Author Topic: Choice for first C&B revolver  (Read 1278 times)

Offline gdog

• Trade Count: (3)
Choice for first C&B revolver
« on: January 06, 2006, 01:51:29 PM »
Want to get a cap and ball revolver.  It will be my first.  Should I splurge and go for a Ruger or start out with a Remington or Colt (repros)?
John 3:16

Gordon

Offline Chris

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 02:30:32 PM »
Ruger if it fits your budget.

...Chris   :D
"An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike!" Spiro Agnew

Offline Evil Dog

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 05:11:59 PM »
Ruger costs a bit more but is well worth the difference.  Personally I prefer the stainless fixed sight version with the longer barrel.
Evil Dog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote. - Benjamin Franklin (1759)

Offline Will52100

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 04:16:38 AM »
Ruger pro's, it's probably rite right out of the box with no tinkering needed.  Con's, it's expensive comparied to other cap and ball guns.

Me I find it hard to beat eigther a colt navy or army repo, but everyone I've had I've had to tinker a little, whether it's just changing nipples or in one case milling a burr left in the hammer slot on the frame out.

As for the stainless issue, I have one stainless gun and everything else is blue.  Never had a rust problem with any.
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline Shorty

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 11:15:08 AM »
I wouldn't have a Ruger Old Army any more than I'd have an in-line.  They just aren't "real". :wink:
That said, I'd go with Remington repro's as Colts have too many problems with barrel assembly fits.  KISS!  :)

Offline Andrew Quigley

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 06:42:47 AM »
Well I don't own a Ruger Old Army myself although they are quality guns. Just don't care for the looks of the loading lever but that's just me.
 My first was a pair of 58 Remington's in 44 from Cabela's. Still have one of them and it's a tack driver. But my hands are a little small and that reach is pretty long on the Remington so I bought a Uberti made 1860 in 44cal. Had the barrel cut down to 5 1/2" and it's real sweet.
 At the SASS convention a couple years back I handled a pair of 1851 Frontiersman's in 36 cal made by Uberti and sold through Navy Arms. Talked with Wolfbait (?) about them as he'd shot a pair of them for a year and he told me how sweet they shot. I was sold and bought a pair as soon as I got back home.
 Have since shot them for 2 years and have turned them into my main match pistols. They have the 5" barrel and shoot conicals in them over 15grs of goex fffg with great success.
 My advice is to pick a style YOU like best and handle one before you buy. Make sure you cna cock the hammer one handed without making the barrel wobble to much. That was what  made me switch to Colts over the Remington.
 Well that's my two cents.

Andrew Quigley
Andrew

"Lost!!  Ain't never been lost. Fearsum confused for 2 or 3 months but never lost!!"

Offline Fiveshooter

Get The Old Army
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 06:44:36 PM »
:D Get the Old Army by Ruger and don't look back. I would only buy it in stainless. True enough that it is not a replica of any historical arm. It is however the best made and most reliable C&B revolver made today. By reliable I mean less likely to break under heavy use. Don't let the cost put you off as many of the better grade Italian replicas are getting expensive as well. I have a few examples of Italian replicas and although they are fun to shoot the quality is not even close to the Ruger. I wish an American maker would start making replica C&B revolvers with the proper metal hardness. It would be worth the extra $ to have better quality guns. As to ajustable or non ajustable sights that should be determined by your intended use of the gun. If you get the Old Army and decide to use heavier conical bullets the fixed sighted model does not come with a tall enough front sight. Even the ajustable sighted Old Army will need a taller front sight for heavy conicals. If you are shooting round ball only the fixed sighted Old Army should serve you well. I have a brace of the 5.5" barreled models with fixed sights. Both shoot round balls to P.O.A. with only minor reduction of front sight height.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level then beat you with experience." Not sure who first said this,but it makes sense.
Best Regards,
                   Billy

Offline Georgian

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 06:51:39 PM »
Well, I'd say go traditional, its the only way to go with Cap and Ball pistols. You got the 1860 Army, 1851 Navy, Remingont New Model Army, 1861 Navy, 1848 Dragoon, etc. I'm mean all of em are good lead slingers, just pick one that suits your taste.
~Speak softly and carry a big stick~T. Roosevelt

~I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.~J. Wayne