Author Topic: ANYONE MOLDING AND LOADING SABOT SLUGS?  (Read 590 times)

Offline jeff223

• Trade Count: (0)
ANYONE MOLDING AND LOADING SABOT SLUGS?
« on: December 13, 2005, 04:20:41 AM »
just wondering if anyone here does this?i have been thinking about getting a Lee slug mold.thet make it in two sizes with the biggest one weighing in at 1 oz.Lee claims good accuracy and this slug can bet shot from a rifled barrel.the slug is loaded into a shotcup and that is the sabot.the shotcup grips the rifling.this should be a great way to produce some good cheap sabot slugs for shooting at the range and into deer.

info needed from those who have tried it

thanks
jeff

Offline TNhunter

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 04:44:22 AM »
What about loading their own with the Hornady SST 250 grain bullet? Anyone doing that?

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 01:00:45 PM »
I had initially started shotshell loading with the cast Lyman 525gr 12ga slug. This also loaded in a WAA12 shotshell wad, and in the Ultra Slug Hunter that I had at the time, was devastating and VERY accurate. With wheelweight metal, the slug averaged at 510gr. The  3" load I had averaged 1400 fps!

I tried the LEE 7/8 oz 12 ga slug. It was very accurate in my Tracker II at 50 yds. But I did not pursue it because accuracy seemed to fall off after 75 yds, and I recall that  calculated energy at 100 yds  was somewhere akin to that of at 357mag at the same range.

I had posted here quite some time ago regarding that.....you could do a search on my authorship, you may find it.....
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!

Offline Critter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 01:10:35 PM »
I have a friend that casts them so I don't personally.  I loaded and shot them in several guns and they were always ok but not great in the accuracy department.  I'm sure with some load development they could have been great, but I already had slugs that shot well in my guns so I never pursued it.  Now that I have a family and money is a bit tighter I may look into it again.

Offline jbtazgrabber

• Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
gg
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 06:07:30 PM »
got a lyman mold it shoots great....got a buddy that has the lee,he said it shot good till he tried the lyman slugs ,,,,,now he wants to buy my mold,,,i loaned it to him he says the lymans a lot better.....i got a few of both bullets if you want to try ill send to you if you pay shipping....jb...just pm me...

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 03:23:40 PM »
hey jeff -

i have a 20 gauge lyman mold if you want to try it out.

let me know!

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!