Author Topic: New Project  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
New Project
« on: January 26, 2006, 04:25:13 PM »
For an up coming project, I decided to build one of these to see what it looked like. It is a barrel called a "Pack Parrott". None are known to exist, and there is no record of any ever built. As far as I know. Kind of a mean looking barrel I think. This is a quarter scale version. It is 9" long and machined out of 2.250" 1018 shaft. After the trunnions are welded on I will paint it Black.

Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline Dictator

• Avid Poster
New Project
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 02:00:44 AM »
Once again, nice looking work Wes. Is it golf ball caliber? It looks kind of like this little guy:

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
New Project
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 08:30:51 AM »
This one is .75 caliber. The next one will be 1/2 scale and I'll bore it for golf balls.

Thanks, Wes
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.

Offline rampa room artillery

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
the truth
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 09:57:27 AM »
they were real,
   i dont know of any originals, but i have seen original drwings of them and they were used in the civil war, it was the norths answer to the confederate mountain rifle,  it used the same rounds as the full 10 lb parrot,  i am working on having a full scale one made for me now, 3 lance 3 grove,

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
New Project
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 11:45:37 AM »
rampa room artillery
     There are alot of drawings around of stuff that never got made, I personaly have qiute a pile. There is no indication that any of those were ever. The owner owner of the one at the Fort will tell you that.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
New Project
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 11:47:03 AM »
I guess it depends on your definition of real (to paraphrase W.J. Clinton.)  Official plans exist but there is no known evidence of any being created (such as purchase orders, etc.) nor are there any surviving pieces.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
New Project
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 12:27:26 PM »
Exactly!

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
New Project
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 01:41:09 PM »
I've even seen drawings of stuff that can't be made :-D
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
New Project
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 01:51:41 PM »
I've also seen plans for stuff that could be built, if I had more time :-D
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"

Offline CU_Cannon

• Contributor
New Project
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2006, 10:18:52 AM »
I decided to make a little Pack Parrott of my own.  

Here is one bb size.  I don't mean bowling balls but 17 cal bbs.  It turned out ok.  The finish isn't the best I can achieve but it will do for a prototype.  I need to make a jig to mill come pockets for the trunnions.  I think IÂ’ll solder the trunnions on.