Author Topic: Sweets 7.62?  (Read 724 times)

Offline one$$shot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Sweets 7.62?
« on: January 14, 2006, 11:56:47 AM »
I purchased a bottle of Sweets 7.62 in 1987.  It got lost in my garage until a few weeks ago.  Does this stuff freeze or go bad with time?

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
Sweets 7.62?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 12:00:32 PM »
wow thats one year after i was born!!!!!!
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Sweets 7.62?
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 12:17:08 PM »
I am not sure if it freezes or goes bad with time, I would seem to think it does not freeze. If it is in a glass container and froze It most likely would have expanded and broken the container. The one thing I am pretty sure about is '87 was reportedly a very good year, a bit fruity but not excessively so, with a hint of oak and just enough nose, it is best when consumed slightly chilled and goes well with either beef or fish. Good Luck!!!...<><.... :-D  :-D
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Nightrain52

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Sweets 7.62?
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 01:01:26 PM »
Not worth the chance. I would destroy it and get some new. :D
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Sweets 7.62?
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 01:09:36 PM »
I think I agree with Nightrain52, for the small amount it costs, I would replace it, between the heat and cold cycles over the years, it could have degraded chemically, and have different properties that might be bad for the health of your firearms, or the user for that matter. I have some, but the only time I use it is for range cleaning during break in, the amonia content is too high for my concerns to be used regularly.

Wipeout or Outers(Gunslick) foaming cleaners are my cleaners of choice IF you wanta try something new that works extremely well, but won't harm the bore. Just don't get it on an oil or painted finish. :wink:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
Sweets 7.62?
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 01:15:57 PM »
Check the bottle for a website or phone number, plug whatever info you can find into a web search and call the company and ask, they should know, or as suggested, throw it away and buy some more. A phone call might not be to expensive though, they might even have an 800 number....<><.... :grin:

Also the following posts may be of interest....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sweet's

Hi there Brian, sorry that I,ve only just picked up on your posting, but you are asking about using Sweet's in your rifle, and will it have any detrimentally effects on the barrel,?? the answer is no if used properly. Sweet's is a Ammonia Oleictate which is a copper removing soap, the formula for Sweet's is Oleic acid 2-3% rosin 18% 660cc, Ethanol 95% 15% 660cc, Distilled Water 54% 1,940cc, Ammonia 0.98% 13% 520cc, Total 3,830cc ( one US gallon 3,785cc ) it will make a cear yellow liquuid with a sg of 0.95 and a pH of 10 a.pp. this may help you save some cash on buying Sweets as the cost of the cemicals will be about the same as what a 200mm bottle of Sweet's costs. All the best Jacko. :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After I finish using Sweets, I run a patch soaked with carburator cleaner down the bore, let it evaporate and then a patch of kroil followed by two dry patches.
Carb cleaner won't do your stock finish any good either. I've seen some stool shooters that had little "booties" they put over their stock while cleaning. Seems like a good idea.

Sweet's 7.62 is an excellent copper solvent but you can "roll" your own and obtain an even more superior product for copper removal. Most ole timers know it by the name "Blue Goop". Just go down to your local pharmacy or home cleaning supply store and purchase a pint or quart of industrial strength ammonia - I'm not positive on the strength but I think industrial strength is 18%. Pour a small amount (4oz) in a glass jar, insert a pure copper rod/wire and allow the rod to remain in the ammonia until the liquid begins to turn blue - then remove the copper rod/wire and it's ready to use. The liquid will be suitable for cleaning for approximately 2 to 3 months, after that time period it will start to thicken a bit and looses its effectiveness. After you've cleaned the carbon out of the bore, wet a patch with the goop and wrap the patch around the jag so you can bring the patch back to the chamber. Make three passes, one after the other and add just a little more goop each time from the end of the barrel. After the third pass, instead of more goop add a quarter dropper of hydrogen peroxide to the patch and make a full pass. The hydrogen peroxide will make a foamy mess but will aide in dissolving the copper. Wait a couple of minutes and push a clean patch through your bore; you'll see the copper on the patch. Most bores only need 3 or 4 repetitions of this procedure and they will be copper free. The bores that have never seen a copper solvent and have been fired 1,000 times, you'll have to spend a little more time at it but it'll be considerably faster than Sweets and less expensive. Take the same precautions with Blue Goop as you would with Sweets.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
Sweets 7.62?
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2006, 01:40:25 PM »
Quote from: MSP Ret
Check the bottle for a website or phone number,

andy it was bought in 87 i really doubt it has a website on it :D  or did al gore already make it back then?????
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
Sweets 7.62?
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2006, 01:44:15 PM »
(Brain cramp!!!) No I don't really think AlGore invented Sweets but since he says he invented the internet he may have made websites retroactive!!!!....<><.... :)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Sweets 7.62?
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2006, 01:46:59 PM »
Sweet's is made by Sweet's Wholesale of NSW, Australia, there's no phone number or URL on their current product and I did a search with no luck. Even if you called em, it would probably cost more than a new bottle!!! :eek:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
Sweets 7.62?
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2006, 02:25:22 PM »
For what Sweets does it is more trouble to get rid of it after using it. Because if you don't it is bad news for the barrel.

Besides it attacks the barrel steel. There are better products to clean a bore. Button rifled bores should need no Sweets to start with. Ammonia is corrosive and etches the bore.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.