Author Topic: h110 and hard cast bullets  (Read 1297 times)

Offline FJF6122

• Trade Count: (0)
h110 and hard cast bullets
« on: March 14, 2003, 10:09:25 AM »
I was just told by Phill Hodgdon of Hodgdon powders that they do not recommend H110 for plain base cast bullets no matter how hard they are. He recommeded Universal instead. But I do not think I can get the velocity from Universal as I can with H110. Can someone explain why? Any suggestions on loads for 275gr hard cast bullet?

Thanks
Trey

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2003, 10:11:49 AM »
thats funny I guess id better tell all my guns to quit shooting it so well they obviously arent suppose to :-D
blue lives matter

Offline hubbard

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2003, 10:18:38 AM »
this only applies to my guns but universal doesn't provide the accuracy of h110. don't know about the velocities.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2003, 03:13:59 AM »
I think I'd try to get an explanation from him. My 44 mag lives on H110 and cast bullets at full throttle. No problems yet after running through more than 10 lb. of it!  Maybe he's talking about using it for reduced loads, don't want to do that.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline Shooter56

Hodgdon Advice
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2003, 09:14:11 PM »
Last July, I e-mailed Hodgdon complaining of a lack of "decent" recipes for cast bullets. Mike Daly answered me, and although he does not mention any specific powders, his advice was:

1. If bullet is gas checked, you can use jacketed data.

2. If it is unjacketed and velocity is below 1400 fps use jacketed data.

3. If no gas check and over 1400 fps, expect heavy leading, even from a hard bullet.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2003, 12:08:07 AM »
universal hasnt given me the accuracy That the old aliant powders have in most of my guns either. The universal may burn a little cleaner but id rather clean a gun if it shoots better groups.
Quote from: hubbard
this only applies to my guns but universal doesn't provide the accuracy of h110. don't know about the velocities.
blue lives matter

Offline Lvl1trauma

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2003, 04:38:06 PM »
I don't recall trying Universal in .44 with cast bullets but I read a long time ago (Skeeter Skelton article?) that he got better luck using 2400 with cast bullets and 296 with jacketed bullets. For the most part I have found that to be true and have tried to follow that guidline.

Beau

PS- Lloyd- I should be getting a California Star Sizer in monday. Goodby Lyman!!! Figured you could appreciate that given your history with Lyman.

Offline Majic

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2003, 06:52:20 PM »
I guess my guns are ignant cause they all just love H110 with plain based hard cast bullets. Mighty funny it's not mentioned in the reloading data printed by them, unless I missed that.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2003, 07:13:21 PM »
Skeeter Skelton !!!!

You mean there's another geezer here!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2003, 11:14:06 PM »
the only thing orange left on the bench is some bullet molds and the old orange crusher that was my first press. One of the good things lyman did! Youll love that star I have two of them set up now and would rather have an arm amputated then go back to a lyman.
Quote from: Lvl1trauma
I don't recall trying Universal in .44 with cast bullets but I read a long time ago (Skeeter Skelton article?) that he got better luck using 2400 with cast bullets and 296 with jacketed bullets. For the most part I have found that to be true and have tried to follow that guidline.

Beau

PS- Lloyd- I should be getting a California Star Sizer in monday. Goodby Lyman!!! Figured you could appreciate that given your history with Lyman.
blue lives matter

Offline Lvl1trauma

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2003, 08:13:38 AM »
Double D- I wouldn't exactly call myself a geezeer but some days I damn sure feel like it. What ever happened to Skeeter? He still alive? Must not be. I ain't seen anything new by him in years. I used to really like reading his stuff. They don't make 'em like Elmer, Skeeter, Bill Jordan anymore.

Lloyd- The only thing Lyman I have is an old 450 someone gave me and 2 of their molds. I really like their .44 hollow point mold. It is hard to get up to temp but is throws a really nice boolet.

Beau

Offline JohnK

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2003, 09:29:38 AM »
Add my guns to the list of ones that are "broken" and shoot cast bullets and H110 fine without leading.

You can always switch from H110 to Lil'Gun - I think it's better than H110 anyway.   :grin:

Offline Hcliff

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2003, 12:30:13 PM »
Use H110.  THey have listed that in manuals for years.  I think this a new way to get us to use their new powder.  THe same thing has happened with me and loading data for my 480.  THey wanted me to use that or Titegroup (which has wroked well),  They didn't have any data for HS-6 or 7.

If you check out other manual you will data.  

My guns must have been broken too.  I love H110.  IKt is the most popular powder I have.

Use it and have fun.

Hcliff