Author Topic: THE FIRST REAL QUESTION  (Read 2374 times)

Offline Ghostrider_23

• Trade Count: (0)
THE FIRST REAL QUESTION
« on: January 29, 2006, 02:29:58 AM »
Friends are always telling me, "WHY DO YOU HAVE SO MANY GUNS , YOU SHOULD PICK ONE AND GET REALLY GOOD WITH IT AND THAT ALL YOU NEED". So, my question to you at this discussion is are they correct?? Should I pick one to carry and stay with just that one or so I have many firearms for different climate changes and dress wear? This is the real QUESTION!

One is only as stong as as the amount of knowledge of others.
Ghostrider

Offline Buford

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
Ask
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 02:50:57 AM »
Ask this fellow why he has SO FEW guns.  It is your life, your interest, your money - why should his opinion mean anything?

Offline hogship

• Avid Poster
THE FIRST REAL QUESTION
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 02:59:12 AM »
There's more to it than just getting a gun for need's sake. It's also a hobby. Sort of like expecting a coin collector, or auto enthusiast, to have just one......the hobbyist has more, because there is more than a casual interest.

hog

Great, great, great, great, great grandson of a Revolutionary War Veteran.

--> Bill of RIGHTS, not bill of NEEDS <--

Visit my photo album, Vietnam 1968-69 at: http://www.picturetrail.com/taipan22alpha

Offline jimster

THE FIRST REAL QUESTION
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 03:11:25 AM »
You can not only have lots of guns, you can get really good with all of them.  

I guess if someone asked me why I have so many, I'd just say

"because I can"

Offline Win 73

• Avid Poster
THE FIRST REAL QUESTION
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 05:07:45 AM »
Quote from: jimster
"because I can"

I would just add to that "Welcome to America"
"When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace."  Luke 11:21

Offline Win 73

• Avid Poster
THE FIRST REAL QUESTION
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 05:13:25 AM »
Quote from: jimster
"because I can"

I would just add to that "Welcome to America"
"When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace."  Luke 11:21

Offline rockbilly

THE FIRST REAL QUESTION
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 06:19:47 AM »
:D I agree with your friend, one is enough for anybody, now make your choice of what you wish to keep and sent the rest to me for safe keeping. :roll:

When I get this kind of remark from someone, I tell em, "I have two safes full of guns, they are mine, bought and paid for, I love em like my wife and dogs, and plan to keep em all."  

Funny, I use about three guns regular, the rest just set in the safe and "look pretty" until I am ready to dig them out.  I have guns that have not been fired since the early sixties, they are all cleaned about twice a year,  but I don't plan on getting rid of them anytime soon. :wink:

Offline fltcrkhilbily

THE FIRST REAL QUESTION
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 03:10:27 PM »
hogship. thats a nice lookin' collection. what brand of safe is that? and did it come with hangers in the door? If you added them later what are they and how did ya do it? Also did it affect the warranty?
If you dont mind sharing.

Offline hogship

• Avid Poster
THE FIRST REAL QUESTION
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2006, 03:53:06 PM »
Quote from: fltcrkhilbily
hogship. thats a nice lookin' collection. what brand of safe is that? and did it come with hangers in the door? If you added them later what are they and how did ya do it? Also did it affect the warranty?
If you dont mind sharing.

Thank you, fltcrkhilbily.....

It's a Fort Knox safe.....have had it for 7 or 8yrs now. Yes, it did come with hangers on the door, at an extra cost. Those red hangers for the black powder pistols were added by myself, but everything below that is factory equipment, although repositioned. I don't think it would effect the warranty, but I believe the warranty has expired anyway.

The original shelves and rifle racks were removed. I built my own rifle racks.

hog
Great, great, great, great, great grandson of a Revolutionary War Veteran.

--> Bill of RIGHTS, not bill of NEEDS <--

Visit my photo album, Vietnam 1968-69 at: http://www.picturetrail.com/taipan22alpha

Offline rockbilly

THE FIRST REAL QUESTION
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 02:52:12 PM »
:D I cut a piece of peg board for my safe.  They are cut about 1 1/2 inch shorter and narrower than the doors.  They are mounted using a 3/4 inch spacer and screws at each corner and in the middle,  I use standard hooks that you buy a Lowe's, I covered the hooks with plastic heat shrink to protect the guns.  They are hung upside down by the trigger guard.  It works great, puts them out where you can see them and they are readily available. You just have to remember to leave enough space in the safe for the door to close without hitting the pistols. :wink:

Offline williek

one gun
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2006, 04:53:40 AM »
When I'm asked why I need to own more than one gun (Usually by a woman) I ask, "Why do you own more than one dress?"  That usually takes care of the question.
If they explain they need more than one because of different weather, different seasons of the year, different types of events- I explain those are the same reasons I need more than one gun.  I then ask if they have ever bought a new dress because it was just so doggone pretty they just had to have it.  They say yes, and I say it's the same thing for alot of my guns.  They look confused and I walk away.  
If a man asks, I ask if he has more than one pair of shoes.  The shoes question also works with the ladies.
Both groups think it's a totally different thing.  But I still have fun with it.
Good Hunting,
williek

Offline Greeenriver

• Avid Poster
THE FIRST REAL QUESTION
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2006, 02:08:03 PM »
There's a lot of truth in both ides of this.  I was always told to beware of the man with only ONE gun, he probibly knew how to use it better than the man with many. But I own a lot of guns, and probibly will buy more before I die.  I like guns and like to have a lot of them arround to use and look at.

But years ago, when I could only afford to own one gun for everything, I shot that one gun better than all the rest of the ones I now own.

Now that I have many guns, I try to restrict myself to carrying the same STYLE and size of gun as a CCW all the time. Might be a diferent brand and cal,  but the same kind of gun all the time. Functions the same all the time. No confusion if it's needed. This make since to you??

For me, since I shoot a Single Action revolver more than any other kind of pistol, a SA is what I cary most of the time.  It's a "Non-thinking" kind of gun for me. I shoot a SA about 300 to 500 rounds a month, a semi-auto maybe 100 to 200 rounds a year. That includs rimfires and centerfires.  I've used single actions for so long and so much, it's dificult for me to shoot my Ruger 22/45.  It don't have a hammer for me to catch with my thumb and I have to look at the gun to see where everything is.

I hope I havn't confused you further, I sometimes do that to myself.

Buy a lot of guns, cary the same kind that you shoot the most.

Works for me.

Greeenriver
Most of life's problems can be handled by a sutiable application of high explosives

Offline Balto

First Real Question
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2006, 12:25:31 PM »
I fall in Green River's camp,

I have lot of safe queens.  No problem with that. But I only have a handfull of guns that I shoot alot.

My go to guns:  

--general packing fishing hiking gun  in bear country:  Ruger SBH in .44
--self defense:  glock 26 and 27 in 9mm and 40 s&W.  thinking of selling and getting another 26 in 9mm
--moose bear caribou deer hunting in bear country : 338 win bolt
--sheep hunting in bear country: 30-06 win bolt

I do believe that a person should own more than a few guns for each occasion but they should be a duplication. In otherwords shoot the hell out of one and have another as backup with same trigger pull, feel action type, safety type, model barrel length, etc.

Currently I am thinking of getting another Ruger SBH in same exact model and barrel length, another Glock 26 and sell the 27.  The only reason I own two model 70 winchesters in 338 and 30-06 is the 26 inch barrel on the 338 is no problem for most of my hunting, but way toooo long on sheep hunts where I hunt --so the 30-06 goes sheep hunting. Also they have the same type of safeties.

I can adapt to just about any firearem but am a BIG believer is profiecieny and familiarity with few weapons............Balto

Offline kyote

• A Real Regular
THE FIRST REAL QUESTION
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2006, 03:06:55 AM »
"Friends are always telling me, "WHY DO YOU HAVE SO MANY GUNS , YOU SHOULD PICK ONE AND GET REALLY GOOD WITH IT AND THAT ALL YOU NEED".
Well I don't have any friends like that.most of mine have as many as me or they are trying to get as many as me.
I like buying firearms, taken them apart and smoothin out things and working up a loads for them.I have two four wheel drives.one is a pretty hot Jeep CJ7 lockers front and rear and the axels are rated to 7000HP.it will only go 65mph and screams any faster then that.And I love the truck guns I am allways headed to the mts or desert in it with some firearms looking for targets of oppurtunity. (interesting rocks,cow turds bugs ect) I don't realy shoot rabbits and such any more.just the filthy coyotes when I see em.nice safe you have there.I had to build an attachment to the garage and make a walk in vault.I have peg board on the wall to hang the handguns,and racks around the walls that I put the long guns in barrel down.145 plus....
my huntin rifle is safe from confiscation only while my battle rifle protects it.

Offline wolfsong

• Avid Poster
THE FIRST REAL QUESTION
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2006, 07:29:26 PM »
When anyone would ask a question such as "why do you collect _______", it  always amuses me. I collect many different things, like original art work featuring wolves, native American artifacts, blues music, pocket knives, antique furniture, old swords, old farming and ranching tools and equipment, chopsticks (yes, chopsticks!), old  wooden steamer trunks, cigar bands, many types of books, and, oh yeah, GUNS! Friends have often commented that our home looks like a museum. I won't even get into what my wife collects. I'm never sure what answer will satisfy them, and I don't really care. Like others have said here - because I can! Doesn't darn near everybody collect something or other? Just keep aquiring what makes you happy and holds your interest. I wish I could be proficient with every gun I own, but each one has it's own quirks and functionability. Half the fun is the challenge of mastering each one. I can't tell you how many times I thought about selling (and even giving away) my S&W Sigma .40. That muther's 12 pound trigger pull frustrated me to no end. A couple of years and thousands of rounds later I'm still not as consistant as I would like to be. But it sits on my night stand 'cause I'm not gonna let that gun get the best of me and I can put 'em in a good enough grouping to defend myself. To echo other sentiments mentioned here, different occasions call for different guns. 'nuff said. Keep collecting and shooting. Peace and God bless, Wolfsong. :D
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND MAY GOD HELP CALIFORNIA

Offline K.K.

• Avid Poster
THE FIRST REAL QUESTION
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2006, 10:26:38 AM »
My wife used to ask the same thing....Until I pointed out to her that in our 5 bedroom home, my clothes take up only half of one, the others are full of hers.  Unlike clothes, fine guns never go out of style, often increase substantially in value, they offer years of fun, they can feed and protect our families, I can pass them along to my kids and grand kids, and the fact that I am allowed by law to own them proves that I have never been a felon.  What else can one collect that offers so much?  As with many of you, I own many more guns than I need, never more than I want!  Keep buying, selling, trading and enjoying your firearms!

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
THE FIRST REAL QUESTION
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2006, 04:02:02 PM »
And different guns have their purposes.. me and my friends have tried to use one, and it doesnt work.  As in when we used our semiauto .40sw and 9mm's to try and shoot clays (flying clays) and didn't hit a single one out of about 20...  Then when you are deer hunting, get bored after seeing absolutely nothing, and shoot rabbits with a 180grn JHP from a 30.06, believe me, you can't eat him for dinner!!  I believe if one of my friends asked me why I need so many guns... I would ask him when he started to have a romantic interest in men....  And sometimes you have a just in case..  I dont plan to go to Africa anytime soon, but if i do, my .458 lott is gonna be right there with me.  And there are a lot of cases, too many to count.   :)
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline NYH1

THE FIRST REAL QUESTION
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2006, 07:59:44 AM »
Own all the guns you want......the more the marrier I say.

One thing I'm a firm believer in though is to use the same "operating system" for self defense or carry guns. If you have a large carry gun you carry sometime and you want something smaller to carry at other times I would highly recommend getting the same kind of gun just smaller. The last thing you want to do is try to figure out how to use you gun when you need it the most. Ask anyone who has ever been in combat or a police officer (or anyone else) that has had to use his or her weapon. You have to know how to use it RIGHT NOW! Safeties, magazine release, sights, and on and on. If you carry a Glock 17 and want something smaller get a G26. If you carry 4 inch S&W model 686 and want something smaller look at a S&W model 60 or something like that. These are just examples. But at the end of the day this just my opinion!

As for hunting rifles or just guns to plink with like I said the more the marrier!
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline thedave87

THE FIRST REAL QUESTION
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2006, 07:35:54 PM »
Its a collection, like anything else. When I have the money, and the mood strikes, I buy another gun because I enjoy it. They all have a use and all have character. And like someone above said... get good with them all. I own 5 guns, and feel confident with every one of them.

Offline flash-in-the-pan

THE FIRST REAL QUESTION
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2006, 07:25:37 PM »
The only person ever to ask me that question was my ultra-liberal college-professor brother.  I said, "Because I can, because I like to. I like fine machinery, fine tools as much as you like neatly solved mathematical equations and chemical formulae".  No answer really was satisfactory, so I just shrugged.

I  seem to hold a differing opinion, concerning shooting different types and styles  of arms.  Though it is true that I shot my .45 for the Centerfire matches as well as Service Pistol in three-gun Bullseye,  I still feel that it is a challenge to become, not only *familiar* but  *proficient* with each firearm in the vault. Kind of a personal challenge, and ..... "you never know".

Besides which, it gives me more reasons to reload, make more trips to the range, spend more time in the gunshop,  . . . etc, ad infinitum.

Flash
Hath God obliged himself not to exceed the bounds of our knowledge?
Michel de Montaigne   1533-1592

Offline longwalker

• Contributor
needs and wants
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2006, 05:52:48 AM »
All we need is one. This however does not quench my wants list. I don't need a 22 pistol but I have one. I hunt with a 44 magnum but I could just as easlily use my 357 magnum. Lets not get in to rifles and shotguns.

longwalker

Offline slink

• Avid Poster
Since when does anyone need to hit flying birds?
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2006, 03:05:59 PM »
That's just snob-appeal stuff. Those who truly ARE good with lots of different guns shoot for a living, or are indepently wealthy. Such skill takes dozens of hours per week to attain (and keep) So it is out of reach of the working man. What such people usually mean is half-assed ability with lots of guns.
Deactivated 04-22-06 for rules violations after repeated warnings.

Offline kyote

• A Real Regular
THE FIRST REAL QUESTION
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2006, 04:27:35 PM »
That's just snob-appeal stuff. Those who truly ARE good with lots of different guns shoot for a living, or are indepently wealthy. Such skill takes dozens of hours per week to attain (and keep) So it is out of reach of the working man. What such people usually mean is half-assed ability with lots of guns.

I do not shoot for a living and am very good (I mean good not half as---).with the lot of firearms I own.
once most folks learn to shoot good.they retain this skill.you must have trouble with this.I am a working man.and I own mucho firearms and related items.I guess a working man to you must be some one that can not get out of the minwage slump.I choice to spend time at the range shooting at targets instead of a bar shooting my mouth off.I abstain from a lot of things so I can enjoy my hobbies.and I believe other working men do also.
my huntin rifle is safe from confiscation only while my battle rifle protects it.

Offline slink

• Avid Poster
Can you reliably do this?
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2006, 04:52:31 PM »
toss up two soda cans, with the hand that "clears" your concealing garment, and hit both in midair with a ccw pistol and load? Can you hold your fighting rifle at low ready, safety engaged, toss up 2 such cans, hit both in midair, using either shoulder?  I thought not, and I repeat, half assed levels of skill are what nearly everyone is talking about.

Offline kyote

• A Real Regular
THE FIRST REAL QUESTION
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2006, 03:14:34 AM »
I have shot with world champions that can not do that.you are watching to many movies..throw two cans in the air then draw from a concealed carry and hit them..blaaaa,ha ha ha..then a rifle at low ready saftey on and with either shoulder shoot them in mid air.Blaa ha ha ha..way to much time in front of the TV my friend.."low ready"...blaaa ha ha ha..you must shoot IDPA...he he he.. :)

Offline Savage

THE FIRST REAL QUESTION
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2006, 05:51:53 AM »
[[b toss up two soda cans, with the hand that "clears" your concealing garment, and hit both in midair with a ccw pistol and load? Can you hold your fighting rifle at low ready, safety engaged, toss up 2 such cans, hit both in midair, using either shoulder? [/b]
slink,
Do you know someone who routinely does this? A person with these abilities, can make a hell of a good living as an instructor! Or exhibition shooter, (Bob Munden).  I don't even know anyone among the three gun masters in my area that even attempt such a thing. You would need to do all your shooting in the middle of the desert to be halfway safe, as a projectile fired at optimum elevation travels for miles :shock:
Come on, we know you're just pulling our leg! :wink:

Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Skeeterbaymac

• Avid Poster
THE FIRST REAL QUESTION
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2006, 08:28:50 AM »
Mr. Ghostrider:  I just think you need new friends.  You are associating with the wrong crowd! :wink:

Offline slink

• Avid Poster
I can do it, and have been so able for over 20 years now.
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2006, 05:39:42 PM »
It's not that tough if you know a couple of things.  Start training for the pistol with .45 primer only wax, then the .22 unit. With the AR-15, use the .22 conversion and tracers,and "v-notch" the short range wing of the peep sight, aim at the TOP of the cans, because of the AR's super-high sightline above the bore-line.  To make a lot of money as an instructor, you have to LIE a lot, tell people what they want to hear about their bs gear and "ability".

Offline williamlayton

THE FIRST REAL QUESTION
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2006, 11:23:47 PM »
I have had a flash of brillance this morning---well, OK maybe the coffee just kicked in---
I would tend to agree and well, disagree at the same time, with the original question.
I would agree that all that is needed is one gun/weapon and disagree that that may be the same one in all circumstances.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Savage

THE FIRST REAL QUESTION
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2006, 01:31:19 AM »
slink,

Ahhhhh------------------I'll decline further comment on the exibition shooting.
William, you did indeed have a flash of brilliance! Well said my man, well said!!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,