Author Topic: A solution???  (Read 666 times)

Offline JPH45

• Trade Count: (0)
A solution???
« on: December 31, 2005, 05:56:55 PM »
After thinking on it a while, I wonder of one possible solution to spring woes might be to have someone like Wolff run us a group buy on higher grade springs than NEF is using. The hammer spring on my 38-55 got weak enough that after 2500-3000 rounds (cycles) it would no longer drive the hammer with enough force to reliably ignite rifle primers. I wonder too if a stronger firing pin spring could prevent firing pin breakage and if a stronger return spring for the lock would help create a more consistant lockup. Thoughts???
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline Duce

• Avid Poster
A solution???
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 11:31:54 AM »
JPH45: I wonder if you've not hit on something bigger, some of the mystery inaccuracy could be inconsistent ignition????? :shock: <>< Duce:
What ever you'll put up with, is exactly what you'll get!!!!!

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
A solution???
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 02:48:21 PM »
JP
Wollf makes hammer springs for the Pardner? They do not have compression latch springs. Numrich has very good hammer springs.

Lee can make a 0.240 dia. x 0.038 or o.40 wire x 0.700 compression springs min 10 for about $50. I paid $ 40 for a length of custom spring with .036 wire not quite strong enough needed another smaller spring inside.

I don't think the firing pin return spring has anything to do with firing pin breakage. The pin is floating. You can check this by removing the spring and measure the projection difference. Projection is goverened by the hammer recess. With out the spring you get .060 projection. .041 with the hammer.

I cut some off the return spring for less hammer resistance from 44oz to about 21oz. This will improve pin pentration on the primer.

If the pins are too hard they could crystalize and break?????
Don'tknow of anything else that would break the firing pin.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline JPH45

A solution???
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 03:21:22 PM »
Not sure what makes the firing pin so fragile. I've broken three of the dang things, hammer slipping away from me on decocking. Each pin broke from a single dry fire like that. The pin is about 3/16" on one end and slightly less than 1/8" on the other. There is minimal material on the step down. The step is radiused but obviously not enough. Not sure what the solution is for this, but it sure needs one.

Do I understand you right Fred, Wolff makes a hammer spring for the Pardner? I see no reason it would not be the same as that of the SB2. Perhaps that will work. You say Lee will make 10 for $50.00??? Lee Precision, makers of cast bullet molds, dies and other reloading products? Is it a good spring? I have one of those from Numrich Arms in my 38-55, but do not yet have enough rounds on that change to be able to know if it is really better than the original. Buying a spring no better than the original is a waste of money so far as I'm concerned. Have you spoken with the folks at Wolff? What do they have to say about their product? It is interesting they would have an aftermarket hammer spring for the Pardner. This is strongly suggestive of a long term problem with this spring. any more light you can shed on this?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
A solution???
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006, 03:46:37 PM »
The pins break from dry firing, the pin is stopped by it's sholder and the small pin wants to keep going, after a few it snaps off.  When it hits the primer it is under compression so it does not try to seperate from the larger body of the firing pin.  That is what they make snap caps for.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
A solution???
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2006, 03:58:40 PM »
Quote from: trotterlg
That is what they make snap caps for.

Amen!!! Or at least a spent case that hasn't been deprimed!!!

Offline Duce

• Avid Poster
A solution???
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2006, 04:00:53 PM »
JHP45: Just got off of http://www.gunsprings.com and ordered a 5 pack of main/hammer springs $19.99 plus shipping. Hope This Helps:  :wink: <>< Duce:

Offline JPH45

A solution???
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2006, 04:04:51 PM »
Thanks Quick, up to speed now.

Offline Duce

• Avid Poster
A solution???
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2006, 04:06:44 PM »
Sorry for the double post

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
A solution???
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2006, 04:09:25 PM »
Here's a direct link to the Wolff H&R springs...those double coils would be interesting but I wonder how many transfer bars they're gonna break???? :eek: I'd like to think that since they sell em, they work good!!

http://www.gunsprings.com/RifleShotgun/HR_RsNF.html

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
A solution???
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2006, 04:52:14 PM »
JP
First my post got duplicated, now it is gone alltogether the forum still has bugs. This was a long post and I hate to write it all over again. But here we go again, also not the same.

Lee springs is in England and is friendly to ignorant spring buyers.
10 for 50 bucks. Suitable sizes available. .240 O.D .038 or .040 wire .700 long. Should order 10 of each size and charge 15 bucks a piece to 10 prepaid users. Includes shipping and handling, owner is responsible for fitting and seat modification.

My firing pin has 41 Thou projectionn with the hammer blow but can be pushed out by hand to 70.5 thou. It has 30 thou free float before it hits steel to steel. This overtravel should prevent the pin from hitting the bottom of the seat when the spring is in place it too will stop travel past the 41 thou which is determent by the notch in the hammer, You may need to deepen the seat a few thou?

I will strip down the 6x47 frame and check out the firing pin see what I have and will let you know. It too has way too much resistance and needs the return spring shortened. At present I have some CCI small match primers that the hammer wont set off. But these primers were to hard to fire in my 6ppc BR rifle. I thought the hammer would set them off.
I try a new hammer spring.

One other thing I have done is lower the hammer extension with a needle file  for more rotational hammer speed. You can't get too much but every little bit helps ignition. So far the 257 has worked without a hitch. But has not fired many rouns with the new hammer spring.

Wolff needs a design for the springs. Number of coils, angle of coils, diameter inside and outside, wire size, compression in pounds at complete closure. They have the pardner hammer springs if they work???
I talked to the manager, got his name somewhere.

Hope this post is not getting lost again.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.