Author Topic: Dad's Christmas card  (Read 684 times)

Offline big medicine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Dad's Christmas card
« on: December 11, 2005, 06:59:32 PM »
Dad has been gone since 1997. I have a box of stuff that he gave me from the war (WWII) Pictures, pay book, dog tags, DD214, Yank chewing gum wrapper, ect. But one of the most valuable things to me is a Christmas card. My Dad was in the Pacific during the war, the card was sent from the Murphy Bros in Spalding, Ne. They owned a package store there. I believe they sent cards every year to GI's from the area. It is post marked Dec 8 1944. It has a 3 cent Victory stamp. The front of the card says Christmas Greetings. On the inside of the card there is a photo of the Murphy Bros and several women from Spalding. They had been out pheasant hunting and the women are all holding pheasants and shotguns.
The card reads in print "Well we didn't get the wish we made last year...That you would all be home this Christmas. But we hope that it will come true in 1945." In very nice hand writing it says " Hi Thomas! Here's wishing you the best of the season's greetings!" Signed by the Murphy Bros.

I have read this card a hundred times if I have read it once. My Dad had not been home since March of 1942 and had been overseas since June of 1942. I have often wondered how alone he must have felt this time of year. I have read this card to my kids every year. They are 5 & 7 it is some thing they look forward to. My son ask a lot of questions about Grandpa and when he was in the Army. I hope my kids value this card as much as I do.

Here's wishing that all those serving now will be home safe for Christmas in 2006.

Offline powderman

Dad's Christmas card
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 04:56:45 AM »
Thanks for sharing that. My Dad died in 77 and I still miss him. Pearl was bombed Dec 7 1941, by mid Jan of 42 my Dad was on a ship headed over seas. He never saw home til the war was over.
There are thousands of young, and older, American soldiers that will be seperated from family and friends this Christmas, many for the first time. Our soldiers put their lives on the line for us 24-7, and receive little recognition for all of the good they do. We pray daily for them. POWDERMAN.  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Dad's Christmas card
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 03:22:13 PM »
My dad served in the South Pacific in the Navy. He passed away last Sept. at age 87, but is still very much alive in my memories. Thanks Big Medicine.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline big medicine

• Contributor
Dad's Christmas card
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 06:44:34 PM »
I spent 2 years overseas and was on duty both years for Christmas. It was just another day for me, as it probably was for Dad. I have a small Christmas tree that fits in a shoe box that my Mom and Dad sent me. My room mate and I put it up in our barracks room both years. It was a little bit of the spirit so far from home. I still put it up every year.

Offline victorcharlie

Dad's Christmas card
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 01:00:17 AM »
I've spent Christmas in several places around the world.  From the rice paddies of Korea to the Oil fields of China.  Christmas alone, away from the ones you love are the loneliest I've ever felt.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Nightrain52

• A Real Regular
Dad's Christmas card
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 03:38:04 AM »
I sometimes wonder how many people give a thought about all the service men and women serving all over the world at Christmas time. It is a time for family and friends but theirs are so far away. My heart and prayers go out to these brave people. Let's keep them in our thoughts during the Christmas holidays. :D
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline DWARREN123

• Avid Poster
Dad's Christmas card
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 04:03:39 AM »
Yes, Christmas is a hard time to be away from family and friends. Been there and done that but lets not just think about and pray for them on holidays. They are gone other days and we need to remember them thru out the year.

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
Dad's Christmas card
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 02:44:24 PM »
Today is the 61st anniversary of the start of the Battle of the Bulge.  We have a foot of snow on the ground and it's going to be about 11 degrees tonight.  Late at night I'll walk back into the darkness of the woods and sit for awhile remembering my Dad who was in the 28th Infantry Division.He went overseas in October'43 and returned in October '45.  I'll also think about the honored memory of all of the suffering, sacrifice, and courage of the men who fought that battle, many who would never spend another Christmas at home.  Peace to all.
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.