Author Topic: Is it illegal to ship a gun directly to a buyer ?  (Read 473 times)

Offline outdoorman

• Trade Count: (0)
Is it illegal to ship a gun directly to a buyer ?
« on: February 02, 2006, 01:00:17 PM »
I always thought that a private individual could not ship a gun directly to a private individual.  But I just read on an on-line auction for a rifle stating that the seller would ship the gun directly to buyer( without using a ffl dealer).  This is not a C&R weapon.

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
Is it illegal to ship a gun directly to a b
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 01:38:50 PM »
I don't know if it's legal or not, but I do think that selling and shipping a firearm to someone that you don't know is like walking way out on a limb and placing your head on the chopping block there.

When you involve an FFL holder in the transfer, the transfer goes into his records and it becomes his responsibility to ensure that the purchaser is legit and is legally entitled to own a firearm.

Example: Felon Joe Diddly buys your gun via auction.  You receive payment and send him the firearm.  Upon receipt he loads up and heads for the local post office to settle a dispute with the post master about his Prozac/Lithium prescription not coming in on time.  Lots of dead people result.  What happens?  Who's at fault?  Even if the DA takes pity and doesn't charge you with transferring a firearm to felon, you have the victims family lining up to sue you for..... I forget what it's called in civil court... same thing that OJ was sued for after the DA fumbled the ball in that case.

Bad Juju in general.
Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 01:55:22 PM »
Transfer of ownership to an individual in another state requires the firearm to be received by an FFL. Most questions concerning us mortals(non-FFL) and firearms transactions can be found at the ATF FAQ web site..

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 05:54:18 PM »
The online auction site info is WRONG. Read the mandatory wording I require on all firearms transactions for my classifieds. Firearms MUST be shipped FFL to FFL or sold face to face in state WHEN and WHERE legal.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!