Author Topic: heat treated vs. non treated receivers  (Read 18113 times)

Offline cjrjck

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Contributor
Re: heat treated vs. non treated receivers
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2011, 09:49:45 AM »
For quick reference without having to remove the stock or forend, the fastest way I can usually tell if a receiver is an sb1 or an sb2 is to look at the space behind the hammer and release lever. On an sb2, there is normally a defined notch just behind the release lever. On an sb1, there is normally no defined notch. It is almost straight across. This is true of the sb1 and sb2 receivers I have seen but there may be exceptions and I know some of the pre-sb receivers are different.

Offline garbhead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
  • A Real Regular
  • For every Goliath, there is a stone.
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2011, 10:17:42 AM »
That notch rule may work in general, but don't bet your life on it..I found a 20 ga frame with the notch in it....so better look for the skeleton under the butt stock screw or you may become a skeleton...
12g shortie w/chokes,Tamer .410,12g "Buck" slug gun w/20g extra barrel, 12g smooth bore tracker I, 45/410 w/22vp matched set, 7mm-08, .308 20",

my avatar pic is my 1960 Rambler I bought in 1972 for $175..6 banger 3-on-the-tree...drove it for 5 yrs  22mpg.. was "hot-rodding" (LOL) one night...tore out 1st/reverse gear. Drove it that way for 2 yrs(with no reverse and only 2nd and high)  Had to really plan ahead when parking.
sold it for $125
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.--Mark Twain

Politicians should only be allowed one term in office, then one term in jail.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2011, 06:47:21 PM »
For quick reference without having to remove the stock or forend, the fastest way I can usually tell if a receiver is an sb1 or an sb2 is to look at the space behind the hammer and release lever. On an sb2, there is normally a defined notch just behind the release lever. On an sb1, there is normally no defined notch. It is almost straight across. This is true of the sb1 and sb2 receivers I have seen but there may be exceptions and I know some of the pre-sb receivers are different.

I agree with garb, you just don't have a big enough pool of H&Rs to say that to be true in all cases, I've only got a few SB1 frames, the older '91 Pardner has a notch behind the release that looks almost identical to several older SB2 frames I have(out of a total of 39 including late model frames), it's not quite as deep, but the notch on the older SB2 frames aren't near as pronounced as newer frames,  so it may be true for newer frames, but at what point in time did they make the change? I wouldn't recommend using that to determine the frame type when there are other definite characteristics that are reliable.  ;) I'm not talking non-SB pre'87 frames either, I have none of those except the model 1900.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2011, 06:28:46 AM »
The notch may be a quick check to see if you are even interested in going further, after that, if I understand this correctly, the easiest check is to drop the forearm and see if those 'ribs' are at the spacer contact of the knuckle. We dont have any evidence of SB-1s with those ribs, do we?
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Kiwi Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2011, 01:28:54 PM »
The notch may be a quick check to see if you are even interested in going further, after that, if I understand this correctly, the easiest check is to drop the forearm and see if those 'ribs' are at the spacer contact of the knuckle. We don't have any evidence of SB-1s with those ribs, do we?
Not Sure about this but I think mine is different again ! From what I can work out, my .243 is a New England Arms  serial n# nk = 1996 and only has the cast ridges around the edge of the front of the frame knuckle ! It appears to be a earlier variant

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2011, 02:36:55 PM »
That is what Im characterizing as the 'ribs' on the knuckle of an SB-2.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Kiwi Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2011, 03:47:11 PM »
Yep ,I'm with you now. SB2 = some sort of rib pattern and  SB1 = no  rib pattern . I was just adding a pic  of  my variant into the mix for a reference . There were no serial numbers scribed on the barrel lug to confirm that the frame & barrel were matched @ the factory. But because there are so few of them imported into New Zealand  I would conclude that it would have had  to  be original , as it would be very unlikely that anyone would have swapped over barrels  after arriving down here .
 Cheers Kev

Offline TNBilly

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2012, 08:37:29 AM »
This seems to be an appropriate thread to post differences in firing pins as it's already been commented on already.  If anyone else has additional information, feel free......

Previously it has been commented there were two firing pin sizes between the SB1's and SB2's - I have four so far!

SB1 - NR prefix  measures .096! 
  This is the one I had to go through many loading "hoops" to make it capable of shooting 357 cartridges without excessive primer flow.

SB1 - NC  prefix measures .082
  This one is/was not one of mine but, the measurement was given to me by another GB member that I have confidence was accurate.

SB1 - NM & NH prefix  measures .0735

SB2 - HY & CBA prefix measure .062

Conclusion so far - at least during NEF ownership the "standard" is unpredictable.  If anyone else wants to add additional sizes/entries it would be nice IMHO to keep it all in one post perhaps?

America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.”        Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline ipyrek

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2012, 12:15:13 PM »
H&R should just mark them, and until they do I'll just get my own marked.
28ga.mod.,20ga.mod.,20ga.full,20ga.USH, 20ga.PardnerPump,20ga.StoegerSxS,17hmr, 223Superlight, 357mag/Max,Marlin 336/30-30

Offline catncarp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
  • Contributor
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2012, 12:02:41 AM »
WHY DO THEY HAVE TO MAKE TWO FRAMES, THE COST CAN'T BE THAT GREAT BETWEEN THE TWO
7mm-08,  223, 30-30, 30-30 ai, 357 mag, 357 max TALO, 20 gauge, 50 cal huntsman, 22 mag, 20 gauge smoothbore slug, 30-06-03 target, 20 gauge full,  NRA LIFE MEMBER,