Author Topic: Barrel liner in big mortars??  (Read 628 times)

Offline entsminger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Barrel liner in big mortars??
« on: January 25, 2006, 09:23:56 AM »
I have heard several folks on this forum say that a cannon for shooting should have a steel seamless barrel liner to be safe. Makes good sence to me. Does this apply to big mortars as well like an 1861 8 or 10 inch reproduction? Hern who make an 8 inch of gray iron says that the thickness of the iron around the bore precludes the need for a liner. I don't think Paulson brothers 8 or 10 inch has a liner either? Do you think the size of these mortars eliminates the need for a liner to make them safe to shoot? Maybe the iron they use now is stronger than old gray iron?Does anyone who reads this own one of these 8 or 10 inch reproduction mortars?

Scott

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 09:39:13 AM »
The repro and orginal seige mortars that I know of are unlined.  I shoot an orginal 8 inch seige mortar.  The longest range that we have fired it at is about 900 yards.  The range tables show that it could be used out to 2000 yards using two pounds of powder.  At that range you want to have a target area about the size of Fort Sumter.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Dictator

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 11:30:03 AM »
How about a few pics :-). These are the guys from the Lichtfield heavy artillery battery firing last year in New Ulm, MN. They won. It was fun talking to them.

[/img]

Offline Blaster

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 03:05:10 PM »
Quote from: Dictator
How about a few pics :-). These are the guys from the Lichtfield heavy artillery battery firing last year in New Ulm, MN. They won. It was fun talking to them.

Joe, you on for the Casper, WY shoot this June?  If so, will you have your Bowling Ball mortar finished to participate with??
Blaster (Bob in So. CO) :D
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline Dictator

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 01:13:22 AM »
I'm planning on it Blaster Bob. Have you heard the dates yet? I'm hoping to have the mortar booming by then, we'll see :lol: Here's a little from last year @ Casper:

[/img]

Offline Blaster

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 03:37:36 PM »
Quote from: Dictator
I'm planning on it Blaster Bob. Have you heard the dates yet? I'm hoping to have the mortar booming by then, we'll see :lol: Here's a little from last year @ Casper:

[/img]

Dictator Joe, those are some great pictures.  I'll check and get the schedule for the next Casper Cannon Shoot to be held sometime in June.  I'll post it as soon as I can come up a reliable date.  Keep in mind that there is a HUGE rodeo in Casper that same weekend so you'll want to start on your motel reservations early as possible unless you are camping on the adjacent gounds.  I'll be back.
Blaster (Bob in So. CO)
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)