Author Topic: On top of Look Out Mt.  (Read 1204 times)

Offline hellacatcher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
On top of Look Out Mt.
« on: January 17, 2006, 12:36:15 AM »
Was in Mentone GA Sunday at JPH’s (John) house with De41Mag (Dennis) and 308 (Lamar).  We got the trip up at the last minute.  How nice to have a gun range in one’s back yard.  We did bring some of our favorite guns.  Dennis had his AR15 in 223, John trotted out his Encore in 375 JDJ.  Lamar had his rechambered Handie in 30-30 AI, and I had my Remington 700 in 22-250.  John’s 375 JDJ, and Lamar’s 30-30 AI really shined.  I am highly considering turning my 30-30 into a 30-30 AI after shooting Lamar’s as it was impressive to say the least,-the bullets going down range with authority.  When we do this again, we are going to try and do some long range planning and let others know.
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline jeff223

On top of Look Out Mt.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 01:28:46 AM »
boy that sounds like fun,i wish i lived alittle closer to John and you guys.i still have a handi rifle barrel in 30-30 and its a great shooter and i might be interested in a rechamber on that barrel too.

Offline .308

• Contributor
On top of Look Out Mt.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 02:30:41 AM »
Paul, I think you're still lost. It's Mentone, AL.  :roll:

I'll tell you, I got a lot of work to do to catch up with you guys. Y'all got some shooters.  :grin:

Jeff have you ever thought of moving south? You'd fit right in with this crew.  8)  8)

Offline MtJerry

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
On top of Look Out Mt.
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 02:32:03 AM »
You guys make me wish I still lived in Athens ...

I would love to have been there.
:D

Offline .308

• Contributor
On top of Look Out Mt.
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 02:48:40 AM »
You lived in Athens, GA once?? Holy Cow!!! Oh yeah Jerry you would have fit right in with this crew too. Dang I had a good time. 8)  8)

Offline jeff223

On top of Look Out Mt.
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 03:05:18 AM »
i may move someday but my family is here so i got to stay for now

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
On top of Look Out Mt.
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 03:43:18 AM »
Jerry

have you shot the max yet. I hope to get it warmed up this weekend.  Loaded up my first 10 to get me close to maximum load levels.

Offline MtJerry

• A Real Regular
On top of Look Out Mt.
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 03:49:36 AM »
Quote from: .308
You lived in Athens, GA once?? Holy Cow!!! Oh yeah Jerry you would have fit right in with this crew too. Dang I had a good time. 8)  8)

Athens, Alabama ... just west of Huntsville.  My dad worked (and retired) from Boeing there.  His last postion was at Redstone Arsenal.

I graduated from college at Samford University in Birmingham.

I also lived in Alexander City, Demopolis, and Dadeville, Alabama.  That's where I was at when I moved to Wyoming in 1991.

Offline MtJerry

• A Real Regular
On top of Look Out Mt.
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 03:56:30 AM »
Quote from: bajabill
Jerry

have you shot the max yet. I hope to get it warmed up this weekend.  Loaded up my first 10 to get me close to maximum load levels.

Unfortunately no.  I have been trying to recover from buying anew house in October, and of course Christmas.  My oldest sons birthday is next week, then my youngest son's birthday is in Feb and then my wife's is in March .. gonna be a while  :(

I did make a deal with a fella here on GBO for 160 pieces of brass for $20.00.  SHould be in the main any day now.

Offline .308

• Contributor
On top of Look Out Mt.
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 06:11:00 AM »
Then Athen, AL is real close to where we were shooting Sunday. We were right on top of Lookout Mountain, just west of Huntsville I'd say. Near Cloudland Canyon park. Later...

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
On top of Look Out Mt.
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 10:01:47 AM »
I'd be real interested in making the trip wiht you all next time. I live just east of knoxville. I think my cousin (cknight98) might be willing to make the trip also. let me know next time.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Offline .308

• Contributor
On top of Look Out Mt.
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 10:41:25 AM »
Varminter, you have an email. 8)

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
On top of Look Out Mt.
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 11:08:43 AM »
Larmar--remeber John gave Dennis the directions and he wrote em down that is why I was lost. No realy I did have a good time and would suggest others who can get together do so. You learn so much more when meeting each other face to face and that in it's  solves alot of problems. Things can be talked out and new ideas formed along with new frends. Try it you may like it.
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline JPH45

On top of Look Out Mt.
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 01:05:59 PM »
I was most favorably impressed with the 30-30 AI. While I am swearing off Handi's (Have had one too many mechanical problems for my tastes, why I've not posted as frequently lately) I do intend to have either a 30-30 barrel for my Encore or to have a G2 Contender so equipped and the first order of business will be to rent a reamer and get dies.

For the record, I have in past been reluctant to believe that the 30-30 AI is everything that has been made of it. Sunday completely changed my mind. It is in every way superior to the parent case. I hope more try it out.  It is as good a rechamber as the 357 Max is, a solid gain in both velocity and accuracy.

I'm looking forward to the next meeting of the 3 NEF Amigos (4 now now and sounds like another to join us.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline jeff223

On top of Look Out Mt.
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2006, 01:34:21 PM »
thats what i have heard about the 30-30AI too John.its a winner and i may just end up with a 14 inch tender barrel and  handi rifle barrel rechambered in 30-30AI.that would be nice to have both with the same chamber.i already have a very accuracte handi rifle 30-30 barrel and there are lots of 14inch 30 herret barrels out there for the tender to rechamber.

Offline .308

• Contributor
On top of Look Out Mt.
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2006, 04:40:01 PM »
So John, looks you're getting to be a very popular guy. I wonder if having a range just outside your back door could be a part of it? :) My friend I can't wait for our next visit. I truly had as good a time as I've had in years when it comes to shooting. BTW, you flung some kinda craving on me with those cast bullets in the JDJ. Maybe by our next 'git together' I'll have some decent bullets cast for my AI.  

I haven't met Varminter or cknight98 eyeball to eyeball, but I'm really looking forward to it.  8)  8)

Offline JPH45

On top of Look Out Mt.
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2006, 04:47:00 PM »
I think if there'd been a 30-30 AI reamer on hand, hellacatcher would have done his right there !! :eek: A great chambering. Thanks for forging ahead 308

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
On top of Look Out Mt.
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2006, 05:03:19 PM »
JP.
It is to no surprise to me that to like the 30-30 AI.
The 30 Aardvark did not become a champion HBR cartridge by not being good. The Aardvark is slightly different to meet volume requirements.

This is one of the best conversions for the Handi if you got a good barrel. This cartridge can be loaded to be about as close you can get to a 308. The Aardvark will do 3000 plus with 125gr bullets in a bolt action. So take it from there. It has a near perfect expansion ratio.

Every body want to load the Ai to 45K, now what is the good of that in a modern strong action. The detractors are right when they say you may as well stay with the standard.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline De41mag

• A Real Regular
    • De41mag@aol.com
On top of Look Out Mt.
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2006, 05:08:40 PM »
And talk about being back in the boonies.
Now John is back there. He said his road to his drive way is a goat trail and that's no lie.
But in all seriousness, I had a great time. This happened all of a sudden because of a bulk powder buy. If we had a went to Owensbourgh KY, and came back with all that powder, and would have been stopped, the state troopers, they would have thought we were terrorist.
And that 30-30 AI was amazing.
John.... You have even got me thinking of getting one. Very very impessive.
(308) Lamar, it was a pleasure meeting you. We had a lot of fun.
And anybody else that wants to join in, you all know you a welcome to join us.
After all we are family here.

Dennis  :D

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
On top of Look Out Mt.
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2006, 05:18:54 PM »
why can't you guy live just a little farther north??? wish i was there, group powder buy you say, man it sucks to live in ohio
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline .308

• Contributor
On top of Look Out Mt.
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2006, 05:40:16 PM »
Quote from: mitchell
man it stinks to live in ohio
You know how to fix that. Move south. 8) Of course for the next few years Uncle Sam is gonna decide where you live. That's not a bad thing.  8)

Offline mitchell

On top of Look Out Mt.
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2006, 05:44:59 PM »
well so long as i can get to xenia ohio once a month i don't think they care :)  :)  . even if it is a long drive i'll make it to one of those shoots you guys have. Maybe come summer.

Offline .308

• Contributor
On top of Look Out Mt.
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2006, 05:23:18 AM »
Quote from: De41mag
And talk about being back in the boonies.
Now John is back there. He said his road to his drive way is a goat trail and that's no lie.
But in all seriousness, I had a great time. This happened all of a sudden because of a bulk powder buy. If we had a went to Owensbourgh KY, and came back with all that powder, and would have been stopped, the state troopers, they would have thought we were terrorist.
And that 30-30 AI was amazing.
John.... You have even got me thinking of getting one. Very very impessive.
(308) Lamar, it was a pleasure meeting you. We had a lot of fun.
And anybody else that wants to join in, you all know you a welcome to join us.
After all we are family here.

Yep he's far back alright, and hopefully by this summer I be back in the boonies too. Beautiful place btw John.  

A bulk powder buy seems to have been the start of something much bigger and better. For me it was a chance to meet three men I've wanted to meet for quite some time, and from the looks of it I'll be getting to meet even more. What a deal. Shooting and good fellowship. As Paul said, 'try it you'll like it.'

Dennis, I appreciate all the kind words. BUT I was amazed also at the shooters you guys own. Hey and I even got to touch and shoot Paul's baby. How about that. His two Rem's are shooters, one holers. Here's something else that blew me away, your AR. I'd heard you could get one that would shoot nowadays, but shoot like that. Holy cow, a semi-auto in .223 that shoots better than a lot of bolts, nice. I gotta tell you even though I didn't get to shoot John's JDJ I was plenty impressed with it. It just kept shooting better and better. I love them big boolits. After seeing the way it shoots with cast boolits I have to give my AI a try with them.

I can't wait to do this again. 8)

Offline De41mag

• A Real Regular
    • De41mag@aol.com
On top of Look Out Mt.
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2006, 06:23:11 PM »
Mitchell;

You just have to come across Kentucky and Tennessee then into Alabama 1 mile, I just live across the state line. And just off I-65 1 mile. Heck, as young as you are you could do it in one weekend. You can stay here at my house. And just think that trip would be less than half of a trip to Oklahoma. I'd be gald to have you by. We mostly shoot just south of Athens Al. which is just 12 miles from here.
MtJerry... That's right I'm that close to your home town. I even worked on Redstone Arsenal for 13 years for Thiokol.
So, Mitchell when you get time "Come on Down"  :grin:

Offline mitchell

On top of Look Out Mt.
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2006, 05:22:56 AM »
well the way i drive it takes 9 hours to get to nashville so maybe about 12 hours to get there, thats about 3-4 tanks of gas(i hope). thanks for the offer dennis i'll take you up on it this summer.

Offline MtJerry

• A Real Regular
On top of Look Out Mt.
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2006, 06:59:42 AM »
Quote from: De41mag
. We mostly shoot just south of Athens Al. which is just 12 miles from here.
MtJerry... That's right I'm that close to your home town. I even worked on Redstone Arsenal for 13 years for Thiokol.

Swan Lake Wildlife Management Area I assume?  I lived just a few miles north of there ... something Ferry Road.

I have a first-cousin that still lives in Huntsville.

I have some funny stories about living in Ardmore as a young child (about 5-6yrs old) ... like the day I came eye-ball to eye-ball with the first pig I ever laid eyes on.  He was about 6 inches from my face when I stuck my head in our doghouse looking for our dog.  He squeeled and then I squeeled ... and then all H#ll broke loose.   :)

Thiokol??  Hmmmm ... I think I knew a former exec from there ... He drowned down in Mexico while vacationing with his family???

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
On top of Look Out Mt.
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2006, 10:37:40 AM »
Mitch. you make it ti Nashville I'll get you the rest of the way.  If you think about it it almst a stright shot down I65 for you. I can see this happening for a get together shoot out or bull section. Jusr have to keep working on it and talking about it.
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline JPH45

On top of Look Out Mt.
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2006, 11:54:28 AM »
Do I smell the makeings of a plan????

As was said on a well known TV game show..... MtJerry, Mitchell, Varminter COME ON DOWN :D

Offline .308

• Contributor
On top of Look Out Mt.
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2006, 11:59:17 AM »
Quote from: JPH45
Do I smell the makeings of a plan????

As was said on a well known TV game show..... MtJerry, Mitchell, Varminter COME ON DOWN :D
That's what it smells like to me. 8)

Offline MtJerry

• A Real Regular
On top of Look Out Mt.
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2006, 12:48:05 PM »
The next time I drive down to visit my folks in Pensacola I will definetly make a few stops on the way :wink: