Author Topic: Help pick new scopes?????  (Read 1620 times)

Offline CT Bowhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Help pick new scopes?????
« on: January 23, 2006, 04:58:32 PM »
Ok so I've read all the post for the last year :-)  Now I've narrowed it down to the following: I need a scope for my Ruger MKII 30.06. Shots will be less than 250 yards (my limit).

Cost not being a factor, which should I choose:
Zeiss Conquest 3x9 40mm
Nikon Monarch UCC 3X9 40mm
Leupold VXIII 3.5x10 40mm

My son's 20 guage shotgun
4x Nikon Buckmaster
4x Leupold VXII

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 12:49:27 AM »
Optically wise, I would recommend the Zeiss Conquest.  If you want a great scope at a great price, than I would recommend the Nikon Monarch.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: Help pick new scopes?????
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 03:07:49 AM »
Quote from: CT Bowhunter
Ok so I've read all the post for the last year :-)  Now I've narrowed it down to the following: I need a scope for my Ruger MKII 30.06. Shots will be less than 250 yards (my limit).

Cost not being a factor, which should I choose:
Zeiss Conquest 3x9 40mm
Nikon Monarch UCC 3X9 40mm
Leupold VXIII 3.5x10 40mm

My son's 20 guage shotgun
4x Nikon Buckmaster
4x Leupold VXII

Go with the Leupold VXIII 3.5X10X40mm on the 06 and the 4X Leupold on the 20 guage.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Grubbs

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 07:21:01 AM »
Ct......you have them in the correct order already.  The same or more scope can be had for less money than anything Leupy makes these days.

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 11:39:50 AM »
Quote from: Grubbs
Ct......you have them in the correct order already.  The same or more scope can be had for less money than anything Leupy makes these days.

But there still not a Leupold.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Jimi

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 01:59:35 PM »
Unless you're going to get a proper Zeiss (not the Conquest) or Swarovski, stick with Leupold. Best value in top shelf scopes.
WWJD?(What Would Jimi Do?)

Offline Grubbs

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 04:22:17 AM »
Jimi, the words "value" and Leupold cannot be used in the same sentence!  The words Elite 4200, Nikon Monarch, and "value" can be.  By the way the Elite has a better warranty than leupold too.

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 04:56:56 AM »
Jimi, the words "value" and Leupold cannot be used in the same sentence!  The words Elite 4200, Nikon Monarch, and "value" can be.  By the way the Elite has a better warranty than leupold too.

Care to explain that one.  :?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 05:02:06 AM »
I think he maybe talking about the warranty that Bushnell has on their Elites, where if you do not like your Elite, you can get a full refund on your scope during the first year.  Leupold does not offer that.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline PEPAW

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 08:16:23 AM »
I am a Leupold guy for many years, but I prefer to shoot my new Elite now and it is "only" the 3200.  Without Firefly and with Rainguard.    Very clear.   Have not had the eye relief issues that seem to some up in these debates.   When I raise my gun, the scope is in focus and very clear.

pepaw

Offline JoeBru

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 11:35:07 AM »
I've got Swarovski, Conquest, Leupold and Elite.  
For a carrying hunting rifle and if money is not an issue you can't beat the Swaro, got a 3-9 x 36 on my own 30 06.

Next best is the Conquest, compared to the Swaro 3-9 a bit longer and heavier, not in the same class optically; but..........at about half the price, great scopes.

I have two 3-9x40's Conquests that I purchased from Jon, far prefer them to the Leupolds and the Elite that I have.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2006, 12:01:08 PM »
I have the Conquest, Monarch and Elite.  Never had a Leupold ( no real reason just never did).  I personally like the clarity and constant eye relief of the Conquest.  I have the 3.5x10 mostly cuz I like the 10x for target shooting.  But for deer hunting with the 06, at the ranges you are talking about, you would be in great shape with the 3x9.  Not many people ever hunt with their scope over about 6x.  

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline NimrodRx

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2006, 12:27:28 PM »
Just to really shake things up...  I took a chance on my last rifle and topped it with a Weaver Grand Slam.  Liked it so much that I got another one to put on my 22-250.  

I can't say how pleased I am with these scopes.  Grantid, my experience is really limited to Leup, Nikon, 3200s, and 4200s.  The 4200 was my old favorite.  The Grand Slam is a BARGAIN at right around $300.
"Make mine a double. Whether I'm ordering drinks or shotguns, it's always served me well!"  :toast:  :toast:

"It's been my experience that those who shoot most often, most often shoot well."  T. Roosevelt

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2006, 03:04:14 PM »
Quote from: TheOpticZone
I think he maybe talking about the warranty that Bushnell has on their Elites, where if you do not like your Elite, you can get a full refund on your scope during the first year.  Leupold does not offer that.

I just would not buy it to began with. I know when I buy a Leupold, I will keep it. I don't need a gimmick to buy a Leupold.  :wink:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline lostsniper308

• A Real Regular
  • old beaten up Martini-Henry .303 we found.
    • My Facebook account
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2006, 06:07:22 PM »
i've got a Nikon Pro-staff if your interested. on ebay. certainly not a Zeiss but still nice.
B Co. 1-22Inf 1st BCT 4th Infantry Division
OIF 08-09 out of the army now

Offline Grubbs

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2006, 04:01:15 AM »
Redhawk, I don't need a gimmick to buy Leupy's either.  The elite series has better warranty than Leupold (Jon @ Opticzone said it best).  I don't need to spend extra $$$'s to get an equal or superior glass as Leupold.  Need any further explanation?

Offline CEJ1895

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2006, 04:15:54 AM »
I don't know about gimmicks but I do know that I've sent a couple of 10+ year old Leupolds back for service for something I did and it only cost me postage to send it there.  Leupold fixed them free of charge and shipped them back to me. You just can't argue with service like that! Try that with a Redfield, they'll just laugh at you! Got burned with a couple of Bushnell's years ago and never looked at them again. Never was interested in any of the Elite's, not saying there not well made but I wonder what the service will be like down the road? Just my 2 penneys... CEJ...
If I can't take my rifles with me, I don't want to go!

Offline Ahab

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2006, 06:18:58 AM »
CEJ:
Never had to send any of my scopes back for repair. My 10 year old Leos  just plain sucked when compared to the new Monarchs and Elites (and new Leos as well) Donated the old Leo's to some deserving compadres. :grin:
NRA Endowment
Arizona Bighorn Sheep Society member
Arizona Antelope Foundation member

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2006, 08:57:04 AM »
Redhawk, I don't need a gimmick to buy Leupy's either.  The elite series has better warranty than Leupold (Jon @ Opticzone said it best).  I don't need to spend extra $$$'s to get an equal or superior glass as Leupold.  Need any further explanation?

Grubbs that still is not a reason to buy the elite in my opinion. ,Iyou are happy with the elite scopes and I am sure they are fine scopes, but that is not a reason to try to knock the Leupold's. If some of us want to pay for the Leupold's and not worry about always having to sent in the scope for repair then that is our decision.
You will never change my mind about Leupold scopes and I would never care to change yours. Use what you want, but I get sick of always hearing how us Leupold users are just paying to much. It is an old and worn out argument. Buy what you want, it is all about opinions here.  But you still never answered the question how is the warranty better than Leupold?  Being able to return a scope just because you don't like it does not constitute a warranty.  Why does it always have to turn into a battle when someone asks about a scope. What makes you opinion any more valid than mine?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2006, 09:00:28 AM »
Quote from: Ahab
CEJ:
Never had to send any of my scopes back for repair. My 10 year old Leos  just plain sucked when compared to the new Monarchs and Elites (and new Leos as well) Donated the old Leo's to some deserving compadres. :grin:

Well when you have some good Leupolds to get rid of let me know, I would rather buy a used Leupold than a new  Monarch or Elite.  :wink:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline june6th1944

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2006, 10:20:02 AM »
Zeiss Conquest on the rifle.

Zeiss lenses are made by Schott Glass in Europe.  Schott Glass makes lenses for all of the land-based telescopes in the U.S. and the Hubble used Schott-made lenses and other Schott fiberoptic equipment.

Zeiss etches the reticle into the lens--one less thing to worry about.  Their warranty is transferable to anyone who owns the scope.  The step-down area of the duplex is wider/larger than Leupold's therefore you are quicker on target.

Excellent value for the money b/c some of the parts are made in Europe then sent to the US for assembly, although the tubes are machined here.  Shipping the parts and assembling here keeps the costs down b/c labor costs are higher in Europe.

Good luck.

Offline Grubbs

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2006, 11:25:38 AM »
Redhawk, you are in love with anything Leupy makes and that's fine by me.  I prefer not to pay their inflated prices when I feel I can get just as much if not more scope for the money.  Based on the opinioins of several other people on this thread, and other threads, many people feel the same way.  I'm not intending for anything to be a battle, just stating my opinion.  If I don't agree with you that's just the way it is and that's OK.  Leupold does make great scopes.  They are just overpriced as compared to the Elite, Monarch, and many cases the Conquest.  That's just the facts. For explanation on the warranty (again) refer to opticzone reply to the question. FYI I currently own 6 Leupold scopes inc Vari X III, Vari X II, VX III, and VXII.  If they were price competitive I would buy some more, but they obviously aren't anymore.

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2006, 01:53:44 PM »
Grubbs, that is fine with me. I really could care less what anyone else buys. I buy what works for me. But it does get old in every post about scopes, we hear the same thing over and over. OK!! we get it, Leupold is overpriced in some peoples opinions. Now can we just get past that and move on and have fun talking about what we like. Shooting, hunting and guns.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline CT Bowhunter

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2006, 02:12:09 AM »
Okay so the choice of everyone is :

LeupZeisNikoVX4200Elite :eek:

Jon do you sell any of these scopes :P

Thanks for all the opinions. It looks like there are alot of great scopes with loyal followings. I'll keep everyone up to date when I finally decide.

I've recently had an issue with a brand new Bushnell 3200 2x7. It failed after 5 shots from my 12 guage. Sent it back with $10 and they gave me a new one. It kind of made me nervous about the Bushnells, but there is always a bad one that gets thru and they did replace it. It did cost $10. Bummer was I only had the scope for a week!

Offline CEJ1895

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2006, 04:45:11 AM »
CT Bowhunter - I'm glad to hear that Bushnell took care of your problem scope. All makers have a bad one slip by now and again but what makes the difference is in how they back up their products down the road not just after a year or two. You really can't go wrong with any of the brands that were mentioned here, just pick out the brand you like and fits your budget the best. Good luck with whatever you choose! CEJ...
If I can't take my rifles with me, I don't want to go!

Offline whitedogone

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Beretta S686 Sporting 12g 30"
Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting 20g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 Skeet 28g 28"
Browning BPS Syn. 12g 3.5" 26"
Browning BPS rifled w/ Pentax 2x5x20
Tikka M595 in .223 w/ Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40
Savage 93 in 17HMR w/ Mueller APV 4.5-14
Winchester 94 mint Built in 1951
Ruger Redhawk 7 1/2" 44 Mag

http://www.illinoiscarry.com/

Offline whitedogone

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Beretta S686 Sporting 12g 30"
Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting 20g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 Skeet 28g 28"
Browning BPS Syn. 12g 3.5" 26"
Browning BPS rifled w/ Pentax 2x5x20
Tikka M595 in .223 w/ Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40
Savage 93 in 17HMR w/ Mueller APV 4.5-14
Winchester 94 mint Built in 1951
Ruger Redhawk 7 1/2" 44 Mag

http://www.illinoiscarry.com/

Offline Jimi

• Avid Poster
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2006, 02:46:40 PM »
I find that most people in this country simply do not appreciate the satisfaction that comes from quality optics. Many folk that don't mind opening their wallet for a nice rifle become penny pinchers when it comes to topping it with a quality scope. They convince themselves that the lesser priced scopes are just as good... but I think it's simply delusional. Like Redhawk says.. to each their own. I don't really mind if someone isn't particularly discerning about their scopes... but I don't respect it when those same people start talking like they are superior judges of quality optics and then try to talk down those of us that are willing to piss away our money on top shelf product. The more proper response is something like "You know, I just don't understand what all the hoopla is about a $1,000 scope... my $300 scope works just fine for me." I can respect that kind of candor. But to go on about how a... what was it? Bushnell?... is as good as a Leupold. Come on... My Swarovski's may indeed be overpriced... but I am willing to pay for the experience of higher quality optics... Even if I pay three times as much when the quality is only twice as good, if you catch my meaning.
WWJD?(What Would Jimi Do?)

Offline Grubbs

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2006, 04:24:05 AM »
Jimi, I think you make excellent points.  That is why the last I have 2 Swaro scopes also.

Offline DavOh

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2006, 07:52:10 AM »
I personally wont buy a foreign made scope, regardless of the value. Go with Leupold VXIII or Burris Signature Select. Leupold edges Burris in my opinion on reputation.

To my knowledge they're the only 2 left that are made in the USA. But, someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that one, though.
-Davoh