Author Topic: First impressions of my new Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe 20 ga.  (Read 755 times)

Offline TNhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
First impressions of my new Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe 20 ga.
« on: December 13, 2005, 08:01:10 PM »
I just picked up my Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe 20 gauge earlier tonight.  I believe I'm going to enjoy getting to know this gun.  :grin:  The look of the laminated stock is really nice (first laminated stock I've owned).   This gun is surely a heavy little bugger.  The first thing I did when I got it home was to remove the steel rod weight in the butt stock.  It seemed to me to be quite butt stock heavy with the rod in the stock.  I like the feel of this gun more now.  I'm not sure what the pound pull is on the trigger but it is definitely in line with my Remington rifle triggers factory settings - if anything it might be a hair on the light side.  I'm going to make it to the range on Fri with it and hopefully bag a deer with it on Sat.  At this point the only thing I'm not thrilled with is the use of non-detachable sling swivels on the gun.  I'm not going to use the supplied 1" nylon sling (I make my own 1.5" wide ones and use the non-metal detachable Brute swivels).  Since the included swivels are permanently attached to the stud - looks like I'm going to have to buy some new swivel studs.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
First impressions of my new Ultra Slug Hun
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 02:18:26 AM »
TNhunter, take those swivel studs off and take a close look at them, I think you can just carefully pry/remove the sling swivels from the studs and reinsert the studs, you should be good to go. You could of course, buy new studs and save the ones with attached swivels that came with the gun...<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline TNhunter

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 02:23:48 AM »
I'll try to pry them apart - I wasn't sure if they were drilled all the way through or not.  If they are I'll definitely pry them apart and reuse them.

Offline Paul Mohr

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 06:30:46 AM »
They are drilled all the way thru I think. You can just bend the metal loops and take them off. Even if they are not you could drill thru them pretty easy to make them work. That is the first thing I did when I got mine. The sling that comes with it is a bit crappy in my opinion.

This is what I put on mine.

I think it was like 25 or 30 bucks at my local gun store. I got it the same time I got the rifle.

Paul
AKA Psyco Smurf

Offline jeff223

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 07:49:36 AM »
just put the swivel loops in a vice and cut through them with a hack saw.then you can drill the hole on through the stud.i did that with all of mine.i dont remember what size bit you need but its a standard size.no need to but a new set of swivel studs.

Offline TNhunter

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 10:55:18 AM »
Thanks for the info on the stud - I'm going to do a mod tonight.