots were 4 MOA.  I have printed 1" groups at 100 yards with my AR with the EOTech.  I really think it is the best of both worlds.  

Ranger413
Life is like a dogsled team, if you ain't the lead dog the scenery never changes.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Holo or Red dot
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 02:06:41 AM »
I have owned almost every red-dot or holo sight. I have had them on all kings of guns. I did well with the Holo but I think they are ugly as sin. Same with the doctor sight. I did not like the Leupold/Gilmore. I still use Millet but my favorite is the Ultra-dot line of red-dots. I like the Match-dot the best. I have one on my S&W 460 Mag and just received my second one. I am debating putting it on my Second S&W 460 Mag or on my 460 Mag barrel for my Encore.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Ranger413

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Holo or Red dot
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 06:34:47 PM »
If you are serious about purchasing a red dot or holo type sight you really need to get a quality piece.  If I were to buy another red dot sight it would definately be an UltraDot 30.  The 30's have a 30mm ring which gives a bigger window.  Most can be had for under $150 and you'll see nothing but praise for them.  There are a bunch of low cost models out there but I'd just save up a few more bucsk and get a good one, and UltraDot.  The Aimpoint is probably the best on the market but it costs twice as much - military proven too.

As far as holo type sights I think the best model out there is the EOTech.  If you see pics from overseas operations or watch SWAT shows on TV you'll see the EOTech on most AR-15 carbines.  That says something there.  There are lesser models but I'm not familiar with any of them personally.  One that has my interest is the J Point sight.  Really small and about $250.  One problem with a lot of the holo sights is wash out.  I had a cheap ATN holo sight that no matter how much I turned the dial it could never overcome a taget sitting in bright sunlight.  My EOTech doesn't have that issue.

Ranger413
Life is like a dogsled team, if you ain't the lead dog the scenery never changes.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Holo or Red dot
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 07:21:12 PM »
Have used Red Dots for over 20 years on .22 pistols.(Contenders)  They worked great, could knock over those little pigs, sheep, turkeys, and chickens easy.  Put one on an Encore 30-06, it lasted one trip to the range.  At 25 and 50 yards no problem.  But at 100 yards the red dot completely covered the target.  At 200 yards could not find the target frame.  Took the red dot off and went to a scope.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Holo or Red dot
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2006, 03:29:28 AM »
Quote from: Sourdough
Have used Red Dots for over 20 years on .22 pistols.(Contenders)  They worked great, could knock over those little pigs, sheep, turkeys, and chickens easy.  Put one on an Encore 30-06, it lasted one trip to the range.  At 25 and 50 yards no problem.  But at 100 yards the red dot completely covered the target.  At 200 yards could not find the target frame.  Took the red dot off and went to a scope.

That is the reason I am switching to the Match-dot buy Ultra-dot. I can set the dot to 2 MOA. It will not cover my target at 100 yards. The smaller the dot the better for longer ranges. When I am in the woods and my shots are under 50 yards I turn the dot up in size.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA