Author Topic: Smooth Bore slug accuracy...?  (Read 844 times)

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
Smooth Bore slug accuracy...?
« on: December 19, 2005, 10:30:22 AM »
I was just curious as to what level of accuracy you all are getting with slugs out of smooth bore barrels?
Which smooth bore barrel are you shooting? (length, choke type, ga, etc)
What ammo performed well for you?

I don't shoot slugs very often, so I can't really justify buying a rifled slug barrel at the moment. Later perhaps.
But I am working on a small project, as I have posted on another thread, and was curious just how accurate slugs out of a SB barrel can be.

I would like to say "groups" but not many have drilled and tapped a SB barrels.
-Aaron

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 12:22:07 PM »
Ragged cloverleaf three shot  patterns (groups) at 50 yards when all the planets are in line :-D  :-D , which happens quite often, just yesterday as a matter of fact!! I am shooting a 24" Turkey barrel with either an Improved Cylinder or Modified tube and with a Red Dot mounted, I am going to try my shotgun scope again for smaller groups but the Red Dot is just so small, light, quick and handi it's hard to beat for a shotgun hunting rig. I change from the Mod to I.C. tube, which ever seems to shoot best, I have to settle on one, each seems to be better with different slugs. It seems to most consistently prefer Brenneke Rottwiel MP 2 3/4" standard slugs. Yesterday for some reason my best and only cloverleaf (Brenneke's about 1.5-2") group was from an old box of Remington Sluggers I had lying around. I will have to get some more to try....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline 97th signalman

• Trade Count: (0)
slug barrel accuracy
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 03:15:34 PM »
I am considering sending my shotgun (a .410 Pardner) to have a 20 gauge rifled slug barrel fitted. Who has done this and what sort of accuracy can I expect?

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 08:25:25 PM »
Hummm...well thats very good news then. Thats way better accuracy than I expected, and makes me want to go through with my project even more. Dare I ask MSP, if you have tried it out to 100yd? :grin:

97 signalman-Welcome to Graybeards :toast:  
Many here have sent their receiver back to get fitted. Do a search at the top of the page and you will find out more past threads on the rifled slug barrels. Seems to me that everyone who has them are more than happy with them

Offline Tcallbuilder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 12:23:36 AM »
myarmor;
Ill have to ehco MSP on this one.
I too have a 24inch tk special barrel with a red dot.
with a modified choke installed....and some really cheap winchester rifled slugs (about 6$ a 15rd. box at wal-mart) this little sucker will shoot clover leaf groups at 50yrds.....all day long.

My eyes just arent good enough through a red-dot to shoot 100yrd groups and havent tried with this rig, but my guess is that the groups would spread out quit a bit.

I just mounted a set of williams iron sights on a 28inch TDC vent rib barrel, setting it up for a turkey rig, Im curious to see how well it will shoot slugs

Let us know how you project turns out.

Merry Christmas!!
TCB