Author Topic: Anyone shot 20 ga. Brenneke Silver Slugs in rifled barrel?  (Read 455 times)

Offline gimphunter

• Trade Count: (1)
Anyone shot 20 ga. Brenneke Silver Slugs in rifled barrel?
« on: January 10, 2006, 04:11:26 PM »
First post here. Howdy!

Anyone shot these 1 oz. Brenneke Silver Slugs in a 20 ga. Tracker II or USH?

Brenneke says they are for rifled or smoothbore barrels. I've had good accuracy with them in a smoothbore, and I'm about to send my receiver off for some more barrels.

I know folks have had bad leading with Foster slugs in rifled barrels, but I believe these are harder than the typical rifled slug.

I plan to pick a hunting load from the various high-velocity sabot loads, but I already have some of the Brennekes on hand and was hoping that I could zero the new barrel with them and maybe practice with them, too.

D

Offline Paul Mohr

• Trade Count: (0)
Anyone shot 20 ga. Brenneke Silver Slugs in
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 11:01:50 AM »
I haven't shot those, but I used the Gold Magnums that are made for a rifled barrel this season. They were ok, I have shot other rifled slugs that were more accurate but your gun my be different. It killed the deer I shot with it.

They still fouled my barrel out pretty fast though, not much different than the winchester rifled slugs I tried for half the price. I'm going to pony up the money next year and go with a modern sabot like the Winchester Platinums or something.

Oh, and you may be able to sight the rifle in with them, like get it on paper but not zero it. When you switch the sabots there is a good chance your impact point will shift. I've noticed my H&R is very picky with different ammo in this regards. I can shoot different kinds of ammo that will group well, but actually impact in different spots. First find one that groups well, then fine tune your zero. And don't change ammo without checking your zero again before hunting with it. It may not always change, but it can.

Paul
AKA Psyco Smurf

Offline gimphunter

• Trade Count: (1)
Anyone shot 20 ga. Brenneke Silver Slugs in
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 01:36:24 PM »
Paul,

Thanks for the info. It's just what I was looking for -- that is, "Do the Brenneke slugs lead as bad as other "rifled" slugs in a rifled barrel?" I think the 12 ga. Gold Magnum is basically the same design as the 20 ga. Silver Slug.

And thanks for the good advice about group size versus group location (zero).  Efficiency is important at $2.00 per shot.

Best,
David