Author Topic: Winchester Rifle Plant Prepares to Close in Conn.  (Read 3427 times)

Offline jsteih

• Trade Count: (0)
Winchester Rifle Plant Prepares to Close in
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2006, 07:16:58 PM »
I know this is going to open a whole new can of worms.  The legal ramifications of the conn. plant closing are huge.  If there are no plants on U.S. soil, then there can be no frivolous lawsuits against the company.  The "importers" of the "new" firearms will not care if there are lawsuits, because they will not apply to the "importers".   I am a Journyman Machinist at a small job shop, these companys going overseas are going to put me out of a job.  There is no way to politely way to say stop bitching and take action, so I will just spell it out!  If we (and I mean ALL of US) don't take action, we will lose more than just our precious companys.  WE WILL LOSE OUR COUNTRY.  

-JSteih

A country needs a good REVOLUTION every twenty years

-Thomas Jefferson

How long has it been?

Offline Keith L

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2006, 01:14:43 AM »
take action

What "action" do you suggest?
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline jsteih

My Rant (Sorry!)
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2006, 08:09:15 AM »
Sometimes, I get a little worked up about things.  I think that marching into Washington and kicking the current pirates out of the capitol would be a start.  (I call them pirates because they rape and pillage everything that they can in our great country.)  Then we could be governed by the constitution and what it stands for.  I guess that I can be a "fanatic" sometimes when I read or see things that upset me.  I know that a march on Washington will not ever hapen, nor do I wish to see it come to that!  So I will be content ranting about our foolish laws and how we are beeing manipulated.  I am sorry for this public outburst, and will now go sit in the corner with the rest of the sheeple.

Offline Keith L

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2006, 11:36:43 AM »
I think the action needed is to encourage people to buy American.  We have all gotten sloppy accepting the WalMart idea of cheap goods.  They tell us they are helping by stretching our buying power.  But what happens when the jobs are gone.  I guess we can still buy food at Walmart with our food stamps.

Offline jsteih

no argument.
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2006, 06:47:00 PM »
I don't want to argue, it sounds as if we are all on the same page here.  The first question is how do we get everyone else to listen?  I think the real issue is that an "icon" of American companys is stopping all of its production in the U.S. of A.  The second question is, how do you buy American when there are no more American companys?

Offline Keith L

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2006, 08:58:33 PM »
My concern is that we will forget how to manufacture.  Jack Welsch when CEO of GE said the ideal situation would be to have the factories on barges and tow them offshore of countries where labor would be cheapest, then move them when cheaper labor appeared elswhere.  Unfortunately many American manufacturers followed this flawed logic and started the trend for offshore production.  In many cases I have convinced manufacturers to asses the true cost of offshore production including cost of shipping, losses in the supply line, inflexibility, cost of money tied up in large inventory, frequent travel to the low cost country etc. and have proven the false economy of buying offshore.  In ost cases the most expensive American bidder for the work is cheaper than the asian alternative.  But the piece price is often the only thing folks look at.

I wonder at the fact that many of the transplant auto companies such as Toyota source all their content within a small radius of their factories getting 100% American content, but our major automakers are sourcing more and more offshore.  I think that is one of the reasons they are floundering.  They are following the trend and making their own situation worse.

I see the trend starting to turn, but what is going to be the human cost.  The good news about Winchester is that it is relatively few workers affected at the end.  But in the same week we hear of 30,000 Ford workers idled.  The lowest estimate I have heard is an additional 90,000 workers in supplier companies.  That has to hurt the US economy.  And the more of these folks that eventually source the new jobs being created by our governmental policies at much lower wages in the service sector the closer America gets to forgetting how to make things.

Years ago an Econmics professor told me that the only way we create wealth is to mine, manufacture, or grow something.  Where does this service economy get us?

Pretty good rant for 2:00 AM, eh?

Offline msorenso

• A Real Regular
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2006, 04:16:54 AM »
Good Question,
Rem, Henry, some berettas, nef(some not) , marlin, smith, mossberg to name some that come to mind. :D
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline IowaBuckHunter

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2006, 03:59:39 PM »
hey coyote trapper-
no the distributers cannot place special orders.  They can only but what winchester has in stock right now.  and winchester has a big stockpile of guns laying around.  many gun dealers are stripping their guns off of the shelves and telling people that they don't have them becuase they are waiting for the prices to go up, which they are.  who knows what will happen to the company, but guns will be available, just for more money
Accuracy doesn't come from the arrow, it comes from the Indian!

Offline msorenso

• A Real Regular
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2006, 02:35:17 AM »
On some of the aution sites I have noticed that the only ones that have really went up in price is the 94 and safari rifles... Just MO.
Iowa buck hunter, not sure what side of the state you live on but I have a little insider info on scheels...  They have bought a ton of winnys but not to be realeased until late March april sometime but no specific date.. Not sure what they will have either.  IMO I thin the race will be quickly over.. may guys have gotten what they want.. But maybe many haven't??? :D
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline Shuttleman

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2006, 10:15:32 AM »
Will this stop their ammo sales or is this a different situation.
Tom

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2006, 10:47:15 AM »
Ammo is made by a completely different company which is in fact or at least WAS in fact the REAL Winchester company unlike the company that made the guns. BUT the powder sales have been sold to Hodgdon so I wonder just what that means for ammo sales/manufacturing since the same company handled both ammo and powder. If Olin is dumping everything then unless Hodgdon is going to run the ammo business it too might end. Who knows.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline msorenso

• A Real Regular
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2006, 04:09:28 AM »
Did hogden  buy the lease on the name to produce it for them like repeating arms or did they actually buy that part of the company? :D
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2006, 06:28:35 AM »
I'm uncertain but I think they may have actually bought only the company and right to use the name as did US Repeating Arms a long time ago with the guns.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2006, 03:45:49 PM »
GB'

if Hodgdon's bought IMR and now Winchester, will the Fed's get into the monopoly-mode' and start hitting them with litigation?   it might be a monopoly, although Hodgdon's states that they are a Christian people/company.    I can't imagine they'll be allowed to consumate a deal that will stand up in Federal Court.

what do you think?

ss'
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2006, 05:38:08 PM »
I think there is still plenty of other competition out there so the feds won't get involved and besides they don't make anything, they just package and sell it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline xHogHunter

« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2006, 06:53:44 PM »
Saw a sign at one of the local gunshops.  "The model 94 and 1300 will be made in Russia and the model 70 will be made in Belgium." If this is true they will get none of my money and that goes for any Olin or Hodgen products as well and that includes Winchesters useless ammo.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2006, 07:04:34 AM »
I know the patents have expired on the Models 70 and 94 and likely have on the 1300. So anyone who wants really can make the guns. BUT unless they lease the rights to the Winchester name from Olin they cannot sell them as WINCHESTER guns. At this time the company who owns both Browning and the old US Repeating Arms which did have a lease on use of the name no longer does.

So while the guns maybe made elsewhere I do not think they will bear the name Winchester.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2006, 07:37:30 AM »
Well Belgium makes me think FN is going to be doing it.

If that's the case I would probably buy one because they don't know how to make junk. They will suddenly become more like A-Bolts than Model 70's if that's the case.

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline msorenso

• A Real Regular
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2006, 03:27:22 AM »
Ouch! Are the 70's that bad???? :D
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2006, 02:21:20 PM »
no, not a bad rifle at all.

Just that FN is basically Browning, and neither company makes anything that I haven't picked up and wanted to own.

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline msorenso

• A Real Regular
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2006, 08:31:51 AM »
How does the 94 stack up against Marlins lever action :D
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline Daks

• Contributor
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2006, 09:43:46 AM »
In my opinion, Marlin has the better gun. I find them more accurate and the fact that the top stays closed makes me more comfortable about avoiding foreign object damage.

Offline msorenso

• A Real Regular
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2006, 03:29:59 PM »
Ejection that bad on the 94?
LIVE FREE OR DIE