Author Topic: Rugged 4 power, Nikon or Weaver  (Read 791 times)

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
Rugged 4 power, Nikon or Weaver
« on: January 11, 2006, 09:11:05 PM »
What I need in a scope is ruggedness.  I want it to come down the chute in an aluminum gun case still sighted in after 1300 miles on American Airlines. I want this scope to go from Humid hot texas to humid cool Alaska with zero glitches. Absolute perfection in optics while nice is second to it being able to go from 30 feet above sea level to 11.000 feet above in below freezing temperatures. I am perfectly happy with 4 power as all my hunting in the last ten years has precluded shots over 300 yards. I also feel it should be able to take a week of bouncing around in a scabbard mounted on a 4 wheeler without loosing zero. So will either the Nikon Buckmaster 4x40 or the Weaver K4 take this treatment?
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline CEJ1895

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 03:02:37 AM »
rickt300 - I mean no offense to you but if I were spending the money to head up to Alaska from Texas for a hunt I'd sure spend a little more on the equipment I was taking with me. I'd go with a better model Nikon, Burris or Leupold rather than to risk it all on a cheaper scope. I know that any scope can fail but you're increasing your chances with cheaper optics. I hope you have a great trip with whatever you bring with you! CEJ...
If I can't take my rifles with me, I don't want to go!

Offline rickt300

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 05:31:17 AM »

Offline Ahab

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 05:32:30 AM »
Like CEJ, I recommend going up in price a bit. The single power scopes tend to be more rugged and are making a comeback. After many years of owning Leos, all but one, variables. I bought a 6X42 Nikon Monarch last year and have been very happy with it. Seems to be a lot more brighter during low light conditions and has a better field of view at 6x. :-D
NRA Endowment
Arizona Bighorn Sheep Society member
Arizona Antelope Foundation member

Offline rickt300

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 05:33:37 AM »
I generally go on business during hunting season and the trip's expense is paid for by the company. Ine of the reasons for the preference for four power scopes is that they are not as bulky as variable scopes. The Nikon Prostaff series is a good example of a well designed scope. I have onethat hasmade the trip twice, a 3x9x40, no problems other than a required sight in when the rifle gets there. I have read on this forum that the Monarch is basically a Buckmaster with improved glass which to me is not important. I will look at the Leupold 4x though.

Offline Ahab

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 05:35:32 AM »
Like CEJ, I recommend going up in price a bit. The single power scopes tend to be more rugged and are making a comeback. After many years of owning Leos, all but one, variables. I bought a 6X42 Nikon Monarch last year and have been very happy with it. Seems to be a lot more brighter during low light conditions and has a better field of view at 6x. :-D
NRA Endowment

Offline rickt300

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 05:35:57 AM »
I generally go on business during hunting season and the trip's expense is paid for by the company. One of the reasons for the preference for four power scopes is that they are not as bulky as variable scopes. The Nikon Prostaff series is a good example of a well designed scope. I have onethat hasmade the trip twice, a 3x9x40, no problems other than a required sight in when the rifle gets there. I have read on this forum that the Monarch is basically a Buckmaster with improved glass which to me is not important. I will look at the Leupold 4x though.

Offline rickt300

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 05:54:28 AM »
I generally go on business during hunting season and the trip's expense is paid for by the company. One of the reasons for the preference for four power scopes is that they are not as bulky as variable scopes. The Nikon Prostaff series is a good example of a well designed scope. I have onethat hasmade the trip twice, a 3x9x40, no problems other than a required sight in when the rifle gets there. I have read on this forum that the Monarch is basically a Buckmaster with improved glass which to me is not important. I will look at the Leupold 4x though. Where does Burris fit in as far as the above guidlines.

Offline Ahab

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 08:39:41 AM »
NRA Endowment

Offline rickt300

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 08:54:30 AM »
I guess we are both experiencing the same Technical dificulty.

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2006, 09:38:40 AM »
I bought a fixed 4X Nikon Prostaff and have been very pleased with it so far........life time warranty on it ........Goes well on my Ruger 77 ultra lite......
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline rickt300

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2006, 05:35:16 AM »
I took Lawdog's advice and used Ebay to get a Leupold 4x33 M8 for  115.00. Haven't recieved it in the mail yet. Sure hope it lives up to leupold legendary reputation.