Author Topic: Colt Style revolver triggers......offset from trigger guard?  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Mulegunner

• Trade Count: (0)
Colt Style revolver triggers......offset from trigger guard?
« on: December 17, 2005, 03:21:03 PM »
Ok.....this has been bugging me for a while.  Both my Pietta Colt Revolver triggers are not centered under the trigger guard.  Meaning they are more to the left side of the gun.  Is this common or just sloppy work?  Or were the originals slightly off center?

Offline JohnW

Colt Style revolver triggers......offset fr
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 05:49:13 AM »
Yep, mines the same 6mm on left, 10mm on right.  Possibly an advantage to me as I'm a lefty.  Strange as you say.

Offline Flint

trigger
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 07:33:10 AM »
The trigger is offset because it shares the space with the cylinder locking bolt beside it.  The Ruger Old Model Super Blackhawk had a wide trigger, offsetting as it entered the frame to half width.  The Remington 58, 75 and 1890 also use a wide  trigger.

It should be possible to make a wide, centered trigger for the Colt type as well, similar to the Ruger and Remington, and there might even be a market for them.... maybe I'll look into making them, anyone interested?

There may be some sloppy workmanship coming out of some makers around the world, but that much offset you won't see from that cause.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Mulegunner

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 10:23:08 AM »
thanks for the input guys.  I was curious about it,  as I said its been kinda bugging me for quite a while.

Offline Singing Bear

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005, 11:54:54 AM »
There's also the story that Sam Colt was left handed and designed the gun to fit his hand.  Thus, the trigger is offset to the left instead of the right.
Singing Bear

Offline Flint

left
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 05:34:40 PM »
The other thought about the "handedness" is that the Dragoon or Cavalryman had a sabre in his right hand and the revolver in his left.  

The sword is worn on the left hip (the reason why a horse is mounted from the left side, imagine getting tangled in your scabbard trying to mount a horse from the right!)

The revolver was on the right hip, butt forward, accessable to the left hand.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline JohnW

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 02:00:38 PM »
Yes, the above would make sense.  For a lefty they sure are good in the hand compared to a Remington 58.

Offline gmatov

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 09:09:14 PM »
Anyone who wants to make a wide trigger had better design and sell a matching triggerguard, as the trigger stays in the frame when you remove the triggerguard, you recall?

You make a "Target" trigger, you have to supply a guard with a matching hole to drop the guard.

Cheers,

George

BTW, I don't feel it is natural, either, nor, really, is the loop big enough. I don't have particularly fat fingers, hell, I go 150, but the guard loop is tight.

Offline DMF38

Re: Colt Style revolver triggers......offset from trigger guard?
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2006, 04:12:42 PM »
Ok.....this has been bugging me for a while.  Both my Pietta Colt Revolver triggers are not centered under the trigger guard.  Meaning they are more to the left side of the gun.  Is this common or just sloppy work?  Or were the originals slightly off center?

My Uberti 1851 .36 also has the trigger offset to the left.  I read somewhere that Sam Colt designed them that way for Right handers. The trigger being to the left would force a right hander to squeeze the trigger with the pad of the right trigger finger, thereby promoting more accurate shooting.  Squeezing the trigger in the crook of the finger tends to make the shooter jerk the trigger, decreasing accuracy.