Author Topic: Which Bullet ?  (Read 847 times)

Offline kudzu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • (Dancoman)
Which Bullet ?
« on: January 26, 2006, 05:34:07 AM »
I have decided that my 300RUM will be my primary gun for a Colorado elk hunt.
My question now is what bullet ? I'm narrowed down to the 180 gr. Scirocco, 180TSX, and the 180 Accubond. I don't feel that more than a 180 gr bullet will be needed. Please tell me if I'm wrong(I'll get over it quick). Open to ALL suggestions and opinions.  Thanks, DM

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
Which Bullet ?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 08:08:48 AM »
Given quality bullets the 180-grain bullet is plenty for elk.  My personal favorite would be the TSX, but the other two should work fine.  The Accubonds reportedly open like BallisticTips but hold the jacket to the core; if you anticipate the need for the deepest penetration you might want to choose from the other two designs.  

Food for thought:

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/techside/ts0409/

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Which Bullet ?
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 11:12:09 AM »
:D A 180 gr. bullet should be fine. I've killed them with smaller. I don't have experience with either. I've been using a 165 partition which worked fine. I think most any quality bullet will work good for elk, so  you should be fine with either.

Offline Don Fischer

• Trade Count: (1)
Which Bullet ?
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 04:33:38 AM »
Of the three you listed, I don't think you listed a bad one. I'm one of those gut's that doesn't place a lot of value in those premium bullet's but they'll sure work. I like Hornady's and Speer Hot Cores.
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline kudzu

• A Real Regular
  • (Dancoman)
Re: Which Bullet ?
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 03:17:57 PM »
Have decided to go with the 200AB for my 300RUM sendero. Everyone seems to be having good luck with them, and you sure can't argue with the ballistics on them. In the load developing stage. Will post the final outcome, whenever I finally get there.