Author Topic: Hey Remington! You out there?  (Read 991 times)

Offline Gatofeo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Hey Remington! You out there?
« on: March 11, 2003, 04:53:45 PM »
I hope the marketing people at Remington Arms drop by this section.
When, oh when will Remington realize that many of us would clamor to buy a REAL Remington .44 and .36 cap and ball revolver?
America's oldest gun maker should realize the popularity of its design. Why let all that good, American money go to Italy and Spain?
Don't get me wrong. The Italians make good cap and ball revolvers but I'd pay a little extra for REMINGTON ARMS on the barrel of a cap and ball revolver.
I'd like to see them make the standard 1858 and then the little .31 pocket model with a steel frame. Never cared for brass frames; look like they came out of a Cracker Jack box (and most of them are of poor quality too).
C'mon Remington! We want a REAL Remington in our hands!
You listening?
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."

Offline 1860

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2003, 01:59:43 AM »
Gatofeo,

Couple of things, 1) If the current quality of Remington's present guns is any indication of what their 58 might be, I'd probably pass, they've been on a downhill slide lately as far as quality goes.  2) If they did build one, I would hope it would be a True Remington, not some high priced,reworked Italian clone like the Colt Black powder guns.  

It would be nice, but it would also be expensive as a get-out if it were truely made here.. I like the Colt style better anyways.... :-)

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2003, 04:22:01 PM »
Actually, I like the Colt style myself too. It's better balanced and lighter.
And if the Colt's wedge is tight, it will shoot just as tight as the Remington. The Colt is easier to clean too.
But I'd still like a Remington. Call me crazy.
I have a Colt 2nd generation 1851 Navy I purchased new in 1982.
Yes, the frame and major parts were roughly made in Italy. But the final work, fitting and polish were done by Colt.
And my 1851 Navy exhibits very high quality, even if it does have an Italian accent.
I've even had people tell me that it's not a real Colt. Balderdash! It was marketed by Colt and bears Colt's name. Good enough for me.
But what the heck? Some Brownings and Winchesters are made in Japan, yet exhibit very high quality.
Like you, I'd prefer an all-American made pistol. Sad to say, that's probably not possible. Even American cars have a lot of foreign parts in them.
I wasn't aware that Remington's quality had gone downhill lately. That's a sad shock to me.
I'd still like a Remington Army, Navy or Pocket model with REMINGTON on it. Every time I look at the ADDRESS SAM'L COLT - NEW YORK on the barrel of my 1851 Navy I get a little nostalgic.
And who can afford an original today?

Offline 445 SUPERMAG

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2003, 12:14:35 PM »
I hear ya gat, and just think if Rem would make '58s again they would be originals, not reproductions. I doubt Rem will make handguns of any type anymore. When Smith gave into the Klinton admin. thats bout same time Rem stopped making da XP-100 dammit!
See my revolver stands.             http://community.webtv.net/V445SuperMag/BLACKPOWDERPISTOL

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2003, 05:00:20 PM »
Remington doesn't make the XP-100?
News to me. But then, my interest never lay in such things so I don't keep much track.
Besides, I never once considered the XP-100 to be a handgun, even if it is by definition. I always considered it an extra-short rifle, and an ugly little one at that!
But those who have them love them. I hear it's a very accurate little cuss so I can't disparage it too much.
Imagine if Remington remade its cap and ball and 1875 cartridge revolver!
Wow!
Hmmmm ... I'll have to write Remington.
I can almost hear them now ... "Yes, Mr. Gatofeo! We'll get right on it Mr. Gatofeo! Nickel plated, blued and stainless like you asked, Mr. Gatofeo! And an Army model with adjustable sights too, Mr. Gatofeo!"

Sheesh .... ya know yer getting old when ya fantasize about guns instead of girls ...  :roll:

Offline Charlie Detroit

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2003, 02:20:56 AM »
I know what you mean about the M1858...I had a good Italian one years ago, and I'm sorry to this day that I got rid of it. I found it to shoot very well, and, in my opinion (which ain't so humble), it was easier to clean than the Colts. I used the "disassemble and boil" method, followed by 200° oven for 5 minutes. Squirt everything with the rust-preventive oil of your choice and you're done. Boiling a Colt is a pain.
However, I also have to agree that my CBAC Colt M1861 is a real beauty, and beauty is as beauty does. It will group with the best of 'em, and is a pleasure to shoot.
I ain't paranoid but every so often, I spin around real quick.--just in case
Sometimes I have a gun in my hand when I spin around.--just in case
I ain't paranoid, but sometimes I shoot when I spin around.--just in case