Author Topic: charcoal/baking soda and cedar chips for clothes storage??  (Read 1178 times)

Offline Bama76

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
charcoal/baking soda and cedar chips for clothes storage??
« on: January 28, 2006, 04:05:56 AM »
I currently have a mix of charcoal and cedar wood chips in my sealed
camo clothes storage container. The charcoal to absorb human odors and
the cedar for a cover scent and because I just like it! . My question
is this. Am I simply "loading up" the charcoal with cedar smell there
by rendering it useless as a human odor absorber? The same question
would go for baking soda also. I'm just not sure how those odor
absorbers work. Thanks for any help.

Mike

Offline Daks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
charcoal/baking soda and cedar chips for cl
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 11:04:31 AM »
I know baking soda will become ineffective over time. I don't know about charcoal.

I'd probably guess that you don't really need to store hunting clothes in the off-season with odor eliminators. Just hang it outside a couple of days before going hunting, then hose down with scent eliminator spray. During hunting season, just take them off outside.

And hunt with your nose pointing upwind.

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 12:59:23 PM »
I keep my hunting clothes in a foot locker.  Mainly so I can find them in the fall.  I put cedar chips in with them mostly to make me feel good and I like the smell.  I've taken camo's out of storage that smelt strongly of mothballs and worn them.  It didn't seem to make any difference.  How many deer smell mothballs during their life?  And how do they associate it with humans?  

I think this "odor elimination" stuff is a blue gosling.  Most of your odor comes from your head and mouth.  So unless you can put your head in a plastic bag and hold your breath for a long time, the odor elimination stuff is mainly to help you unload some of your cash.

Offline srwshooter

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 01:56:32 PM »
i have a closet i use just for hunting gear , i use cedar also in the closet.
wash all clothes in baking soda and hang outside to dry. in bow season i leave my clothes outside the whole season . i also use odorlock sent block that i carry in my pack,i will spray all exposed areas while in my treestand, if its warm i respray about every 2 hrs. a big refill bottle only cost around 7.00 it will last me all of the season. this season i had deer as close as 4ft  while on the ground and not once did they spook.

Offline Daks

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 11:08:42 AM »
I don't buy scentlock clothing but I am pretty sure that odor control is important, no matter what one does. Since I started being diligent in eliminating as much scent as I can, my success rate on deer has gone up. I see more deer that don't know I'm there, the deer are closer, they aren't alerted. I hunt with a bow as well as a gun and when I use bowhunting techniques for both seasons, such as scent control, I get more deer per day spent in the field.

Your mileage may vary.