Author Topic: Help, advise on scope  (Read 876 times)

Offline volshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Help, advise on scope
« on: March 14, 2003, 12:32:52 PM »
I'm gonna put a scope on my Raging Bull and have my choice down to 2. Either a red dot or a low fixed scope. Any thoughts? I'm leaning towards the red dot right now. Help please. :D

Offline Hcliff

• Avid Poster
Help, advise on scope
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2003, 01:04:04 PM »
I like scopes.  The problem with scopes is "blacking out" (when you move and the scope goes black from not having it lined up) The scope will give you magnification red dots don't.  The red dot can be held and seen easier.  The best thing to do is to pick both up and see which you perfer.  With this question you will get all kinkds of answers but it what you like.  I like scope but my Dad like red dot.  It is the same questions in our family.

Take a look

Good Luck

Hcliff

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
red dot or scope
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2003, 08:58:29 AM »
I use a Bushnell red dot on my whitetail hunting Contender. Alot easier for close in shots in the woods. I have scopes on all my varmint barreled Contenders. Hard to shoot small groups with the red dot.

bobg

Offline volshooter

• Contributor
Help, advise on scope
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2003, 10:21:10 AM »
My gunsmith showed me a Bushnell red dot that had 4 different sight settings today. One of them was a crosshair the rest were various forms of 3 MOA's. I really liked the bright red crosshairs. I also looked at a 2 power scope and had a little trouble finding the horizontal hair when I looked into the trees/bushes. My man is reccomending a red dot. Decision time.
Rick :grin:

Offline WARPhEAGLE

Help, advise on scope
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2003, 05:44:11 PM »
I've got a fixed 2x simmons on my .44mag SRH and like it alot. I have never had a dot, but low fixed powers work well on handguns.

Offline volshooter

• Contributor
Help, advise on scope
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2003, 11:35:01 AM »
I found a Bushnell red dot with 4 different recticles online and it is on it's way here. i got to shoot a red dot and a regular scope since my first post and I really liked the red dot. It was easy on the eyes and very fast on target. It had a fixed 4 MOA. I found the scope not as easy to use as the red dot and there are no moving parts to break! Dealer said only electronics could get hurt and that was rare. I gonna try it. (got a real deal too, about 79$ cheaper online than locally)
Rick 8)

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
red dot
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2003, 12:01:30 PM »
Rick,

Where did you find one for that price?  That is the same as mine and the local dealer charged me $139.00. I would like to get one for my 300-221.

Thanks,
                    bobg :x

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
red dot
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2003, 12:07:10 PM »
Rick,

Think i read your post wrong. That was $79 cheaper. Also i think i paid $239 for mine.

bobg :?

Offline volshooter

• Contributor
Help, advise on scope
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2003, 01:58:12 PM »
No actually it was pretty close to the actual price!. I got a Bushnell  (stock # BS730134) Trophy 1 x 28 RD 4 INT RET MT.   $76.88

http://www.thegunsource.com/scopes/bushnell.htm

I looked around alot and found this Red Dot priced from $76 all the way to $199 FOR THE EXACT SAME SCOPE! Unreal. I only found 2 RD scopes by Bushnell, one had a 3 MOA and the other had 4 different recticles. I have the one with 4 recticles coming. It's like the one I tried on a pal's pistol. It is possible that Bushnell makes more expensive red dot scopes but I couldn't find any others.

Rick :D