Author Topic: 44 MAG CRANKACTION FOR DEER....  (Read 2848 times)

Offline DavOh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
44 MAG CRANKACTION FOR DEER....
« on: January 18, 2006, 09:34:13 AM »
How does the 44 mag crankaction carbine stack up in the deer woods?
What's it's effective range?
Open sights or scope?

Just thinking outside the box.

Thanks for any thoughts you guys might have... :D
-Davoh

Offline olbiffer

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 02:41:10 PM »
I've had one for goin on 10 years now and it is my go to gun for the brushy areas where shots are likely to be under 100yds. its light, quick handling and wont wear ya out packin it around all day. as far as effective range, I dont really know, all my shots have been at or under the 100 yard mark with some dramatic thud heavily to the ground results. I put a simmons 4x32 on it right after i got just to see if i liked it, and its still on.

Offline bill m.

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 02:32:46 PM »
I think it's great.
I load my own, though, and have much better performance than you'll ever get from factory loads.
 I also like the Hornady 265 grainers that were made for the 444. Loaded to the top with H-110 will leave you with 1000 lbs energy at 150 yards. Pretty impressive. I can group an easy 3 inches at 100 yds with my rear tang peep.
240's are what you're probably going to settle for from the stores. They're ok to 100 yards; further if your shot placement is perfect.
Best to stay away from hollowpoints. You need penetration; not expansion.

Offline Mannlicher

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 02:14:40 PM »
Speer's 270 grain GDSP over H110 powder has taken a several deer for me, as well has hogs.  I killed deer with the same bullet, but a factory load for years, before I handloaded them.  I find that bullet in my .44 Mag Marlin 1894 to be an exceptional combination for efficiency and accuracy.
Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Offline SUSQUASH

44 Mag Crank Action for deer
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 10:08:31 AM »
Why n ot a .357 Mag for deer?  I've used a Marlin 1884 for deer here in Michigan for years and have taken a majority of my deer with it.  I have a 3-9x40 scope mounted on it and can shoot 1 M.O.A. all day with it.  The longer barrel of the rifle gives considerably more velocity and energy than what the pistol gives.  Maximum range is about 125 yds but I have had a number of one shot kills.  I load .357 JSP over 16.5 grains of WW296.  It has proven very reliable.  The gun is short and handy for use in woods or brush where your shots are not over 125 yds and the light weight won't wear you out carrying it.
Take care and keep you powder dry.  :D

Offline K.K.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 02:00:55 PM »
I like my 44 Mag, Its one of the older ones without the side safety.  I carry it all day with no problem.  I originally put a 2-7 power scope, but removed it for Williams receiver sights.  I haven't shot at a deer much over 100 yards, and probably wouldn't.  The 44 Mag is about the minimum that I feel comfortable hunting deer with, especially since our Northern New York buck can run in excess of 200 lbs.  For close to medium range hunting for whitetails, the 44 mag is tough to beat.

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 10:53:56 AM »
I put a 2X pistol scope in a Scout Mount on my 1894SS, and everyone who handles it wants one.  It's got all the thump you need for the deer woods, and it's FAST!  Once they're properly broken in, Marlins are so slick they almost don't need you there to kill deer.  I wouldn't shoot mine past 50 yards, but that's my own limit, I've heard of clean kills out to 150 yards.  Six and a half pounds all up, perfect balance, and with the scope mounted ahead of the action, they still carry like a dream.  Lots to like.

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline jimmyp50

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 03:10:43 AM »
1.5 x 5 VX1 Leupold, Winchester Western White box 240 grain softpoints, Marlin .44 magnum, easy to carry, 2 inch group at 100 yds, low recoil, less noise, 100% pass through, good blood, dead deer at every shot, no exceptions. Don't get the 16 inch ear splitter if you want to hunt with it.  JimmyP
Jimmyp50Georgia

Offline Downeaster

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 03:52:55 AM »
Six and a half pounds all up, perfect balance, and with the scope mounted ahead of the action, they still carry like a dream. Lots to like.

Ditto that!  I have the same set up, except I have the Leopold Scout Scope on mine.
Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? :)

Offline Chuck White

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2006, 05:35:00 AM »
I use my Ruger 77/44 with 240 grain cast SWC bullets during the early part of deer season, when the underbrush is still thick and shooting distance is limited!

I have an old 2.5 power Weaver scope on it and feel that this power level is ideal!

I don't feel undergunned with this combo!

K.K. Where do you find those 200+ pound deer in NY?
I have never seen one that heavy, unless you are talking about "live weight"!
I'd love to get one that would dress that heavy!
Chuck White
USAF Retired, Life Member, NRA & NAHC
Don't matter what gun you use,
just get good with it!

Offline Downeaster

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2006, 10:48:03 AM »
Chuck White said:

K.K. Where do you find those 200+ pound deer in NY?
I have never seen one that heavy, unless you are talking about "live weight"!
I'd love to get one that would dress that heavy!

They grow that big up in Maine (paticularly Northern Maine).
Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? :)

Offline BRENN

Re: 44 MAG CRANKACTION FOR DEER....
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 01:43:42 PM »
BILL M IS RIGHT PLACEMENT IS THE KEY THEM GOOD OLD 265GRERS .GOT A RUGER DEER FIELD CARBINE .WE HAVE TAKING DEER OUT TO 175YARDS.
THAY GO CLEAR THREW.

Offline .308 Win.

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 06:11:37 PM »
This is something I've been giving some thought to, using a .44 in a Marlin 1894.  I live in Kentucky and here we have densely wooded areas but also some rolling hills that are pretty well open, sometimes offering as much as a 300 yard shot.  That's an ethical distance and one that has presented itself to me on many occasions.  I also thought this rifle could be mounted with a good red dot in a set of quick release rings for the stalk to your stand and a good solid 4X fixed scope for sitting in the tree.  If I am not mistaken, this rifle holds ten rounds.  The fact that it is fast, holds a lot of ammo and balances like your arm are all good reasons to own this gun.  I just have a hard time financially trying to own enough guns and if I have to be limited to one for hunting deer, I don't know that I would be completely happy with one of that kind of short range capability here in Ky.  See, I see myself going back and forth, just writing this post.  I guess I will just have to find a way to own a .44 and also keep my .30/06.  Does anyone know if Garrett makes a loading for the .44?  I know they make some awesome .45/70 ammo.       

Offline Coyote Hunter

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 06:16:36 PM »
A .44 mag and a .240g JSP will drop them like Thor's hammer.
Coyote Hunter
NRA, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

Offline Keith L

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 12:11:26 AM »
According to Federal their rifle loading for .44 mag drops 60 inches at 300 yards and has just over 500 fpe.  I wouldn't think that to be optimum in a deer cartridge.  100 yards or less it looks good.  Over that it starts to get shaky with both energy and especially hold over.  Just my 2 cents.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Coyote Hunter

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2006, 04:01:41 AM »

Keith L –

Your drop data is correct for the data Federal lists – 240g HP at 1760fps and a 100-yard zero.  I use Speer 240g JSP’s in both a Browning B92 carbine and a Ruger 7-1/2” Super Redhawk.  Velocities are 1883fps and 1519fps respectively.

Using my loads and a zero point calculated to provide Maximum Point Blank Range for a 6” target (the bullet is never more than 3” above or below line of sight), the Zero and MPBR ranges are as follows:

Ruger = 122yds, 143yds
Browning = 145yds, 169yds

The Browning delivers almost the same energy at 200 yards (750fpe) that that the Ruger does at 100 yards (779fpe).  Bullet drop at 200 yards with the Browning is a tad less than 9”, a very manageable drop (it’s a hold high on fur).

The Ruger has a 2x scope mounted and I often find myself shooting (at) clay pigeons at 100 yards.  I get my share of misses but get my share of hits, too.  The Browning has iron sights only and I frequently use it to shoot steel gongs at 200 yards (as I was doing last weekend).  Hits are not a problem.  (I shoot the gongs with the Ruger as well, but the drop is greater.)

The original question was with regards to a woods cartridge for deer, where ranges are generally fairly short, and the .44 works very well in this role.  For people who feel that 1,000fpe is the minimum needed for deer, the Browning’s range is 135 yards and the Ruger’s range is 45 yards.  At the MPBR of 169 yards, the Browning delivers 850fpe with a drop of only 3”.  This is lethal deer medicine.

Granted, it is not the best cartridge for an open-field or cross-valley shot at 300 yards.
Coyote Hunter
NRA, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

Offline txpitdog

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2006, 04:44:02 PM »
A .44 mag and a .240g JSP will drop them like Thor's hammer.

I'll second that, particularly with Nosler's 240 JSP.  I've used bullets ranging from 180 to 300 on deer and hogs, and the 240 just seems to fit the .44 mag best.  The Noslers are perfect for rifle velocities and will hold together even at very short ranges.  I shot a 165lb boar at 10yds with my 1894 and the 240 Noslers.  At 1800 fps, the bullet stopped on the far side of the hide, expanded to 0.6x0.8 inches, and retained 220+ grains.  At longer ranges, it acts more like a hardcast bullet and is plenty tough to crunch both shoulders and still completely penetrate.

For those that hunt in the woods and have <150yd shots, the .44 mag leveraction almost takes the fun out of owning other rifles.  It fits so perfectly with woods hunting that your other rifles will stay in the closet.  As much as I'd like to take a deer with my 35 Whelen, the .44 outclasses it for quick handling in the woods.  What's even worse is that anytime I think I'll have a shot 125-200yds, I take my 1895GS loaded with 300gr hardcast at 2100fps.  My poor 35 Whelen just can't get a break!

Offline retiree

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2006, 04:57:45 PM »
Anyone given some thought as to how the lever-evolution poiinted bullets for the .444 would help the .44 mag. Surely less drop would be very useful.   I might have to buy one of the .444 boxes, pull the bullets, and load them up with my good 265 grain .44 mag loading. Hm! from 100 yards up to 150 yards lethality.

Offline daddywpb

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2006, 11:30:33 PM »
Speer's 270 grain GDSP over H110 powder has taken a several deer for me, as well has hogs.  I killed deer with the same bullet, but a factory load for years, before I handloaded them.  I find that bullet in my .44 Mag Marlin 1894 to be an exceptional combination for efficiency and accuracy.

Ditto - I use 296, but the same bullet with outstanding results both in the field and at the range.

Offline missouri dave

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2007, 11:55:34 PM »
Retiree I've had that same thought. Really keen to see what happens with that.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on; I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them.