Author Topic: 445 Super Mag and 270gr Gold Dots  (Read 550 times)

Offline MtJerry

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
445 Super Mag and 270gr Gold Dots
« on: January 03, 2006, 09:47:58 AM »
I have run out of 265gr. Beartooth bullets and haven't ordered any more, so I decided to give some 270gr. Speer Gold Dots a try since I use them in my .44mag Super Blackhawk.

They shot better than the Beartooths at 50 and 100 yards!!!! (I didn't take any pics - sorry)

Now, for those who have forgotten, I have one of the "large bore" handi's with a .432 sized bore.  The gold dots are sized at .4295.

I suppose the greater pressure with the added case capacity of the 445sm gives them enough umph to bump up to fill the bore.

I also tried a few .44 mag loads with the gold dots and got some nice groups at 50 yards.

Looks like I now have a bullet that I can use in the 445 and my 44.
:D

Offline jeff223

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 11:45:34 AM »
those 270s shot good of of my tender too.i dont know how they will work on deer sized game.im sure they will kill but they are a tough bullet.they might be alittle to tough and will have little expansion,dont know for sure?

you want to check out the group buy on the fat 44cal bullet mold.if you like cast this one might be right up your alley.

Offline MtJerry

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 11:50:29 AM »
I saw that Jeff, but I don't cast my own .. I got enough expensive hobbies right now  :lol:

I didi shoot a nice doe with my 44mag SBH and a gold dot this last season.  Not sure what it would have done ... I spined her ... took a nice big chunk out of the spine and kept right on going.

I would think it would work great for the Super Mag ... but then again, I'm ok with pass thru shots that have little or no expansion.  They don't go far with a 44 cal. hole in them.

Offline JPH45

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 12:29:18 PM »
The 270 Gold Dot can be counted on to act just like any 44 cast bullet you would hunt with and leave at least a 44 hole in and out. Killed two with that bullet at a very sedate 1275 fps at the muzzle. Hits were obvious and unmistakeable and deer found their way to my freezer in little of no time. I can only think that faster will be better. The heavy Gold Dots and the XTP's are probably the only bulelts on the market that will perform as advertised as fast as you care to drive them.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline jeff223

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 01:34:21 PM »
thanks John for the info.i plan on shooting anumber of boolits into water filled milk jugs this spring just to see the differances between them.the man at Speer boolit company told me to try them out.he said to line up 5 of them and then shoot the boolits into them.he said i would recover the boolit in the forth or fifth jug.it will be interesting to do this.i guess i might as well start drinking alot of milk now so i have enough jugs. :-D

i know the XTP is one tuff boolit but i like monkey with the others too.i have some 240gr JSP SPEER GOLD DOTS to try out.i like the 240s in my tender as the recoil is alittle less.with 300gr boolits the recoil is alittle sharp

Jerry maybe when this group buy is done i can ship a few of them 265gr boolits off to you to try out.

Offline MtJerry

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 01:36:39 PM »
Quote from: jeff223
thanks John for the info.i plan on shooting anumber of boolits into water filled milk jugs this spring just to see the differances between them.the man at Speer boolit company told me to try them out.he said to line up 5 of them and then shoot the boolits into them.he said i would recover the boolit in the forth or fifth jug.it will be interesting to do this.i guess i might as well start drinking alot of milk now so i have enough jugs. :-D

i know the XTP is one tuff boolit but i like monkey with the others too.i have some 240gr JSP SPEER GOLD DOTS to try out.i like the 240s in my tender as the recoil is alittle less.with 300gr boolits the recoil is alittle sharp

I'm eagerly awaiting this range report ... and make sure you take pictures .. LOTS of pictures!!!

Offline .308

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 02:29:17 PM »
Hmmm, that is good news Jerry. I had dismissed them and figgered the only jacketed bullets that would shoot in my .432" bore would be the .430 inchers if any would at all.  :cry:  I can't wait to get my hands on that new mould that Jeff's doing.  8)

Offline jeff223

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 02:51:21 PM »
Lamar my home computer is down again so can you keep me informed as to what is going on at cast boolits.the computer at work has a block in it so i cant get in there at cast boolits.DAM COMPUTERS :evil:

:-D also Lamar have you seen the B/H BROTHERS are alittle more active again? :-D

Offline .308

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 03:29:43 AM »
I'm sending  you a p/m. :D

Edit:
P/M sent.
Yep, I've noticed their increase in activity, but it's not like it once was. :)