Author Topic: Interested in an AR Varmint/Target....Help please.  (Read 2537 times)

Offline hardly

• Trade Count: (0)
Interested in an AR Varmint/Target....Help please.
« on: January 13, 2006, 06:35:58 AM »
I was very close to buying a Bushmaster Varmint last year but at the last minute opted for a Tikka Varmint in .223.  Well, that old feeling is coming back around and I'm looking at AR's again.  I have no experience with these types of rifles and my big question is accuracy.  My buddy's and I target shoot and I just don't know what to expect from an AR.  My Tikka will typically do sub- 1/2 inch groups at 100 yds and for my use, I would hate to spend the bucks for an AR and not get the results I am looking for.  Any comments on what kind of accuracy you guys are getting is welcomed.  Also, suggestions on manufacturers and models.  Thanks

Offline gary0529

Re: Interested in an AR Varmint/Target....Help please.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 01:08:55 PM »
Have a RRA in an 18 heavy barrelled varmint and can shoot 1/2 " at 100 yards all day long.
Could not be happier.
Weapon is 1:9 twist barrel and handles bullets up to 80 grains with ease.
Have loaded up 69 gr HPBT and been able to blot out the center of the targets all day long.
Suspect Bushmaster is on par with RRA.
Enjoy whatever you get.  :)

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 04:24:05 AM »
Hi!

I've got the bushy.  I love it!  I have a 6.5x18 leupold scope on it and off I go.  Mine has the 24" fluted barrel.  Get one.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline K.K

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 02:25:53 PM »
The sky, and your check book, are the limit.  I shot a Les Baer the other day at the range and it was a true one-holer.  They guy paid about $3,000 for it though.  For varmints, the suggestions above will do you very well. My Bushmaster won't shoot quite that well, but it sure does a job on the ground hogs! My suggestion is to try and shoot a few to see what you like.  There is a tremendous amount of competition for the AR market and that bodes well for us as the consumers. Good Luck!

Offline sidekick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 03:26:57 PM »
I love my BM Varminteer, but sub one-half inch groups? I don't know. The rifle may be capable, but I haven't been so far. I have shot sub one inch on occasion, and with factory ammo, but sub half inch is getting mighty fine in my book. I'm sure it's been done with the BMV. Maybe one day I will.

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 05:04:05 PM »
A friend of mine has a 24" fluted Bushmaster Varmiter & it shoots very well, he hasn't tried as many loads as I have at this point, but I feel it should be a half inch gun, we shall see.

I have a RRA 24" Varmiter with the Wilson Air Gauged barrel, Nat. Match trigger. I will shoot sub half inch groups over & over with the 60gr. V-Max,  75Hor.OTM,  69 & 77SMK. I am talking 5 shot groups with any of these, some groups are smaller & I am VERY pleased. I got rid of my Rem 700VS 223.

Both the Bushmaster & RRA are great, the RRA is heavier(I don't care but some do) but I feel the RRA has a little better barrel but I have no way to prove it. 
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline wgates011

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 05:19:52 AM »
Here is my varmite gun..

She shoot better than i can.. I handload 55 grain softpoints. I dont like trimming brass all that much so i buy a case hear and their of White box winchesters or federal..  I cant help you with the bushmaster varmint.. I would head over to AR15.com. An awsome resource for anything AR.. alot of good varmit guns cheap in the EE.

Offline LEO

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 03:11:19 AM »
I have a Bushmaster varminter and it will shoot consistent 3/4"  5 shot at 100 yds groups with a variety of ammunition,  I get frequent smaller groups but I am checking my form if the group is over 3/4".  The only thing I would do differently if I were buying the rifle today is I would get the predator model which has a 20" barrel, it would be quite a bit handier to transport, and carry and you would loose very little performance.

Offline kyote

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 08:53:12 AM »
there are a lot of good ar's on the market today.From what I have heard from the know's..todays best pick would be the rock river for your hard earned money( they have several to choose from).I do not own one.as I have several Olympic's,colts and armalites.all are match /varmint/target grade.all shoot very good.If your looking for something very good and have some money.clark custom might be the ticket.
my huntin rifle is safe from confiscation only while my battle rifle protects it.

Offline jasonprox700

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 09:58:07 AM »
I have the Bushmaster Varminter.  Love it.  Will shoot .75" at 100 yards with factory ammo, better with reloads

Offline Phoneman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2006, 02:12:11 PM »
I have a dpms 16in. bull barrel. I can shoot a quarter at 200 yards more times than not. To do it over I would have gotten a fluted barrel to shave off some wieght. I put a jard 3 pound trigger in it. and a panther grip. By far it is the best shooting gun I have ever owned.

Offline jasonprox700

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 07:20:57 AM »
I have a dpms 16in. bull barrel. I can shoot a quarter at 200 yards more times than not. To do it over I would have gotten a fluted barrel to shave off some wieght. I put a jard 3 pound trigger in it. and a panther grip. By far it is the best shooting gun I have ever owned.

Just curious about how much your gun weighs and what you got into it $$?  I am interested in building one that is short and light weight, but can still shoot good.

Offline jasonprox700

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 07:23:37 AM »

Offline Phoneman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2006, 01:07:22 AM »
The gun is 7.75 pounds empty. I use a ten round magazine and normally a 8-24 X 40 mm scope. 4-12 X40 for coyote. I also put 2 sets of millet scope rings on it (because it looks bad @#$) And a small bi pod. I think soon I'm going to put an extra rail on it to raise my scope a little more. Make it more comfortable to shoot. All in all it probably wieghs between 10 to 11 pounds when loaded with the ten rounds.
I got the gun at dealer cost plus tax. $825
scope 1 was $220
scope 2 was $185
mounts $30
extra mag $20
bipod $65
panther grip $24
raised mount $40
JARD trigger $124

total    $1533

My wallet crys everytime. But it is worth it. I don't even want to think about ammo cost. But I have found black hills 60 gr. vmax are a little on the hot side. The best factory ammo I have found are hornady 55gr vmax 1in or under at 200 yards consistantly but the 60 gr. taps did better still. but winchester white box 45gr. do just fine for coyote. they hold less than a 3 in. group at 200 yards. I think I need to start reloading. And with that 16 in. barrel she is noisy. around here in remington country it's a head turner.

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2006, 01:43:32 PM »
I have a Bushmaster varminter and it will shoot consistent 3/4"  5 shot at 100 yds groups with a variety of ammunition,  I get frequent smaller groups but I am checking my form if the group is over 3/4".  The only thing I would do differently if I were buying the rifle today is I would get the predator model which has a 20" barrel, it would be quite a bit handier to transport, and carry and you would loose very little performance.

This gentleman answered the question identical to my thoughts. Our two Bushmaster Varminters must have been put together on the same day.
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline rem700

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2006, 06:53:00 AM »
Have a RRA in an 18 heavy barrelled varmint and can shoot 1/2 " at 100 yards all day long.
Could not be happier.
Have loaded up 69 gr HPBT and been able to blot out the center of the targets all day long.

I thought the RRA was listed as having a 1:8 twist and may account for the accuracy with the heavier bullets.

Offline alien319

• Avid Poster
  • NRA Member
    • East Carolina Predator Hunting Forum
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2007, 04:28:23 AM »
RRA 20" Varmint A4 in .223. That is my choice.  Guaranteed to shoot 3/4" at 100 yards.  Not bad for $1000.
When an Army captain asked him for the direction of the line of retreat, Col Puller called his Tank Commander, gave them the Army position, and ordered: "If they start to pull back from that line, even one foot, I want you to open fire on them."
Turning to the captain, he replied "Does that answer your question?
We're here to fight."
- Chesty Puller at Koto-ri in Korea

Win. Model 94 .30-30, Lakefield Arms MkII .22LR, Mossberg 500 12GA, Ruger P345 .45ACP, Remington 700 .308/McMA4 stock, 1932 Mosin Nagant

USMC-'03-Present

Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran

Offline a45gunslinger

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.zippyvideos.com/8333718701028686/000_0452/
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2007, 06:13:07 AM »
I've got an Armalite lower w/ a dpms upper stainless. Shoots 1/2" groups on command I'm very pleased with it - Kevin

Offline allenr

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2007, 06:25:20 PM »
Could not be happier.

Same rifle but 20" barrel--Same results
Almost forgot--I have bipod and Springfield Gov 223 scope compensated to 700 yard.
This rifle is wayy too heavy for just fun shootin but great for long range varmit huntin.

Offline Wingman26

• Avid Poster
    • Wingman 26 Home Page
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2007, 08:08:52 AM »
This is a 5 shot group at 100 yards from my AR-15, J&T upper kit on a Stag Arms lower receiver, 5.56mm with a 24" stainless bull barrel with a 1-8 twist, JP Rifles single stage trigger   http://jtdistributing.com/index.html

John
Site Staff  http://mp-pistol.com/
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2007, 07:32:26 PM »
Wingman.  What kit are you using?  I recently read a Gun Test Report on the Doublestar, it was rated very high, "a no frills, duty ready rifle,"  is the way it is described in the test.

I have several ARs now, and just acquired several more lowers.  I am looking to build something different, and most likely it will be something from J&T.

I am also considering a Rugar .204 upper.  Any comments on those?

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2007, 01:58:54 PM »
I got the RRA Varmint with an 18" barrel.  I can't find bullets in 60 grain range around here so I mail ordered some.  As soon as they arrive and the weather clears I'm heading to the range.  These things have an awesome trigger right from the factory.

Offline oifvet

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2007, 03:41:31 AM »
I have a Bushmaster Target that I just bought and it is shooting 1" groups with cheap Wolf ammo.  I am loving it just shooting it reminds me of my trusty old M16A2.