Author Topic: Favorite Reactive Target  (Read 1300 times)

Offline ShootnStr8

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Favorite Reactive Target
« on: March 11, 2003, 04:31:48 PM »
Gang,

I was wondering what your favorite reactive target is when it comes to handgun shooting.  I was first thinking of things such as cans and jugs full of water.  But then I got thinking that groundhogs might be considered biodegradable, self-erecting targets that are certainly reactive. So I guess I will go with the groundhogs that I shoot with a Contender in a 7-30 Waters using a 100 grain Hornady.  So what are your favorites and what kind of handgun do you use?

Blessings!

ShootnStr8
There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus.
--Blaise Pascal

Offline KN

• Trade Count: (0)
Favorite Reactive Target
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2003, 05:13:58 PM »
Flies or butterflies if they will land on your target. There seems to be a small window durring the year that they invade the local range.

Offline crawfish

• Contributor
Reactive Targets
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2003, 08:18:33 PM »
I have lots depending on what I'm shooting. Charcoal briquettes, ice cubes, balloons, 20oz soda bottles filled with water, dueling post (usually my youngest son and I), and the most reactive of all the Bullz-I exploding target. I have some left which can't be replaced because BATF has run the company out of business. :cry:
Love those .41s'

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Favorite Reactive Target
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2003, 12:37:38 AM »
deer :-D
blue lives matter

Offline Savage

Favorite Reactive Target
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2003, 02:32:29 AM »
Love shooting steel! From pepper poppers to plates, love the audible and visual feedback! Shoot um with everything from rimfire to centerfire.
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Black Jaque Janaviac

Favorite Reactive Target
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2003, 04:12:49 AM »
Hmm,  pop cans and milk jugs are nice and easy to pick up afterwards.

Hanging steel gongs and bells are nice 'cause you don't have to re-set them.  I like the audible feed-back but they have to be far enough away.  Too close and the ring is lost in the gun's report.

I've taking favor to cinderblocks though.  Someone left one at the range and I put it up at 100 yards.  Nice visual cloud of smoke when you hit it.  If you aren't overgunned you can get several hits before re-setting or shattering it.  However the debris can fly back a good 25 yards - so this is not something for close-up fun.

Eggs are fun, apples too.

It kinda depends on the gun.   And egg shot with my .54 muzzle loader isn't much fun because it literally vanished without much trace.  Shoot and egg with a .22 HP and it's interesting.  Vise-versa with milk jugs.
Black Jaque Janaviac - Dat's who!

Hawken - the gun that made the west wild!

Offline coltfan

• Avid Poster
Favorite Reactive Target
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2003, 05:26:19 AM »
The problem with living in suburbia is that you have to go to the local gun clubs to shoot, and most clubs post a NRA paper target only rule. The club I have been considering re-joining, has a plinking range, but it’s only a 15 to 20 yard range. It’s OK for shooting 22’s, but I want to sharpen my long-range skills. I have always enjoyed groundhogs for that. In fact I prefer to use my deer hunting loads for this just so I can get accustomed to the trajectory and recoil of my hunting loads.

Offline Black Jaque Janaviac

Favorite Reactive Target
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2003, 07:00:56 AM »
Uggh! Paper targets only?!

I understand the reasoning for cleaning up the range and all, but talk about discouraging people from enjoying the sport!

Sometimes I think ranges like that are the second worst thing to the shooting sports next to the bad press guns get.

I can honestly say I would not shoot if all I could do was shoot paper.
Black Jaque Janaviac - Dat's who!

Hawken - the gun that made the west wild!

Offline msmith

Favorite Reactive Target
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2003, 07:10:46 AM »
Paintballs with a .22 is kinda fun.
Mike

Offline Charlie Detroit

• Contributor
Favorite Reactive Target
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2003, 03:07:44 AM »
Dragonflies, at close range, with the handgun loaded with shot. The most unpredictable target in the world...these guys can change direction on a dime and give a nickel back, they can suddenly stop in midair, and just as suddenly start up again. Drives ya nuts.
I ain't paranoid but every so often, I spin around real quick.--just in case
Sometimes I have a gun in my hand when I spin around.--just in case
I ain't paranoid, but sometimes I shoot when I spin around.--just in case

Offline Hcliff

• Avid Poster
Favorite Reactive Target
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2003, 05:47:58 AM »
Iraqis, or  Osama Bin Lauden

Sorry could resist  :)

Hcliff

Offline Original Ken

Favorite Reactive Target
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2003, 06:25:57 AM »
Our club also has a rule on NRA paper targets only on the indoor range.  The only exception is the outdoor range where we have a bowling pin area.  While they are fun to shoot they don't take the place of reactive targets.  I remember years ago (way to many years!!!) when my dad and I used to spend a Saturday afternnon sitting on top of a hill near a garbage dump waiting on the rats to come out.  Now those rats were reactive shooting!!!  Plink one and catch the others on the run.  I practice weekly on the range and it does get boring just shooting holes in paper.  Would much rather skip cans and shooting paintballs sounds fun.  Problem is that the places near where I live have all but disappeared and you just can't find the open territory to do those things in anymore.  Oh well, I guess that is the price we pay for urban development.   :D
This Be The Original Ken
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

Shooters: We have lost an old friend, and I am saddened by his passing. Ken Stufft, who we knew as The Original Ken, passed away unexpectedly on March 22, 2004.

Offline Questor

Favorite Reactive Target
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2003, 06:32:50 AM »
I think today's politically correct answer would be "Iraqi soldiers".
Safety first

Offline volshooter

• Contributor
Favorite Reactive Target
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2003, 12:11:13 PM »
I use short pcs of PVC pipe (from jobsites) They bust like glass when hit. Don't use them if you have to clean up your shooting hole cause they shatter alot.
Rick :D

Offline MS Hitman

• A Real Regular
Favorite Reactive Target
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2003, 02:28:34 PM »
five gallon buckets filed with diesel fuel and fertilizer.  just kidding

Offline Savage

Favorite Reactive Target
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2003, 02:47:36 PM »
We know who you are!!

Just kidding!!
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
Favorite Reactive Target
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2003, 08:25:10 PM »
Gentlemen:
Please don't shoot butterflies or dragonflies. They are extremely beneficial insects.
Butterflies help the pollination of some plants. Dragonflies eat thousands of mosquitoes.
But wasps and yellow jackets ... FAIR GAME!
Hate the stinging devils. When I lived in Seattle, I used to sit on my back deck and wait for a fat yellowjacket to land on a big blackberry leaf.
A good, yellow target against dark green just waiting to be plinked with a BB rifle.
I often missed, noted the hole on the leaf, and took Kentucky Windage to splat the yellow bugger. The impact of a BB next to them never seemed to bother the little stinging critter.
Those were great days: sit on deck, drink a cold brew, nibble on some chips and splat yellowjackets in the blackberry patch ... ahhhhhhhh
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."

Offline williamlayton

Favorite Reactive Target
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2003, 12:54:12 AM »
i am very fond of turtles, snakes,frogs,armidillos,nutra,floating sticks,rats,carp,possums, anything that floats down river :grin:
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Bob/FLA

• Avid Poster
Flour Sacks
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2003, 02:13:04 AM »
Try small baggies of flour tied on a string, about 1 tablespoon.  A direct hit is eventful!  It also swings in any wind and offers a challenging, inantimate object to sharpen our skills.  I would find it hard to explain to my young son why I was killing butterflies for my entertainment.
Thanks!
Bob

Visit our website at:
www.nativeamericanarchery.com
Or contact us at:
naa@nativeamericanarchery.com