Author Topic: Shot new .204 handi, wow!  (Read 545 times)

Offline blakeyboy

• Trade Count: (0)
Shot new .204 handi, wow!
« on: January 17, 2006, 04:54:43 AM »
First impressions.

Data:

Brand new handi .204, given a good cleaning and floated the barrel with o-ring which didn't float it enough so i sand papered from the screw forward.

Still waiting for 6-24 scope to show up but had a weaver k2.5 fixed 2.5x scope laying around so i put it on to shoot it.

Managed to shoot just about a couple boxes of factory 32 grain ammo in between sets while calling coyotes on sunday.

Zeroed about 1-1.5" high at 100 yrds in just under 1 box of shells. Last group looked promising considering it was a quicky field zero off bi-pod and 2.5x scope and stock trigger.

After another set of calling a steep valley i ranged the other side at 329 yrds. We just had 2" fresh snow overnight so it was a great opportunity to shoot and see where it hit at that range as impacts very visible in the snow and the gun hits light enough i was watching the hits in the scope.

To my amazement i was hitting all the little dark spots in the snow i was aiming at shot for shot....329 yrds! I've never had such a cool shooting experience at distance...but i've not shot much distance before. I usually shoot things well inside a couple hundred yrds.

I could see impacts in scope. The gun has lots of muzzle blast but isn't too loud. Pleasant to shoot.

I will post further data on it as soon as i get the other scope on it and do some better range time and try for some groups, i will also chronograph it.

Needless to say i'm quite happy so far. Without a quick follow up shot however i will be getting another .204 and this one will be a back up/loaner to buddy gun for the coyote hunting. I'll be looking for a bolt action(or i should say 'i'll be waiting for Tikka to offer it') as soon as i can save some cash...what an awesome little round...and talk about 'bang for the buck' with these handi's! Outstanding. :grin:

I did manage to get a shot at a coyote at end of day. It was a spot we've educated plenty of coyotes and we had one hang up. There were 3 ridges, i ranged the second ridge at 354 yrds and thats about as far as my rangefinder goes, the coyote was sitting on the 3rd ridge. I'm guessing this coyote was sitting about 600 yrds? I tried everything to get him to come closer but finally ended up taking a poke at him when all attempts failed. I held 2' over him and he jumped straight up and a couple hops to the left and stood there looking right back at the spot he was just sitting at. He thought about it for a couple seconds and then buggered off. I bet i put it right between his two front feet? Definitely the longest shot i've attempted. I will need a better range finder and a bit of practice at long range to be proficient out there but anyhow...i think this round is going to be an excellent 350 yrd coyote calling laser beam.

Blake

Offline dawgmaster

• http://www.archersoutfitting.com
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 09:57:02 AM »
blakeboy,
I use my 204 handi up here in Canada all time for coyote calling as well.
I agree the 204 is an awesome cartridge. I've owned pretty well all the common varmint calibres and the 204 is the one to have.
Any coyotes I get from 350 yards and in I just hold right on em and they go down.
Let me know your chronographs (don't have one) Curious to know your loads also if you end up hand loading.

Offline coldmold

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 12:13:56 PM »
Blakyboy you wont be able to see your hits through that 6 x 24 unless you keep it cranked down to about 12 power. I have a handi 204 with a 6 t0 24 on it so I know

Offline blakeyboy

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 03:35:16 AM »
Northman, thanks for confirming my suspicions. Thats awesome news. I will definitely confirm some velocities. I will be shooting factory 32 grain v-max only. Had a buddy who reloads and benchrest/long distance shoots try out .204 he loved it to 300 yrds but could only get within 100 fps of factory by reloading...hornady must have a 'blend' of powders he figures?

I'll also be able to report on a brand new CZ 527 American i picked up last night. I couldn't help myself. :oops: Just to take any possibilities out of it i'm dropping it off afterwork today to have it bedded. The 6-24 mildot is going on the CZ and i'll get both guns out soon to shoot some groups and chronograph. With the light CZ and the 6-24 scope i dunno if i'll see the impacts now but oh well. I emailed Beretta to ask if Tikka is gonna offer the .204 ruger and the response i got was 'they don't know of anything for 2006 and suspect it will be the same as 2005' so i decided i couldn't wait for another .204. Detach mag is only way to fly for me, lots of stands in a day and after having a tikka and not having to jack rounds or drop hinge plates etc. i won't have anything else again. So it looks like i might just leave the weaver on the handi and i already have a 'back-up/buddy loaner' gun for calling.

Anyhow, will catch up with you guys in a bit.

Blake