Author Topic: single shot on a deer drive??  (Read 1486 times)

Offline buckslayer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
single shot on a deer drive??
« on: January 30, 2006, 08:59:29 AM »
i will be in several deer drives in the '06 season. this will be the first time i have ever done this. if i'm in a thick woods area, will it matter if i have a single shot or a repeater?? is thier usally a chance for a quick 2nd shot?? are running shots the norm?? thanks for any info, and if a single shot is not a handicap, a 30-30 or 45-70 should fit the requirments!!!!
I've got to many but never enough!!!! :eek:

Offline 45/70fan

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 09:47:24 AM »
I have shot several deer while on drives. The "standers" usually get the shot, but I have gotten them while "driving" When on stand I have found a loud toy whistle will sometimes stop them long enough to get a shot. A word of advice in thick woods, pick an opening and time it for the deer to run thru, trying to swing on em usually results in a dead tree.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 10:31:25 AM »
I've hunted deer and elk for the last 23yrs with a hammer gun, have never had the need for a quick follow up shot nor have I missed an opportunity because of the gun. I wouldn't hesitate to take a gun I am familiar with and can use it well. Shoot it a lot from field positions and you can be quite good with it. There's an old saying, beware of the man with one gun....or something to that effect......and for good reason, he's usually good with it! :wink:

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 12:20:11 PM »
buck how many shots does it take to kill a deer ???? nuff said. put one where it belongs and its all over , most of the time that second shot is just a fast miss.
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 12:27:41 PM »
I like your optimism.  Usually the only deer I see are on a drive IN THE TRUCK.   LOL  I'm short, so if I am one of the drivers, I don't see much.  But I am really good at makin' lots of noise and gettin' em moving as I HIGH STEP through the heavy cover.  
Like Quick said, PRACTICE-PRACTICE-PRACTICE.  You'll do fine!
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 12:40:54 PM »
I hunt deer by stalking or driving them to my uncle and dad.  I've never got one just camping out.  

I dont feel undergunned with my Handi, whether it be my BC, 45-70, or the kid's 30-30.   ...but I do carry a "New York Reload" just in case in either .357mag, 44mag or 45 LC.  

With the deer I've taken with my Handi's, I've never needed a followup shot.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline RackWrangler

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 06:18:50 PM »
The one shot, one kill theory is a great one, but what if there are three deer that come running out of the woods?  Isn't it your responsibility to your fellow hunters (who are tying to fill their freezer also) to try and get as many as possible while making a clean kill?  I love my 308 Survivor, but when I am the "post-man", I always use my Savage 110 in 7mm Mag.  

Being a bolt gun, it is much easier to cycle and get a second, or possibly third deer.  I havn't taken any more than 2 deer on a single drive, but if I had my single shot, I'm not sure I would have had a chance to drop the second one.  I was a "pusher" on a hunt in central WI six years ago when my father dropped 4 with 5 shots from his Marlin 30-30.  I don't see that happening with a single-shot. :o

I'm not going to get into the argument about some people being able to reload their single just as fast as others can cycle a bolt.  I am just saying that for me, if there is a good possibility of a second kill, I want my bolt gun in my hands. :D
:lol: Life's too short to not enjoy every minute :lol:

Offline harvester

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 01:20:20 AM »
though multiple deer might be a concern for some, i doubt its even a consideration for most.

furthermore, there are legal issues in some states with regards to "party hunting", or shooting deer and having others tag it.  in michigan, its illegal.

(for the record, i'd like to see michigan allow party hunts.  as long as all the deer shot are tagged, it makes no difference to me who shot them..)

as for driving with single shots - doesn't bother me at all.  90% of the time i've not had a chance for a decent second shot anyway.

if the guys sitting are set up properly, they'll be at a natural habitat break that allows or forces the deer to stop up for a decent shot.

Offline jbtazgrabber

• Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
jj
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 03:09:32 AM »
been hunting with h&rs over 25 yrs now.....been using in drives that long......i hold extra bullets in a butt stock holder on stock,but when i might need a quick follow up shot i put a shell in my left hand so i dont have to dig it out...can make a double in dove season <sometimes.>in heavy cover i use open sighted guns its faster  shooting...i carry 2 guns most of time a open sighted short barrel huntsman for drives,and a scoped one for a little better shot placment in cover.....but if a buck and doe come out together buck dies first then reach for the other gun a try doe........hasnt worked yet but ill keep trying....jb

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 04:33:55 AM »
RackWrangler,

Thats illegal here in PA.  Even if you have your antlered tag and a handful of antlerless(bonus) tags, you have to tag your kill before you can take another.  Also, the person that creates the mortal shot is the person the game belongs to.  Cant kill one then use someone else's tag.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2006, 04:59:37 AM »
If one is concerned about getting off a second or third shot, then one should carry a pump or semi-auto.  They are the fastest in most hands.  But those oppertunties seldom present themselves.  

Either gun mentioned would do just fine.  Both are proven deer killers.  The only concideration is which one do you shoot best.  Usually one will feel better and shoulder better than the other, that's the one to use.  They may look just alike, but minor differances in weight and balance will make a big differance in how they feel to someone.  Those minor differances can mean a hit or miss, so chose the one that feels best and you shoot best.  A person will generally shoot the one that feels best better, because of the self confidence it instills in ones shooting.  So try them out an make your own decision, both are good, but one will feel better..
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline mitchell

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 05:01:40 AM »
knight0334 same in ohio but if i had two tags and i saw two deer take a  guess how many would be dead?

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 06:26:38 AM »
Shooting a deer or other animal and having someone else tag it or take it as their kill is also illegal in Mass and Maine. Not only is it illegal it is unethical and something we should all be against, We as hunters and sportsmen have to keep our own ranks honest, there are enough people out there that don't like hunting anyway and slob hunters are to spoken to and corrected by those of us ourselves that are strong enough and willing to do the right thing. It is the future of our sport that hangs in the balance. A "person" that had no respect for the laws or no ethics would not last long at my camp or any camp I frequent. He would be spoken to and would not invited back if he did not learn from his transgressions. It has been said that laws are what we follow when others are around and ethics dictate what we do when we are alone. For the future of the individual, the deer herds, and our sport, I hope all here do what is lawfully and ethically correct. Would it be worth losing your hunting license and perhaps your gun(s) and getting a criminal record to shoot one illegal deer? Think of the harm it would do to all of us and the sport of hunting to see that news on TV, "HUNTER arrested for shooting too many deer". We have all seen stories like that and cringe at the news characterizing criminals and "slob hunters" as true hunters and sportsmen, a true sportsman and hunter would not do those things, they are stewards of the land and wild animals....<><.... :grin:

Sorry for the long post, but we must be careful of losing what we have, many want to stop hunting and it is a precarious balance of nature and hunting. It just takes a few to ruin it for all of us. We MUST be vigilant and police ourselves or others will do it, ethics in the field will do more than laws, we must, must, do the right thing if hunting as a sport, and as we know it, is to survive....Carry on buddies, it's all up to you as individuals now, to know and to do whats right, when you are alone in the woods as well as when there is a warden standing next to you....it all of our futures  riding on what you do and what kind of a person you are.....another old saying, but a great one,  "To thine own self be true..."
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline hunterwinco

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 06:27:58 AM »
Maine is the same a OH and PA.  We are allowed 1 deer during our 30 day season.  You are allowed to hunt 3 guys, 1 sitting 2 walking NO HOOTING and HOLLERING like the old days.  You even have to be careful if there is a group of guys in the same area NOT driving...the wardens will give you a hard time.  I'm going to use my 30-30 handi next year still hunting.  I just ordered a peep sight from Midway last night.  I think it will make a cool brush/carry gun.  I tend to use my .270 MkII when hunting from my tree stands.

Offline RackWrangler

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2006, 06:42:45 AM »
Here in Wisconsin the law is a bit different.

The 2005 Deer Hunting Regulations state:

"Group Hunting:
It is illegal to kill game for another person EXCEPT that during a
deer firearm season.  Any member of a group deer hunting party may kill a deer
for another member of the party if they are all licensed and are all hunting with
firearms. Members of a group deer hunting party should also agree in advance that a
tag holder is willing to use their tag on a deer killed by another member of the party."

No where does it mention that a person may not shoot multiple deer at a time.  It just states:  "You must validate the appropriate deer carcass tag immediately upon killing and
before field dressing or moving the deer."

Here's the link for anyone interested (page 18 for the group hunt, and 23 for tagging ): http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/wildlife/regs/Deer05.pdf

I didn't realize that other states had laws prohibiting someone from shooting a deer for another hunter. :oops:

Thanks, :D
RackWrangler
:lol: Life's too short to not enjoy every minute :lol:

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2006, 06:49:24 AM »
Washington also prohibits shooting a game animal for another person. We are only allowed one animal a year with exceptions for limited special permit hunts in some areas. The state did give in to "party" fishing though for salmon fishing at the mouth of the Columbia, thought I'd never see that.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline harvester

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2006, 06:58:41 AM »
Quote from: MSP Ret
Shooting a deer or other animal and having someone else tag it or take it as their kill is also illegal in Mass and Maine. Not only is it illegal it is unethical and something we should all be against, We as hunters and sportsmen have to keep our own ranks honest, there are enough people out there that don't like hunting anyway and slob hunters are to spoken to and corrected by those of us ourselves that are strong enough and willing to do the right thing. It is the future of our sport that hangs in the balance. A "person" that had no respect for the laws or no ethics would not last long at my camp or any camp I frequent. He would be spoken to and would not invited back if he did not learn from his transgressions. It has been said that laws are what we follow when others are around and ethics dictate what we do when we are alone. For the future of the individual, the deer herds, and our sport, I hope all here do what is lawfully and ethically correct. Would it be worth losing your hunting license and perhaps your gun(s) and getting a criminal record to shoot one illegal deer? Think of the harm it would do to all of us and the sport of hunting to see that news on TV, "HUNTER arrested for shooting too many deer". We have all seen stories like that and cringe at the news characterizing criminals and "slob hunters" as true hunters and sportsmen, a true sportsman and hunter would not do those things, they are stewards of the land and wild animals....<><.... :grin:

sure, if its illegal, don't do it, period.  but if its legal, what makes it unethical? for example, in Alabama, where party hunting is legal (if i remember correctly).  say 5 guys go out hunting, 3 have tags.  three deer get shot and 3 tags get used.  what's unethical about that?

now, i do have a problem with someone buying a tag that has no intention of hunting.  say a guy tags a deer, then uses his wife's tag, who never hunts.  yeah, that's unethical.  but as long as party hunting is legal where you hunt, and the tags that are used belong to guys hunting that day, i have no problem with it.

Offline mitchell

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2006, 09:31:23 AM »
for the record what I was talking about is the tag rules. the rule is (in Ohio ) you can shot one deer put your temporary tag on it and then shot another. now for me if I saw two deer and had two tags and two bullets I would kill them both and tag them both and write them out as five minutes apart. And I really don’t think that will send anybody to hell, if I’m paying  $25 a tag for them I’ll kill them when ever I get the chance

Offline ogo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2006, 09:42:34 AM »
mitchell, that is a honest answer, here in Pa the law is allmost the same. And yes, i would do the same        ogo*********

Offline mitchell

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2006, 09:47:34 AM »
Quote from: harvester

in Alabama, where party hunting is legal (if i remember correctly).  say 5 guys go out hunting, 3 have tags.  three deer get shot and 3 tags get used.  what's unethical about that?

harvester, what if those five guys get separated and they all each shoot one deer now you have 5 dead deer and only 3 tags for them

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2006, 10:01:05 AM »
Hello Harvester, nice to have your input. In answer to this question you asked:  "if its illegal, don't do it, period. but if its legal, what makes it unethical?". The answer is nothing makes it unethical. Ethics and laws are closely intertwined, laws are followed because they are the law, ethics are followed because it is right. If it's OK under the law where you hunt, then I believe it to be ethical....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2006, 10:36:08 AM »
Mitchell Wrote:
harvester, what if those five guys get separated and they all each shoot one deer now you have 5 dead deer and only 3 tags for them.

Thats an easy one... just go to the sports shop and get another bonus tag for $10.00 or 10 tags for $100. You think they would give you a break on group buy though.

All kidding aside the State of Wisconsin wants deer harvested. Not easy to get on private land anymore either, so now they had and may have again this comming season EAB or also known as Earn A Buck. You need to take a doe before you can harvest a buck.  Sounds fine and dandy, but say you don't get a doe bow hunting and gun hunting comes along and opening morning the big boy walks by you better have taken a doe first. Imagine being a kid and your first day hunting for the first time in  your life and Mr big walks by...... I think you get the picture.  Wisconsin has deer you bet and they want us to stack em up like cord wood.

John

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2006, 03:04:12 PM »
I shot a 200 lb.+ eight point buck in 2005 near Haliburton Ontario with my Remington 700 in .257 Roberts( 100gr. Nosler Partition). The first two shots at 50 yards were lung shots and the deer hardly flinched(shots confirmed after skinning). I thought I had missed both times. On the third shot the deer 'noticed' it was hit and took off. It collapsed after travelling 50 yards. All three shots were broadside.

I don't know what I would have done if I had had a single shot rifle. Remember, that at the moment of shooting the shooter is pretty excited. To my may of thinking a repeater or semi-auto is much more practical for deer hunting because you rarely have the time to fumble around and reload a single shot even if you are calm and cool. Also, you never know when you're going to need  that second shot(or think you need one).

Having said that I still would like a Handi Ultra in 7mm-08. Ideal for deer if that's the way your're inclined.

McLernon

Offline Bamaflyer

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2006, 10:13:23 AM »
Mitchell & Harvester,

I Don't mean to sound like a smart A but just to clear up something. In Alabama you are allowed two deer per day only one of which can be an antlered deer. You can kill two does or a doe and a buck a day on each day of the season. The season runs from Oct. 15 to Nov. 19 (bow season) then from Nov.19 through Jan 31 (gun season). and by the way Alabama does not have tags. It does have very stiff penalites for abusing very libral bag limits. Didn't mean to sound like a **** just thought you fellows would like to know.

Bamaflyer

Offline mitchell

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2006, 12:06:28 PM »
Quote from: Bamaflyer
from Nov.19 through Jan 31 (gun season). and by the way Alabama does not have tags.

stop rubbing it in!!!!!

i took no offence whatsoever Bamaflyer, no worries. i was just telling how its done in ohio , and talking about having ethics while bending the laws.

Offline MnMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2006, 04:43:57 PM »
Ethics aside, I use a pistol on drives. The shots in my neck of the woods are short and quick. I use either a 10mm semi auto or a 45WM Contender. Both have fiber open sights. I did use a rifle when I first started driving, but could never get on target  quick enough.

mike
Mike Ellestad

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2006, 05:13:05 PM »
Two deer per day??? What do you do with all the deer you shoot?

We have a two week deer season for rifles in mid to northern Ontario. You can shoot ONE deer. If you've drawn a doe tag you can shoot a doe otherwise it must be a buck with antlers at least three inches long. If you happen to shoot a spike buck with spikes shorter than three inches better have a doe tag to put one her or else!!

Some WMU's offer a second tag for $35.00 in areas where it's crawling with deer. But the total number of deer you can bag is never more than two for the combined seasons of rifle, four day restricted shotgun and extended bow season.

Some WMU's could definitely stand larger bag limits but I'm not sure what I would ever do with more than one or two deer.

McLernon

Offline harvester

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2006, 12:58:58 AM »
Quote from: mitchell

in Alabama, where party hunting is legal (if i remember correctly).  say 5 guys go out hunting, 3 have tags.  three deer get shot and 3 tags get used.  what's unethical about that?

harvester, what if those five guys get separated and they all each shoot one deer now you have 5 dead deer and only 3 tags for them

well, then those guys are sh** out of luck.  that would be plain illegal.  the law makes no provisions for communicating kills to other members of the party - its the sole responsibility of each hunter.  

our hunting party rarely drives deer.  however, one thing we do like to do is hunt standing corn.  2-3 guys in a 60, 80, 100 acre corn field can take hours to hunt, when done properly.  shot paths are predefined, travel paths by hunters are predefined, etc.  fortunately, technology saves the day - each of us wears an earbud with a frs/gmrs radio, and if a shot is fired, we can communicate quickly.  this is vital as well, because when a hunter shoots, he may need to track outside of his pre-defined lane.  we hear a shot, and all stop, and wait to establish communication.

without radios?  not sure how a party would communicate a kill.  maybe a quick blast on a air horn.  or by waving an piece of orange clothing, if all hunters are visible.  either way, its their responsibility.

Offline mitchell

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2006, 07:34:00 AM »

well, then those guys are sh** out of luck.  that would be plain illegal.  .

that was my point party hunting can get you in trouble real quick if your nor careful

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2006, 10:44:25 AM »
OK, enough is enough, I have tried to be civil and polite. Guys that just want dead deer hunt in groups and conduct deer drives. I know it is a historical way to hunt in many areas but it is frowned upon and mostly illegal where I hunt so that is where my view is coming from. If it's legal where yoiu are and you do it by the law thats fine with me and I will back you 100%.  Deer KILLERS drive deer with large groups of people thrashing and banging through the woods to push the deer to others to KILL. Hunters HUNT and go one on one with the gane as sportsmen have done for eons. And as far as shooting some one elses deer, if's it's not legal without another tag in your pocket NOW or a "gift" deer is not legal where you HUNT, don't try to justify and rationalize your CRIME by explaining that you will get another tag in a little while anyway. There are laws we all must follow, they change throughout our areas, thats fine, follow the ones you have where you are and don't try to justify your indescrestions with illogical statements. As I said enough is enough, we either obey the law as it is we are or we don't, and if we don't, we are ciminals and I for one hope any that anyone who knowingly breaks the laws we have to preserve our great sport of hunting gets CAUGHT and punished. We as hunters and sportsmen don't need these bozo's runinig it for the rest of us!!!....<><.... :grin: