Author Topic: Recommended gear for deer hunting.  (Read 1097 times)

Offline PEPAW

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Recommended gear for deer hunting.
« on: January 25, 2006, 08:10:39 AM »
I would like to pass along something I have learned in the past couple of years deer hunting.  The newer AAA battery headlamps are the most useful item in my pack.
The tiny powerful headlamps now available are useful for the morning trips to the stand, while climbing, while assembling gear once in the stand and loading shells or setting up archery gear.   It is much easier to hike on the cold mornings down a rough trail with both hands available and not have to carry a flashlight.  Especially if you are already carrying something (rattling horns, camera bag, seats, etc.)
In the evenings, they are helpful for repacking gear, climbing down, picking up loose gear, signaling hunting partners and most importantly, helping you field-dress in the dusk or dark.   I have cleaned deer with a flashlight in my teeth for the last time!   :-)    We hunt in a rough camp with no electricty or water and the headlamp stays on my cap or hat all night at camp.   No need to look for that !*&!?** flashlight. .:lol:   For skinning a deer back at camp, it is nice to have a direct bright beam of light everywhere you look with the sharp knife in your hand.
Of course, we have all killed deer without a headlamp, but for the price and weight, they are the handiest item in my pack.

pepaw

Offline elmer

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 03:57:40 PM »
Pepaw,

I was looking at them the other night and was amazed at the selection. What brand do you like? Is it the type with a band that goes around your head or the type that clips onto your cap brim?

Thanks,
Charles
aka Elmer
NRA life member
TSRA life member
Dallas Safari Club member
JPFO life member
GOA life member

http://public.fotki.com/ElmerF/
http://s215.photobucket.com/profile/CharlesL_album

Offline PEPAW

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 02:20:19 AM »
I have three (3) cheap ones that were given to me.   Don't know the brands, but my favorite is the smallest one.  They all fit over aound the hat/head with a second strap over the top that keeps them from slipping.  My favorite adjusts the light's direction with a pivotal base.
I can see my buying a nice one before my next nighttime hog hunt.

After I wrote the above post yesterday, this came out today in the sports page.   Much more and better info.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/outdoors/3613186.html

pepaw

Offline elmer

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 07:52:04 AM »
Thanks for the response and the link to the article.
NRA life member
TSRA life member
Dallas Safari Club member
JPFO life member
GOA life member

http://public.fotki.com/ElmerF/
http://s215.photobucket.com/profile/CharlesL_album

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 10:29:09 AM »
Headlamps are handy for taking care of nasty work like changing tires, checking under the hood, looking for firewood, and freeing the hands to carry firewood. It frees up your hands to perform first aid on someone or yourself.  And it is a signaling tool.  

I was issued my first handlamp back in 1962 and I have bought a few since.  There have been a lot of changes in the basic handlamp over the years, but miners, firefighters, Search and Rescue teams have them in their gear bag.  Headlamps are a go to item.  These folks know that they also require some maintence.  To have one fail at a critical time is unacceptable.  A few items to check depending on the light.

1.  Loaded with fresh batteries at the start of the season.  I keep a headlamp in my day pack year around.  I place the batteries in a baggie during the winter and rubber band or tape the bag to the light.  I have seen a number of lights destroyed by leaking batteries over the years.

2.  Insure that you have an extra bulb with your light.  Most lights have accomendation for the extra bulb.  Not only do I have an extra bulb in the light I also have a couple of extra bulbs in my camping gear.

Bulbs:  One of my headlamps uses the same bulbs as the Mini Maglights.  They can be found at most Wal Marts and K Marts.  I have a headlamp that operates on 4-AA batteries and another that operates on 4-D batteries.  Bulbs for these units are harder to find.  I take care of these needs ahead of the season.

3.  Make sure that your light works before the season starts.

4.  I use my old D battery headlamp around camp at night.  That way I am not burning the batteries in the one I carry in the field.

5.  Some head lamps such as my D cell powered one has a battery box which connects to the belt.  This unit will give the user continous use for 24 hours of darkness with good batteries.  Make sure that all wire connections are good.  This type of unit was used by fire fighters, miners, and S&R for years.  The biggest improvement in these lights has been the advent of Alkaline batteries.  Later models of this type of light has a ruggered plastic battery box.   I had my battery box come open in a cliff section one night spilling the batteries.  I was lucky and they all stayed on the edge next to my feet.  On hands and knees I was lucky find all 4 batteries.  I was lucky I did not have to spend that rainy night in the rockys.  There after I loop a rubber band around the box and re-check to make sure it is secure.  Some lessons are learned the hard way.

A wire carrys the power from the battery box to the lamp.  I have found that it is best to drop the battery box down under my outter shirt or jackey.  This also works by running the wire under you day pack.  This helps protect the wire from snagging up.

This industrial type of headlamp is heavy and designed for hard duty.  But I do not think that most recreationist need this.  The new lighter wieght ones powered by smaller batteries will do the job.

6.  Lights and the law.  Years ago I purchased a light that wildland fire fighters were starting to use.  It is powered by four, 1.5 volt AA batteries.  It is a great light.  One of my favorite hunting spots is a saddle about one mile from the road.  It is a natural deer crossing that I like to set on late in the day.  This means it is full dark when I come out of that drainage.  But the California Fish and Game outlawed any light that puts out more then 3 volts.  Again the honest man pays for the mis-deed of outlaws.  So I now have two headlamps that I cannot carry while out hunting.  There are modern, more powerfull lights to be hand, but you can use them in California.  I do not know about other States.

When I am hiking out after dark I am careful not to be hunting.  This could result in the loss of my rifle to the F&G.  I also demontrate care once I hit the road.  As a kid my Dad had dropped me off on top of the mountain.  I was to meet him after dark at the bottom of the mountain along the road.  While waiting along the road I was spot lighted by a Jeep.  When the guy realized it was a person he killed the light and beat feet.  I could have prevented getting spot lighted by stepping into the brush before the guy got me.  I can not recall if I had a light but if I did I could have shown it.  

My current daypack headlamp is powerer by 2-AA batteries.  It seems to be dependable and I would buy another.  I purchased it at Wal-Mart after looking at a number of models.  It is called a Night Blaster.  It has a good harness that fits over the head or a cap.  Loaded with batteries it is far lighter then the old D-Cell headlamp.  It carries an extra bulb in the lens housing.  The only fault that I have found is the "O" Ring that seals the lens housing came apart today when inspecting the light.  The light still works but I am sure the "O" was to keep out moisture.  I'll have so see if the hardware store has one that large.

If you have kids or grandkids involved with scouts, going camping, or to camp.  I good low cost gift.  They can read while it their sleeping bag, and not tie-up a hand.

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline toecutter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 11:27:59 AM »
Boy this topic really throws salt in my (not yet healed) wounds :cry:.  I am always preaching the virtues of headlamps, but toward the end of the season this year i lost my favorite headlamp while dragging out a doe.  I placed it on my head but didn't turn it on, and when I got out to the road it was gone.  I went back three times for it but to no avail.  

I have only bought Petzl lamps but there are so many to choose from, I'm sure most of the others are pretty good too.  This one was a "Tikka plus", it was around $35.00 and worth every penny.  Looks like I'll be buying another real soon.  

hope this helps :D

Offline Daks

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 02:28:58 PM »
I also use a Petzl Tikka Plus. Three brightness levels working off an LED array, so no bulbs to worry about. Fourth level is a blinker/signal. I like it for the most part. It is a headlamp on its own elastic strap.

My only gripe is a small one. When walking in to the stand before sunup, my breath cloud floats right up in front of me and the Petzl lights it up so that I can hardly see in front of me. I end up blowing instead of just exhaling. Better than stumbling in the dark and better than carrying a flashlight, but maybe a clip-on in the center of my chest would be a bit less irritating.

Offline PEPAW

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 04:25:48 AM »
Daks, sounds like you might need some scope for that breath. :lol:
Here in S. TX, I only had two days below freezing during our season.   Bugs around the light would be a bigger problem in our weather.

Good posts above
I forgot how often I use the light around the house for repair work also.   .

Where do you guys buy those Petzl lights?    I want a good light, but cost is always a factor in my hunting budget.

pepaw

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 05:12:55 AM »
I`ve got the "old" style head lamp fits over the cap.  Your right about
   helping out getting into and out of the woods when it`s dark.  Plus it makes following my glow-tack line a piece of cake. When i`m on my ATV  
  i don`t get wacked in the face nearly as often an added bonus for sure.
  Never had a steam effect  and hunt in cold weather. Maybe the cap brim
  blocks my huffing and puffing as the lite sites above and behind the bill.
  What ever, it`s a great piece of equipement.
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 07:51:56 AM »
The Ultimate headlamp assignment has you wearing two headlamps at once.  One facing forward and on one to the rear.  The job is to scout fireline for two D8 CATS after dark.(August 1978)  While you scout they are pushing brush and timber over to create a fireline.  The air is thick with dust and smoke.  Hopefully they can see your headlamp, and if you go down in the tangle they will not bury you.   And at the same time you do not drop into a mine shaft or rattler.  Your life depends in part on working headlamps.  

This in no way compares to those who wear them daily in a mine.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2006, 08:53:52 AM »
This year i bought a set of cat's eyes head lamps. it is a bank of 3 led that attach to the brim of a hat. they are very bright and light weight. These are all I use now theyare only about $10 at walmart.

Offline Daks

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2006, 04:12:44 AM »
It is bad enough having to smell my own breath in the morning but to see it too is just a bit much! I wonder if a guy can drink scent eliminator? :roll:

What I really need is to lose weight and quit huffing and puffing so much...

The Petzl Tikka Plus I got at Gander Mountain but I've seen them in Cabelas at times and at Bass Pro.

Offline snicker

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2006, 06:41:49 AM »
This is a really good idea, beats trying to carry stuff and a flashlight.  I have been using a Mini-Mag for years to get to my stand but find I really need an extra hand sometimes.  Has anyone tried the ones that have a red or green light in them or a filter?  Supposed to help preserve your night vision and the deer can't see it.  Seems like that would work but don't know how they show up other stuff like logs and such.

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2006, 12:50:33 PM »
While I can see the value of a head lamp searching for a deer or for use while dressing one but I know my way to my stand well enough that in the morning I only hold the flashlight down at my side pointing at the ground.  I can see a step or two in front of me and that's all I need.  Also, it makes me feel good that some goober won't open up on me.  
I don't think its a good idea to be jack lighting all over the woods on your way to your stand.

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2006, 01:26:19 PM »
I use mine when getting in and out of my stand, and locking and unlocking it. while i know the way to and from my stand well things always changes I have come accrosed limbs taht have partly fallen other things not expected

Offline PEPAW

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2006, 05:37:04 AM »
Beeman,
I have little problem heading toward the stand, but we have to cross a river bottom that is dark and there are stepping stones to navigate.  (actually cinder blocks I dropped in for the purpose).  There are a couple stretches of brush I normally walk with no obvious trails and lots of prickly pear cactus and "turkey pear".   :eek:
More importantly, there is always the nightmare of a rattlesnake in S. TX.   Haven't seen one in several years, but have almost stumbled across numerous skunks on both of my normal hunting grounds.    Cover up scent is one thing, an irritated or scared skunk is another!    :)
For you guys that hunt private land like me, that headlight is real handy for unlocking/locking combo locks on the pasture gates before daylight or after dark when your eyes are not quite what they used to be.    

pepaw

Offline ronbow

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2006, 03:08:51 AM »
My headlamp is always either in my truck or on my head. It has 3 settings: a red light, a dim light and a spot light for distance. The red light allegedly is not supposed to spook deer (?). It is a Rayovac from Wallymart for about $16. Uses AAA batteries and gets a lotta hours out of the 4 batteries. I carry a spare mini-mag in my fanny pack. Make sure if you buy one that it has 3 straps (sides and top of head), otherwise over time the strap stretches and lamp falls on your nose. GREAT PIECE OF EQUIPMENT.

Offline Brig33

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2006, 05:04:18 PM »
NOT OT BE MEAN BUT I DONT US A HEAD LAMP ON THE FACT OF BUMPING DEER ON THE WALK IN. I NOMALY KNOW HOW TO GET TO MY STAND WITH MY EYE CLOSED BUT I DO HAVE ONE AND IT IS GREAT FOR TRACKING AND DRAGGING OUT. I HAVE USED ONE TO GET IN BEFORE SO IT IS WHAT YOU THINK IS BEST GOOD LUCK MINE COST ABOUT 15 AND IS REALLY BRIGHT AND I USE IT TO HIKE AND OTHER THINGS CAMPING I LOVE IT
THANKS
Thanks brig33