Author Topic: Bevel Base VS Plain Base  (Read 628 times)

Offline jar-wv

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Bevel Base VS Plain Base
« on: December 16, 2005, 05:07:27 PM »
I have noticed that most of the hard cast pistol bullets I find commercially usually have a bevel base. I am speaking specifically of 44 cal swc. Is there a reason for this? Are the bevel base more prone to leading? I am looking at using a large meplate swc at 950 fps in a 44special for a short range whitetail load.

jar

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Bevel Base VS Plain Base
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 02:39:44 AM »
the main purpose commercial bullets are bevel based is that they drop easier from the mold which is important when using automatic casting machines. They are more prone to leading but mostly if pushed over 1000 fps. In most cases youll get better accuracy with a plain based bullet. Only other benifit to a bevel base is there easier to start in a case when reloading
blue lives matter

Offline jar-wv

• Avid Poster
Bevel Base VS Plain Base
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 08:19:27 AM »
Thanks Lloyd.  :D The bullets I have are 240 grain swc, 92% lead, 6%antimony and 2% tin. The meplate is .300, or 70% of bullet diameter. Will these work ok or do you think maybe I should try to find something with a wider meplate? Perhaps something closer to a true Keith style.

Another question I have is: Is there any reason I can't trim 44 mag brass down and use it in 44 special? The only differance I see, other than length, is that the 44 special is 1/2 thousandth wider on the od at the case mouth. I have lots & lots of 44 mag brass and thought I would cut some down and keep it seperate for the special.

jar

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Bevel Base VS Plain Base
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 09:08:17 AM »
it isnt wrote in concrete but ive actually found that bullets in the 41-45 caliber class usually are a little more accurate with a smaller metplat. A 250 swc with a 70 percent metplat will be a longer bullet then one with an 80 and its my opinion that thats what makes them fly better. Like i said i cant prove it scientificaly but in all my years of testing its worked out that way. A 70 percent metplat bullet in a 44 is big enough to do substaintial damage to game. Your brass will work fine cut down thats how I make my .41 special brass. Its more work then i want to bother with for 44 brass as special brass is just as cheap as mag.
blue lives matter

Offline jar-wv

• Avid Poster
Bevel Base VS Plain Base
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 10:34:12 AM »
Once again, many thanks Lloyd.  :D  I have many revolvers but the 44 special will be a new caliber for me. I should be getting the 357 OMBH conversion back in about 6 weeks and want to have ammo at the ready. Am hoping to practice with it a lot till next deer season and bushwack one up close.

jar