Author Topic: What am I to do?  (Read 753 times)

Offline TOMMYY01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
What am I to do?
« on: January 17, 2006, 11:11:40 AM »
I went tree rat hunting yesterday morning. Only saw one.  :x  I don't know, but I think that the squirrels have left me. Years ago, I used to hunt them all the time, now I don't hunt them much at all. The 410 I bought last year at this time still has yet to fire. No, I just haven't shot it yet.I want to shoot more than one squirrel. I guess I;m not the tree rat hunter I used to be! :x  :shock:
                                                                       tommy
I like my trophies on my wall and in my belly

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
What am I to do?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 12:48:02 PM »
Don't fret, TOMMYY01.  You'll get it back.  Your probably a little impatient.  Remember, they can see movement from a long way and there are no leaves on the trees these days to shield you.  

In the early season while the leaves are still on the trees, I'll walk and often change location.  But when the leaves are gone I'll get to a spot and stay there for some time, depending on the activity.  When I do move, its slow and deliberate.

I stopped hunting for about fifteen years.  When I picked it back up four years ago, I started out hunting squirrels.  It took a few times for me to calm down and relax.  Now I'm amazed at just how close they get and in some locations I hunt I've knocked down two and three within fifteen minutes of each other.  Used to be that once you took a shot, it took a while for the woods to get quiet again.

I've had them come up on me so close that I couldn't shoot.  Its a hoot!

Good Luck.

EVOC ONE

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
What am I to do?
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 03:49:02 PM »
You should get up in a tree stand and pretend you are deer hunting. They will swarm around you like flies and make tons of noise. I am far to impatient to sit and wait for them. I always walk until I see one then chase it until I get a shot. In the early season I almost always hear then rustlin the leaves before I see them.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
What am I to do?
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 04:01:53 PM »
problem solved come over to my place i can get you 6 (bag limit) squirrels in about 45 minutes.

it makes deer hunting a pain in the butt.
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
What am I to do?
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 01:51:17 AM »
Rerminds me of the old joke...

Q: How do you catch a squirrel?

A:  Climb a tree and act like a nut.  

:roll:   Sorry, couldn't resist.  :lol:

Check this forum out for lots of good info on Squirrel and rabbit hunting...

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=15&sid=d4add5940bfb4069493e610af7090346

There, hope I redeemed myself after that sorry old joke.  :wink:
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
  • .38 Special and .357 S&W Magnum Stuff
What am I to do?
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 02:17:28 PM »
Tommy,

I harvested one last evening! I have the upmost respect for the hunter that shoot these tree rats late in the season. I have never hunter them this late! I'm learning you have too go slow and be camoflaged. No blue jeans. I sat for two hours before I heard one bark and I stalked him. The place I scouted has den trees and leaf nest. The ground also have little holes with the mounts of dirt. Tomorrow evening I will try again. I am taking my head net too!

Good Luck!
"Think Positive and Positive Things Will Happen"

"There's Only One Bore Size and That is .357....That's MHO"

Froghunter

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
What am I to do?
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 04:19:53 AM »
Lots of folks don't hunt squirrels.  I think its great. It is a challenge at times.  I have been told several times over the years that color is not really the issue with squirrel.  More over, its movement.  I'm told they can see movement for a great distance.  

Because I hunt on public lands and the Md. bow season is pretty long, I wear lots of hunter orange in the woods.  This late in the season, I go to my spot and sit tight. If I do move its very slow and quiet.  

I can't say if the orange has any effect, positive or negative, but I'll pay more attention to how much luck I have late in the season versus early season.

Good luck and have a great time!

EVOC ONE

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
What am I to do?
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 10:56:34 AM »
Another thing to remember is that squirrel activity is down when the weather is cold...They just don't move as much.  I see a lot during bow season here in NY when they are busy gathering nuts and eating a ton of nuts.  During the late muzzleloader season I see relatively few...I am sitting as still as I was during archery but their movement is down.  Have patience or just wait for a warmer day to see more movement.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Mrs Rhonda

What am I to do?
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 03:33:00 PM »
:) Tommy;

Don't know what to tell you ! Froghunter and I went out tonight and just walked into the edge and all crap broke loose. There were squirrels everywhere. i'm just a beginner at this and I saw so many and was trying to figure out what one to shoot, and oh my " The Froghunter saying there
he is get him"and Yes I lossed it! I guess I'm Better when they stand still and I sleep under the tree.LOL :-D  But Had a great Time. A 20 ga. works very well, I guess if you can hit'em!  :D
Mrs.Rhonda

Learn Not To Judge A Book By It's Cover Or To Form Veiw From Other's Whom Have Read This book! V/R

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
What am I to do?
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 01:44:34 AM »
Mrs. Rhonda:

I had to laugh when I read you post about squirrels running everywhere.  I've had that happen to me as well.  You don't expect it and then suddenly they're running everywhere.  Heck, I'm lucky to get off a shot.  Afterward, while I'm standing there shaking with the sudden excitement, I have to laugh.  For me it usually happens at a location I would not expect to see any or have never seen any prior.

Ah, but its all part of the enjoyment of being out there.

Good luck to you and Froghunter and Enjoy!

EVOC ONE

Offline marylandeer

• Contributor
What am I to do?
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2006, 07:31:11 AM »
:D I to think the tree rats are getting tuffer to find (or shoot). I used to hunt them all the time when I was a kid. It was nothing for my brother and I to kill about a dozen in an day. Now my youngest son is showing a strong interest in hunting he's 8. I told him I would start taking him squirrel hunting. We went out after deer season last year a few times and didn't get any. This year we have been out the last 4 Saturdays. We shot our first one this past Saturday.
It never fails, if we take a shotgun we see them out at 60 70 yards. When we take the .22 mag there in close but won't stop running for a shot.
This past Saturday one finnaly made a mistake, at first light he ran to the top of a big oak and stopped for breakfest. I popped him at about 65 yards with the .22 mag.
*note*  You may want to use solids from a .22 mag and NOT hollows it wasn't pretty :shock: .

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
What am I to do?
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 08:54:25 AM »
marylandeer.  

Not sure where your located, but my buddy and I have had good luck in the Frederick Watershed and in most areas in the Patuxent River Forest area along the Howard and Montgomery Co. border.  Some days are dry, but most are rewarding.

Good Luck!

EVOC ONE

Offline marylandeer

• Contributor
What am I to do?
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2006, 03:10:23 AM »
Hello  EVOC ONE, I used to hunt deer and squirrels at Patuxent river, I did well to. I have been taking my boy to a place called Indian Springs in Washington county. I have also deer hunted Frerick watershed. I killed a 4 pointer there a few years back. There is too many hunters in the watershed during deer season for me. I may have to try theese two for tree rats. Thanks