Author Topic: Hi, newbie with questions, looking into CHL and I are lost!  (Read 955 times)

Offline detritus

• Trade Count: (0)
Hi, newbie with questions, looking into CHL and I are lost!
« on: March 17, 2003, 09:34:04 PM »
greetings to all.

reacently My wife and I decided that as soon as we can afford to (i'm unemployed at the moment and funds are tight) we are BOTH going to take the Texas CHL course.   thing is as i understand it to get teh license the gun holster combo carried must be proven to be "legally concealed" (ie not visable to joe public so as to avoid "panic"  :roll:  ).  well  all i know about holsters was learned through and has to do with the my time shooting Cowboy action. and therefore is USELESS  :|

so my fellow shooters i need advice on what, how, and WITH what, in regards to concealing a full sized 1911 (my wife and i are both of a body frame size that will allow this, though a ruger P-97 may be used instead)  

i KNOW for a fact that true concealment will involve an at least a change to the types of shirts adn so on i wear.  and that we both need to get pants that are a little bit larger than normal to facilitate an IWB holster.

i HAVE looked around some and like the looks of the Holsters from Tucker Gunleather. (Tucker first caught my eye b/c i live near Houston, and i like to support local business, plus local gunshop is going to start carrying Tucker again)

ok time to flood the newbie with "too much info"   :mrgreen: lol .   i'm all ears guys, and any and all information and advice is welcome and appreciated.

thank you

Offline Alice Cooper

• Avid Poster
Hi, newbie with questions, looking into CHL
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2003, 03:08:14 PM »
i use a galco "yaqui slide" for my glock 21,and wear a vest or pullover jacket over it.the slide has the advantage of not looking like a holster if you need to lock your weapon in the car, such as going into a federal building, etc.to carry full-size comfortably requires a change and re-evaluation of your wardrobe.that said, i frequently carry a j frame smith fitted with "barami hip grips"that has a built in panel to hook over the belt when you slide it in your waistband.i can carry this way, even in walmart, with  no vest, and just a little of the black grip shows, and with a passing glance it resembles a cell phone, or pager,or someother thing on the belt.ok, what was the question?gaaaaaa......
don't fry bacon naked!

Offline jhm

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2003, 03:48:27 PM »
Most of the handguns I cary concelled are carried in don hume open top fited iwb models to fit the weapon, I like them, when I get a new handgun I get the holster to match it has worked for me for years. :D   JIM

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Concealment holsters
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2003, 10:33:09 AM »
Detritus:  I hate to say this ol Buddy, but the notion of adding holster leather to the size of the pistol you're packin' doesn't always lend to the concept of 'concealment.

I have tried all sorts of different holsters from different manufacturers and custom makers over the past 35 years and have found almost all of them to be wanting in some regard, either the ability to draw quickly, the ability to conceal the additional bulk, or the tendency to add a 'profile'.

About the best holster I've ever had for a 1911 is the very first inside the pants holster that Paris Theodore ever made for that pistol.  He made it up for me in his shop in NYC just before I shipped out to RVN back in the 60's.  Ken Null of Null Holsters still makes that design.  I still have that holster but it is not one that gives up the pistol easily.  It's main benefit was a secure 'hold' on the piece to keep it from slippin' and slidin' all around and to keep it concealed so nobody would know I was carrying.

Since that time I have determined that:  (1) I am not a Police Officer and have no right or authority to go chasing anyone around when I'm carrying a pistol in my belt , so I do not need the security of a holster for that purpose and (2)  all my concealable handguns conceal better when I just stuff them into my belt, and (3) I avoid bad situations like the plague so that I minimize the need to acccess the thing.  

I have found that, at least for my waist and butt and I'm not all that slim but pretty 'flat', that holsters don't serve me well at all.   Whether I'm wearing dress slacks or a suit, or just jeans, I can stuff the dang thing right into my waistband and conceal it very, very well.  

I know this is going to get me some heat from the folks who will tell you that everybody, especially the Police, believe that if you carry but don't use a holster, you be a bad guy, or at least are looked upon as being a bad guy.  But, there have been noted Police Officers all throughout this (past) century that carried their handguns just that way.  And, in addition, if an Officer ever needs to check the validity of your permit, I firmly believe that once he sees you are not 'holstered', it won't matter to he/she, as they will know you are 'legal'.

I'm not certain what the laws are in Texas, except that it has to be 'concealed'.  I don't think the laws mandate a holster for that purpose.  Most recently, one very 'nice' Lady I taught to shoot found that the 'fit' of her jeans and her preferences for coats or jackets didn't lend well to concealment holsters.  We spent hours trying a bunch of them one weekend at a couple of gunshops and more time at guns shows trying the same thing.  She found it easier and more comfortable, and had more confidence in her ability to access that firearm just stuffing it into her belt.  I enjoyed that exercise with her, until she got wise to me and asked me to 'hold the target'.  

Hope this helps.  Mikey.

Offline jhm

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2003, 11:52:58 AM »
Mikey:  About 35 yrs. ago I saw a Detroit Det. show me the neteast homemade/cheapest holster I ever saw and it was made out of a shoe string and he said he carried his off duty revolver all the tome with it I wish I could show it to you but I cant you will just have to emagine the string tied into a circle then looped thru your belt loops then then barrel goes down thru the other end of the loop and it gets tucked into your pants and mean old Mr. gravity does the rest. :D   JIM

Offline Vern Humphrey

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2003, 02:19:11 PM »
I've carried a full-size M1911 for years, even in the hottest weather.  I designed and made my own IWB holster.

The key is a wide, flat design that conforms to the body and a leather shield behind the grip that allows you to wear under a T-shirt and keeps the gun out of contact with the skin.  This shield is also a handy place to put a "button" or leather cam that contacts the safety lever and keeps it engaged, no matter how you bend, move or brush up against things.

Go to http://paul.desertskyone.com/gunstuff.html
and scroll about 2/3 of the way down the page to "instructons for making Vern's holster."

Offline xnmr53

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2003, 06:15:50 PM »
detritus,

Take a look at Milt Spark's VMII. I have carried a full-sized 1911 for several years in one. I'm a large guy and it conceals easily under a light vest, or with the clips, even under a bloused shirt. Indeed with the shirt, the biggest problem is what to do with the spare magazines.

http://www.miltsparks.com/  :D

Offline Matt in AK

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2003, 08:20:16 PM »
I've carried my 1911 for several years now in a yaqui slide by Dillon Gunleather that I bought through Dillon's Blue Press catalog.  Inexpensive, secure, nice looking, and it works.
Isaiah 6:8