Author Topic: What was the rope used for coiled on the trail ??  (Read 1160 times)

Offline opatriot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
What was the rope used for coiled on the trail ??
« on: January 15, 2006, 04:26:38 PM »
Just wondering what the purpose of the rope was coiled on the cairrage trailes..??...[url]http://photos.yahoo.com/difabiojr@sbcglobal.net.            "  first try at posting url.... "
............................. DAVEY  (OPATRIOT)  ....................................................................       WHAT IS POPULAR IS NOT ALWAYS RIGHT, WHAT IS RIGHT IS NOT ALWAYS POPULAR ...

Offline Artilleryman

What was the rope used for coiled on the tr
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 06:04:42 PM »
The prolonge (rope) was used with field-pieces to attach the gun to the limber when firing in retreat, or advancing, instead of limbering up; for the same purpose in crossing ditches; for slinging a piece to a limber; for righting carriages when upset, for various other purposes.  

Taken from Gibbon's
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline opatriot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 08:36:39 AM »
That would explain the togle on one end and the ring on the other ......so it was used for quick movement short distances ..?? ...where the implaments straped to the carriage when transported or where they secured to the limber / caeson.....?? ....thanx for the info ....davey
............................. DAVEY  (OPATRIOT)  ....................................................................       WHAT IS POPULAR IS NOT ALWAYS RIGHT, WHAT IS RIGHT IS NOT ALWAYS POPULAR ...

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 10:48:50 AM »
There are implement hooks that hang down from the bottom front of the cheeks, and implement straps that are fastened under the trail just behind the cheeks.  The ends of these straps go around the implements and fasten to the sides of the cheeks.   The handspikes are kept in place by D-rings and hooks on the outside of each cheek.  All other small implements such as the various vent tools are kept in a tray in the ammo box on the limber.  Other tools were carried in a battery wagon.

Offline opatriot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 03:05:03 PM »
Gday norm .......thanks for the info ...im building my first carriage and cannon assembly and finding alot of curiosity in me on the design shapes and hardware functions etc........just like you im working out a way to post some pics......glad i took the advice from others and went with paint finish ..........thanx for sharing your experience and welcome to forum from a nubee............oh i also loved  the movie master and command , also like the patriot with mel gipson............davey

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 09:20:03 AM »
The sound crew for Master and Commander went to extremes to make sure that they got all of the sounds as authentically as they could.  They got an Oscar for their efforts in sound editing.  There is one very small mistake that I heard in the sound of the artillery.  During one of the boardsides you will hear a ringing sound from one of the guns.  Bronze guns make a ring sound on firing because the projectile bounces in the bore casing it to ring.  Iron guns do not make this sound and all of the guns aboard the ship are iron.  The reason for the ring showing up in the sound track is that when we fired a bronze howitzer they recorded that ring.  We heard it on play back and we eliminated that sound by wrapping the barrel with carpet.  They must have inadvertably put into to the final sound track.  We also had to duct tape all of the iron parts on the carriage that made sounds during firing such as the lock chain since naval trucks don't make those noises.

Offline opatriot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 05:12:23 PM »
WOW.....I never get tired of watching that dvd..something i think about the guns and adventure .....i had a chance to walk about the ship used in  the movie it was docked in san diego , ca. ....got some pics..with my boys round about the ship ...saw the naval carriages down below deck .....how did they re-enact the cannon fire scenes to look so lifelike ..???.....I think i can remember hearing that ring you mentioned from the movie...another sound that made an impression on me was the sound of the cannon balls speeding through the air ..!!............decided to put the implement hooks in the front of my carriage ..i think ill try and fabricate all the original hardware ..might as well ..enjoy the journey...........thanx NORM  for the info i am very interested ...!!!........DAVEY

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 09:57:54 AM »
I don't remember how they caused the cannons to recoil.  For the projectile sounds we actually had to reduce some of our charges to reduce the velocity so that they would have a longer time to record the sounds of incoming and out going rounds.  We fired bar shot, chain shot, grape shot, and solid shot.  They had microphones at various places on the range.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 10:04:32 AM »
Davey I forgot to add.  You won't go wrong by putting in all the hardware.  My goal has always be as authentic as possible.  Most people won't know one way or the other, but the people that do know will have a lower opinion of your work.  Besides it is a good way to educate others about artillery.

Offline Cannonmaker

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.neffcannons.com/
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 05:38:58 PM »
When I went to San Diego in Dec. of 04 my son said the the HMS Surprise (I think it was) from the movie was in dock.  We went and toured the ship, lots of pictures then that night we seen the movie.  that was real cool.
The cannons I build have most all the detail in them,  I try to be historicaly correct,  I show the field pieces finished with tung oil as a display model. I can paint them the olive green upon request.
Rick Neff
Neff Cannons & Machine LLC
480 N 1st Street East
PO Box 55
Malta, Idaho 83342              Keeping history alive with the roar of the guns

http://www.neffcannons.com/

Offline opatriot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 09:49:04 AM »
Gday friends .....OK. i have most of my carriage hardware crafted ....now im working on implaments and handspike , D ring and hook .....Ive been looking at alot of pics and some carriages have two handspikes , one on both sides of cheeks .....other pics have just one handspike ......wich is correct ?? ....also wondering if just one ...wich side of cannon does it belong ??.......left or right ....if im faceing the battlefield ??......also going to post ULR. if someone can let me know if you can get to my cannon picture album from the ULR. address ...please let me know ..............thanx .....davey                                                                    http://photos.yahoo.com/difabiojr@sbcglobal.net

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 12:59:00 PM »
Lookin really good Davey!!! Where did you get that barrel? What is the caliber? What do you have planned for the wheels? Are you going to build them also?

Later, Wes
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006, 02:30:30 PM »
Davey,   The D-rings go on both sides.  You would want to have two handspikes incase one broke.  I have broken one and have seen others do the same.

Offline opatriot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2006, 06:50:17 PM »
GDAY Friends .......thanx norm for shareing your experiance.....im in the learning curve .....fun project , makes me feel somehow connected to american historty.......glad i chose 1/3 scale to start with ....think ill be ready for 1/2 to full scale project this spring ...dont know what though  ...ive been lusting over that king cannon you been working up Wes ......if you decide to turn a few out this spring let me know ....would make a good larger caliber gun ..........glad to hear you where able to access my ulr. link o.k. ........barrel is from gunsmoke  ...1.75" golf ball size  4140 ordinance steel ...howitzer type..........i figure it will be a good first shooter ......still lookin at wheels , will probably purchase from forum ref. .........just a great hobie.......thankyouall kindly ...davey

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2006, 08:25:43 AM »
Opatriot wrote
Just wondering what the purpose of the rope was coiled on the cairrage trailes..??..

One other purpose of the Prolonge rope was if the cannon was placed on the crest of a hill, they would tie it off with the prolonge to prevent it from rolling down the hill when fired.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2006, 10:56:45 AM »
Another use was to help in changing wheels.  You pass the rope over the piece and fasten it to the axle, pulling on the rope would lift the wheel off the ground so that two men could pull the wheel and put on a new one.