Author Topic: Copper coating lead bullets?  (Read 1472 times)

Offline Too Tall Tony

• Trade Count: (0)
Copper coating lead bullets?
« on: March 08, 2003, 02:49:43 PM »
Greetings from the North!  :) Great forum!

Have any of you tried to make copper washed bullets?  

I’m referring to cast lead bullets, with thin copper plating on them.  

Any luck? How did you do it?

Thanks
Tony

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2003, 04:45:23 AM »
first you have to have zero oil or lube on the bullets. you will need enough copper sulphate to make a solution (copper sulphate might be hard to find as it is VERY toxic to every thing that lives) a heat source to heat the bath to around 110 degrees.An electric source to move the copper particles onto the bullets.AND a good pair of rubber gloves so you do NOT absorb any toxins while handling the wet bullets.This process is described in books at your local library.May be a search for "ELECTROPLATING" will turn up some thing.  ? Personally I found it more work than it was worth.The bullets GROW in diameter as the plating is applied.They must be reduced by that amount before plating.Some guns will accept the larger plated bullets ,some will not.
   Some localities will not allow the dumping of toxic waste into their sewer systems.You can NOT dump this in your garden either.
  All in all ,It's best to just buy them pre plated!  jh

Offline John Traveler

copper plating lead bullets
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2003, 08:25:32 AM »
I have to agree.  Several years ago, I made my own.  the plating has to be at least a couple thousandths of an inch thick to be worthwhile.

After playing with home copper plating of lead bullets (I'm an electrochemical hobbyist), the end effort is simply not worth it!

You need much more than just copper sulphate solution.  You need a dc power supply (battery charger) capable of delivering several amperes.  You need various acids and cleaning solutions, a means of agitating, rinsing, and polishing bullets, and tumbling them while plating.  You need plastic, ceramic, or glass vessels for the solutions.  I got my supplies from contacts in the electroplating industry.

EPA , state, and local regulations are murder!  If you get caught pouring your used chemicals down the drain, they will have your buns!

It's MUCH easier to simply buy from a reputable dealer in copper-clad bullets.
John Traveler

Offline Too Tall Tony

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2003, 06:49:17 PM »
Thanks for the info,
Sounds like a lot more work, than it is worth.

I think I will just stick with lead.

Thanks again
Tony