Author Topic: newbie to NEF's need help  (Read 568 times)

Offline Dr. John H. Stone

• Trade Count: (0)
newbie to NEF's need help
« on: January 02, 2006, 04:02:56 AM »
I just got a new NEF 308survival rifle. Problem , vertical stringing.. Just found this site so need links or info on rubber spacer under barrel to help w/ this. all other info and advise appreciated much.. None too elementary..
thanks,
Doc Stone :-)

Offline JKump

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 04:24:09 AM »
I also have a Survivor 308 (w/Nikon 4x32 scope) and have had good results (usually cloverleaf pattern with the holes touching).  Just take the time and read thru the "sticky" at the top of the threads.  Lot of good advice.  I added an "O" ring to mine, and cleaned it good.   Also put a couple hundred rounds thru it to break it in.  You should like the rifle a lot.
Everyone has a game plan, until they get punched in the mouth.

Live everyday as if it is your last!  Because someday you will be right.

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 05:53:18 AM »
handloads or factory???

yuo might want to try the o-ring trick or some other way to free float the barrel , i get vertical stringing on some of my guns when part of the stock touches the barrel.
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 06:03:22 AM »
I am developing a load today.. 168 Barnes TSX, Varget 46.5 grs. ,lapua brass. and fed 210 M . Just seated an rubber O-ring and headed to range. hopefully better results..will post on return..thanks,

NEF shoots lights out
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 07:23:16 AM »
Just returned from my shooting range at my farm,  NEF 308 surival rifle is now shooting into 1/2 inch @ 100 yds., I relieved all forend contact and put a rather large thick rubber o-ring and boy does it shoot now. forgot to add gave it a good cleaning w/ wipeout(good stuff). shooting 150 Nosler accubond into 1/2 inch @ 2700 fps out of 20 inch barrel, not too shabby.. :)
will continue to fine tune but hell of a tree stand gun now..
thanks and I've read the stickys, but would like more input..from those w/ much experience..
thanks,

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 07:46:05 AM »
for some reason a lot of handi's don't like anything touching the barrel, i don't know why but they just don't.

glad you got a shooter.
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 07:55:05 AM »
Welcome to GB  :D  Glad to see you are getting good results, the 308 is a fine caliber.

John

another project
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 08:27:53 AM »
Don't know if I should post here , if not someone advise.
Got a NEF receiver a couple wks. ago and just received a smokeless
barrel from SMI inc. (Smoleless Muzzleloader Inc.), so far it shoots very good groups, just wondering if anyone out there has any experience w/ this conversion.  Don't understand the SB2  vs. SB1 designation as I can't find it on either  of my receivers.. one has NNxxxx  and the other NV xxxxx. advise please,
thanks,

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 09:12:01 AM »
Welcome aboard, Doc.  The SB1 is a shotgun receiver.  The SB2 is the rifle receiver.  They are not made the same.  The SB2 is stronger to handle the higher pressures of rifle ammo.  Check out the factory tour link above, in with the Stickys.  Good Luck with "The Fever".  The Handi Fever. LOL
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"