Author Topic: deer under a down tree?  (Read 534 times)

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
deer under a down tree?
« on: December 14, 2005, 11:27:58 AM »
This past gun season my buddy shot a nice buck and it ran off only to die under a fallen tree. he made it about 1/2 way under it. the very next day I shot a small spike and he ran and went under a fallen tree he was 3/4 under it. I almost didn't find him it the deer found a down tree with more branches I would have never have found him. both deer had to be pulled out before we could field dress them BTW both deer where shot on the same farm but on diffrent ends of it

This is the first time I have seen this, is this unusual?

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
deer under a down tree?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 12:30:48 PM »
If we are hunting where selective logging has been going on, there will typically be a lot of tree tops on the ground.  When we have shot deer in these areas, with a bow, it is not uncommon for them to run thru these tops instead of around them.  So sometimes we find them laying inside of a top.  They might only run 50-60 yards but they still seem to "run blind" and don't worry.  

Does it looks like they purposely hid under the trees?  Were they laying in a way that makes it look like they were watching their back trail?

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline rickyp

deer under a down tree?
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 01:14:10 PM »
both trees are storm fallen and no logging around me. it looks like the deer tried to hide under or run under it  insted of jump over

Offline beemanbeme

deer under a down tree?
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 01:36:54 PM »
I have kicked up deer that were bedded in fallen tree tops and also seen them pushed far enough back into the brush piles left behind by logging that they had to be doing it on purpose.  I have recovered one deer that had crept into the space between the ground and the bole of a fallen tree.

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
deer under a down tree?
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 02:51:13 PM »
I shot a nice buck in an oak grove last year. He went right down and lay there motionless. I moved towards him within 5 minutes. He jumped up
and struggled over this small cliff towards a downward sloping stream.
No blood. I searched for hours. Did the circle thing, and concentrated downhill towards water, you know textbook stuff. Exhausted and very sweaty, I gave up after 4 hours of this. I was disgusted at the prospect of losing my first deer in 40 years. I headed up the stream and a large gully
to my car. At the top of the gully, under a tree in a stump hole I saw the telltale white belly = dead buck. This deer low crawled up the stream, and purposely crawled under this downed tree to avoid me... No question in my mind about it. I was not surprised. Nothing a deer does surprises me!!!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
deer under a down tree?
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 06:52:29 PM »
I suspect those trees just happened to be in the path the deer were taking after being shot and had just enough resistance to end forward motion. If they'd had more steam left in them they'd have been on the other side of them.

Deer mortally wounded but not yet down and out do strange things. I've seen several run head long into trees and brush and get caught up in it. It's like they are running with their eyes closed.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
deer under a down tree?
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 07:29:52 PM »
Quote from: Graybeard
I suspect those trees just happened to be in the path the deer were taking after being shot and had just enough resistance to end forward motion. If they'd had more steam left in them they'd have been on the other side of them.

Deer mortally wounded but not yet down and out do strange things. I've seen several run head long into trees and brush and get caught up in it. It's like they are running with their eyes closed.

I shot a doe this year and it took off running. I shot it in the field and it tried to make it into the woods, but a tree got in it's way. It ran head on into the tree and piled up right there. Like Graybeard said, it was like it was running with it's eyes closed.  :-D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline rockbilly

deer under a down tree?
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 04:43:49 AM »
:D As GB said, they do strange things when shot.  A few years ago I shot a deer that fell in it's tracks, I sat in the stand for a while,  then while I was on the ladder getting down, I noticed the deer get up and take off running.  I sat on a stump for about 30 minutes before looking for the deer.  I found a good blood trail, but couldn't find the deer.  After looking for a while, I went back to the place it first fell and started looking again.  About thirty yards away I found the deer five-six feet up in a big cedar tree.  I guess he made that final leap and landed there.

Offline rickyp

deer under a down tree?
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2005, 04:55:02 AM »
I would never think to look 6feet up in a tree for a dead deer.