Author Topic: Does camo pattern matter?  (Read 3778 times)

Offline Rodeo Rustler

• Trade Count: (0)
Does camo pattern matter?
« on: January 03, 2006, 11:05:49 AM »
All,

I am planning my first elk and deer hunting trip next year in the Colorado Rocky Mountains.  I am wanting to get my camo coat and bibs while on sale but don't really know what the best pattern to get is.  Does it really matter as far as being spotted or does basic hunting technique play a larger role (i.e. scents and staying still)?

Thanks for the help!

RR

Offline Don Fischer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 11:23:10 AM »
Probally nobody will believe this but I happened into perfect cammo by accident. I'd had my knee operated and was supposed to be on crutches one year so wasn't doing a lot of hunting. Was on a friends ranch durning hunting season that year and decided to try a short walk, I had on jeans and a white t-shirt. My bad knee forced me to move very very slowly and moving up a creek bed, I spotted several does. I stopped and watched them and they would look at me every so often. Finally I started moving closer, very slowly. I was damn near on top of them befor they left. I though about it and came to the conclusion that my white t-shirt looked like a deers rump so they didn't become alarmed. I've tried it since and it works every time! Go figure!!!!!!!!!
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline Tn Jim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 11:52:29 AM »
I may get flamed but here's my two cents. Technique is 95%+. Ray Eye once said he could kill a turkey in a Santa Claus suit, and did to prove it. If you utilize proper technique any camo pattern will work. Using a pattern that closely matches the terrain can/may help.
Not all Muslims are terrorist, but oddly enough, all terrorist are Muslims.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 12:27:30 PM »
I think anything that breaks up your out line works just fine.  My understanding is that deer dont see colors like we do.  Supposedly they see more in the black, white, gray tones.  Actually I think at any distance most camo patterns just blob into a solid color anyway.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline bladerunner

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 03:03:20 PM »
My dad used to hunt in jeans and a flannel shirt and killed more big deer tyhan i have.....I really don't think the deer see anything but movement and blobs

having said that,i still dress in full camo,including gloves and facemask...I just feel more confident

camo pattern depends on terrain hunted
Good shot placement + well constructed bullet = DEAD

Matt B.

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 04:14:11 PM »
Buy whatever's cheap then spit on your finger and hunt toward the cool side.

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 02:47:56 AM »
Kind of makes you wonder if maybe the Indians and early hunters/settlers had camo would there be anything left?  
  Good thing they didn`t have any.  
  There is no doubt that camo helps but it`s not the end all. You can wear it but most states say you must wear Orange( safety colors) that meet certain size requirements. Camo with an orange over-lay.
   Camo is relatively new in hunting terms plus it helps in the overall
   atmosphere of the hunt but it`s just one of the tools used. IMO
   Sure beats wearing a bright Orange Jump Suit though.

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline jhm

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 03:48:52 AM »
Savage 250 :  Just think about it for a minute the indians and settlers didnt have all the various patterns of camo, or the various bottles of scent blocker or ultralite super fast bows with lighted sights stabalizers and of course the hottest magnum on the market with the best scope Visa can buy, and today there are more deer in this country than there was back then, Maybe they killed more than we saw on the old movies? :D   JIM

Offline Rodeo Rustler

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 09:43:39 AM »
Thanks for all the input.  I've been told by others that I just need something to break up my outline...so I probably will not worry as much on matching the EXACT surroundings.

Thanks again!

RR

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 12:24:16 PM »
I understand that Whitetail and others of that ilk do not see colors in the same infra-red range that we do and therefore would not necessarily be able to distinguish one camo pattern from another.  Taking that into consideration and the experiences and successes of older hunters who never used camoflage I have often wondered about the real utility of different camo patterns.  

The older guys used red checked Woolrich shirts and the like or anything else they would/could throw on to keep them warm.  However, much of that type of clothing I have seen is older and well used.  They come with ground in dirt and outdoors work stains and that might appear natural to game animals.

Tn Jim added that using a proper technique and there is a heck of a lot more to that than one might normally imagine.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2006, 12:39:50 PM »
camo pattern absolutely does not matter

Offline CJ

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2006, 06:12:14 PM »
Gotta agree with most of you, avoid solids, dont stink, and keep movement to a minimum and you'll be fine.
NRA Lifer

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2006, 02:35:26 AM »
Quote from: jhm
Savage 250 :  Just think about it for a minute the indians and settlers didnt have all the various patterns of camo, or the various bottles of scent blocker or ultralite super fast bows with lighted sights stabalizers and of course the hottest magnum on the market with the best scope Visa can buy, and today there are more deer in this country than there was back then, Maybe they killed more than we saw on the old movies? :D   JIM

If they (the Indians) would have had all that good stuff then maybe we`d
    be living on a reservation.

Offline JEFF WARD2

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2006, 01:56:24 AM »
i myself dont worry to much about what kind of camo im wearing, ive killed way to many whitetail in jeans and flannels, while bowhunting. i do however like to wear old faded out jeans but not too faded and eart toned flannel shirts, washed in u.v. killer soap i wash them enough to where when i walk in the bush that they dont sound like fabric scraping on limbs..
i also like to cover my face and hands...
i think that most of the camo is just being fashonable, and it is way over priced...just my 2 cents..and what has been my own experince...jeff
one good shot is worth the wait !!!

Offline biglmbass

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2006, 07:49:29 AM »
My favorite camo, and by far the most effective, is called by several names.  A few of them are Discontinued, Clearance, Half-off, 75% off, or sometimes Blowout.  Best time to buy this camo is the week after deer season closes.  Good luck finding it in your size.

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2006, 12:08:58 PM »
you forgot "surplus"... I've worn army surplus pants for years.  5-10$ a pair.

Offline biglmbass

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2006, 04:24:38 AM »
Very true.  Surplus camo is as equally effective as the others I mentioned.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2006, 12:21:04 PM »
:D If I never get another one I think I have killed my share of deer, both whitetailed and mulies.  There has also been a good number of elk.  I hunted many years in jeans and a bright red jacket and cap, I killed just as many deer then as I do today in camo...............I don't think it really matters what you have on.   :wink:

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2006, 02:24:03 PM »
Its worth repeating, all the camo in the world, and all the go stink in the world, and all of the latest gizmoes designed to trap hunters in the world ain't gonna help you one bit if you can't sit still.  If you've gotta fidget, amd move around and smoke and chew and make noise and talk on your cell phone or walkie talkie and so forth, you're gonna be a lousy hunter no matter what you're wearing.  

One example from many, I was back in the woods cutting fire wood, I put my chain saw down, sat down beside it to take a break, and promptly nodded off.  When I woke up, a doe deer was standing about 25 feet from me.  Giving me the once over.  I didn't move nor did I look directly at the doe but rather looked at her from the corner of my eyes.  She would crane her head way up and drop it down and stamp her feet while peering intently at me.  When I didn't move, she would move a couple of steps closer.  This went on until she actually reached out and smelt the toe of my boot.  She then backed off and eased away, stopping every so often to look back at me.  
I had on my official wood cutting uniform which was a pair of coveralls and a shirt that had seen several days service.  I had been working and sweating most of the day so I daresay I was rather pungent.  My underwear and socks had started the day out fresh as had I but my boots were just old wear around the farm leather boots.  
Is this what I wear when I go deer hunting?  No, but you get my point.
 :grin:

Offline ronbow

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2006, 05:34:56 AM »
Quote from: beemanbeme
Buy whatever's cheap then spit on your finger and hunt toward the cool side.
This is the best damn advice I have ever seen. Cuts right through all the marketing crap. Thanks bee.

Offline Larry Gibson

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2006, 06:26:55 PM »
Quote from: Don Fischer
Probally nobody will believe this but I happened into perfect cammo by accident. I'd had my knee operated and was supposed to be on crutches one year so wasn't doing a lot of hunting. Was on a friends ranch durning hunting season that year and decided to try a short walk, I had on jeans and a white t-shirt. My bad knee forced me to move very very slowly and moving up a creek bed, I spotted several does. I stopped and watched them and they would look at me every so often. Finally I started moving closer, very slowly. I was damn near on top of them befor they left. I though about it and came to the conclusion that my white t-shirt looked like a deers rump so they didn't become alarmed. I've tried it since and it works every time! Go figure!!!!!!!!!

As silly as it sounds I've got to agree with Don. Back when I bow hunted I killed more deer/elk with blue jeans and a white t-shirt on than when all cammo'd up. I've also killed more coyotes on call (rifle, handgun and shotgun) when wearing plain clothes than when all camo'd up. I've had all sorts of critters from deer to pissed off turkeys come to my coyote calls when I was just sitting still in jeans and a bright colored shirt. I've found it is mostly movement that gives you away, not your looks, followed by outline (stand next to a tree or snuggle close to a bush). When you are moving it doesn't matter how well you are camo'd, they will see you. Don has a good point.

Larry Gibson

Offline TreyAzagthoth

• Avid Poster
Re: Does camo pattern matter?
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2006, 07:10:48 AM »
I dont think it matters, I dont think the deer will look and say "uh oh he is wearing realtree hardwoods when he should be wearing mossyoak forest i'm out of here" ;D
I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?"
Well, to tell the truth I shoot a Springfield XD so it doesnt really matter.

Offline TNrifleman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2006, 03:41:05 AM »
I may get flamed but here's my two cents. Technique is 95%+. Ray Eye once said he could kill a turkey in a Santa Claus suit, and did to prove it. If you utilize proper technique any camo pattern will work. Using a pattern that closely matches the terrain can/may help.

I believe that TN Jim has it right!

Offline Dee

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2006, 03:37:25 PM »
Savage 250 I think you may be on to something there. My ancestors Cherokee (Dad's a full blood) realized it was more about movement and wind direction. I use camo when I'm hunting educated predators but the rest of the time. Nope!
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2006, 03:50:16 PM »
Often heard it said that camo is more for the hunters than the prey.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline daddywpb

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2006, 11:17:50 PM »
I think Realtree and Mossy Oak have gotten real good at marketing to all of us hunters. Does it really matter? Who knows, it could just be a confidence builder. I think as long as you break up your outline, you should be good to go. I've seen old video footage of Fred Bear sneaking within feet of deer, elk and bear with a bright red long sleeve flannel shirt and brown khaki looking pants - and of course that hat that he always wore. I think stealth and woodsmanship are more important than having the latest designer tag hanging off your camo. Sorry Bill Jordan.

Offline dakotashooter2

• A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2006, 09:41:47 AM »
I quit trying to find the perfect camo years ago. I mostly hunt in surplus wool pants in a green/gray shade and whatever brown/gray camo shirt/ coat that has the comfort and storage features I like.  I have hunted strictly on the ground for the last 5 years and can't even count the number of deer that have walked within yards of me sometimes from downwind with hardly a second look or concern. I've even had success with the bow wearing blaze orange.  Its all about stealth. If also found that even when discovered deer will hang around longer if you make slow movements than fast. I often see guys snap the gun to their shoulder when a deer spots them which usually results in the deer instantly reacting where slowly bringing the gun up often causes them to pause for a better shot or just move off a short distance to offer another opportunity. If you look at most camo patterns they are most effective under very specific light conditions. The problem is that in the woods the chances of having those conditions at any given time are very slim. You can bet that the pictures you see in the ads are a result of waiting for the right lighting. I also think that camo on anything smaller than your pair of boots is pretty much a wast of time. The patterns generally get too small to keep from blending into a solid color at more than a few feet away. The biggest atraction of camo for me is that the clothing itself is designed for hunters. Pattern is irrelevant though if I find a nice open patern like predator I will buy it if the price is right. my thoery is whatever your wear mismatch it. That way it is likely that at least a part of your body will reasonably blend with the terrain under any given circumstance. If you can even break the human form into 2-3 large areas of various shades you'll be ahead of the game.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline dougk

• Moderators
  • Driftwood TEXAS
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2006, 03:55:07 AM »
I always say its not how good you are but how good you look and now how good you dont smell....   :o   ;D :D

So I buy the cheap stuff from Walmart and it works fine.  I like the cheap stuff because I dont care if it gets ruined... 

Now I understand deer are color blind in the yellow and reds spectrum but see the blue...

Offline Dee

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2006, 12:17:36 PM »
Ya know what? I've been thinking about this awhile. Back in the fifties and early sixties I didn't know what camflage clothing was (I live in a real small town). My hunting went just as well as it does today. My Grandfather and Father are full blood Cherokee and they never complained about hunting success either and they never even owned camoflage. Along about the late 60s I started reading GUN MAGAZINES! To my great distress I found that my 30-30 was only good for whitetail and then only out to about 125 yards. I was made to realize that I NEEDED a bigger more expensive rifle. During 20 years of law enforcement these same magazines told me that a 357mag. revolver was obsolete. I NEEDED MORE FIRE POWER! Never mind that FBI statistics involving officers in shootings had not changed in over 20 years and still havn't on the number of rounds fired. Oh yea! Less than 4 rounds for the officer and bad guy COMBINED. So I bought the bigger rifles (thats RIFLES plural) and the shoot a lot pistols. Then I got older (much older) and found that for the most part gun writers are full of crap. A 30-30 and a 357mag revolver do so work! Now we got this camoflage stuff. I buy the Wal-Mart stuff too. SOMETIMES! Just because it's cheap and my wife doesn't grip when I hang up on a fence. Ya know what? I think them camo salesmen are full of crap too! ;)   
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2006, 08:25:44 AM »
i don't use camo. i killed elk,hogs, small game and others without camo. most of the time i just have on some grey pants with a green shirt. i don't use camo because i cost to much and i hot to have on.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends