Author Topic: kahr vs kel-tec  (Read 2269 times)

Offline Ghostrider_23

• Trade Count: (0)
kahr vs kel-tec
« on: February 02, 2006, 01:43:14 PM »
:grin: Ok the gun show is coming up and this forum has been great with the advise everyone gives. I thank you very much :-)  I have narrowed it down to going with a 9 mm but here is where I need some help :? I like the kahr because it is of better quality but holds less rounds then that of the kel-tec P-11 which holds more. Both are the same weight and size (very close to call the same) I just don't know about kel-tec being used as a primary form of defense. Kel-tec does have a life toime warrenty. I just don't know :oops: can anyone HELP PLEASE

Offline K.K.

• Avid Poster
kahr vs kel-tec
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 02:33:20 PM »
In my humble opinion, I thinkt that the Kahr is a much higher quality gun than the Kel-Tec.  The Kel-Tecs are pretty cool because they are flat and light expecially the .32 and .380s.  The Kahr incorporates better materials, better triggers, and are ver reliable,  and my wife's shoots very nicly. The Kel-Tecs I've shot were farily reliable asell, but the triggers left much to be desired.  The cops I shoot with at my gun club like the Kel-Tecs, but only for a back-up piece.  I guess because they are more likely to carry the lighter gun on a daily basis.  If weight and size are a wash for you, I'd go with the Kahr.  But, again, it's only my opinion.

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
kahr vs kel-tec
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 02:41:06 PM »
Can't speak to the Kahr. Never had or shot one, but I do have my second kel Tec P11. It is certainly not as well finished as the Kahr, but both mine have been 100% reliable with FMJ and hollowpoints. I have no concerns about carrying it. The trigger does take some getting used to. Inexpensive, ugly, and totally reliable.
Romans 8:38,39

DELETED

kahr vs kel-tec
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 04:33:51 AM »
DELETED

Offline Ocsamschainsaw

• http://www.myspace.com/tsm002
kahr vs kel-tec
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 12:47:28 PM »
I enjoy my p11 greatly...
in about as much size as the Kahr, and at a MUCH reduced price, you not only get a lifetime warranty with a company that, at least in my experience is VERY helpful but also a carry pistol that has a vast number of aftermarket accessories offered by the factory, 12+1 rounds of 9mm+p (with the post 1994 magazines; kel tec sells them from the factory or you can find them online at various places, these fit FLUSH, not like the 12 round S&w 69 series mags that will ALSO fit in addition to the 59 series) capacity (up to 30 rounds if you want to use the higher capacity S&W 59 series magazines it is compatible with), and is easily convertible to .40 or .357 sig caliber with factory conversion kits..though...I've shot the p40 before and it was about the limit of what I can take, recoil wise, I'm not sure of the wisdom of shooting the .357 sig out of such a small, lightweight gun.
Many people have their kel-tecs jam with wider hollowpoints like federals-if this happens, you can simply do what people have been doing on 1911's for decades and polish up the feed ramps, or the factory will simply do it for you.
People deride the kel tec all the time because the feed ramp doesn't usually come from the factory polished, but..
I seem to recall hanging around the local gun shops when I was younger and seeing people take their 1911 handguns in all the time to have the feed ramp polished, and no one ever says a WORD against that series of handguns.
As a primary self defense weapon, I would think that EITHER would be a good choice if carrying concealed is the option given to you. My take?
Given the price difference between the two guns, you could get a kel tec and a huge amount of ammunition of different makes to A: get used to shooting such a compact pistol accurately and B: figure out what type of ammunition you'd like for concealed carry. That extra practice ammo you'll be able to purchase with the money left over from the kel tec may be the most valuable thing you ever invest in- a high dollar gun means approximately jack if you get a nice bang and a miss.
Just my .02
WECSOG Madness-Hide Your Dremels!

Offline sjones

kahr vs kel-tec
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 02:28:50 PM »
I have a kel-tec that I've had for several years.It is totaly reliable.I shoot handloaded 125 grain hollow points loaded pretty hot,to the +p range.It handles them fine.The trigger is a litle hard and takes some getting use to,but once you do,it works fine.I can feel it when it gets ready to fire so I can take it to that point and then just a a hair more and it will trip.Its not the prettiest but it works and thats what I want it for.sj

Offline nrb

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
did anyone mention striker vs hammer ??
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 01:17:02 AM »
What happens when a round does not fire - in a Kahr - in a Kel-tec ??
After the first trigger pull and you get a click, can you pull the trigger again to fire the round?
best,            nrb

Offline Savage

kahr vs kel-tec
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 08:30:16 AM »
Don't know for sure about the Kahr, but the P-11 is a true DA with second strike capability.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Ka6otm

• Avid Poster
kahr vs kel-tec
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2006, 05:14:11 AM »
Nope, the Kahr doesn't have second strike capability.

Ka6otm

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
kahr vs kel-tec
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2006, 09:11:42 AM »
Kel-Tec has come out with a new 9mm as well, the PF9...It is a cross between the P3AT and the P11
http://www.kel-tec.com/pf9.html
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Dee

kahr vs kel-tec
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 06:13:31 PM »
Have carried and shot many rounds thru both as backups. The polymer framed kel-tec's usually have a pretty good trigger. The difference? You can buy two Kel-Tec's for the price of one Kahr. :wink:
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline lefthanded

kahr vs kel-tec
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2006, 12:20:51 PM »
I think my Kahr  PM9 is the best backup gun I have ever carried.  It is accurate, easy to conceal in my pants pocket and holds more ammo than the S&W J frames I carried for years.  Never owned a Kel Tec, but +1 for the Kahr

Offline slink

• Avid Poster
If you need more than 7 rds, you need more than a pistol
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2006, 09:08:12 AM »
especially a pocket pistol. You are either up against way too many attackers, or you are missing too much. A double stack mag will be of no help, and all it does is create a concealment problem, especially in the pocket. The P11's frame is held togther (alloy upper frame, polymer lower frame) with 3 little pins. You LIKE that idea?

I have  a million draws, drysnaps, and 1/4 million+ live rds thru SA autoloaders, so the DAO trigger pull is an abomination to me.  However, most guy's skill level is so low, the DA trigger pull doesn't handicap them much, if at all.

The Kahr is the better gun, by far, but its trigger pull aint much better, even the "elite" version of it.  Too bad so few appreciate the advantages of a cocked and locked SA auto, in a pocket gun. There will never be enough of a percieved market for such a gun to make anyone want to offer it for commercial sale.

Guys like me have to have our pocket autos custom made. Like the LaFrance "Nova" version of the Star BM, or the  Laughridge conversion on the micro-alloy versions of the 1911.  With Bill's lockwork, disengaging of the safety flings the hammer back to its fully cocked position, but when the safety is engaged, the hammer is down.  With a chopped grip safety tang and top rear of slide (ala Detonics) and a Clark Meltdown of the rest of the guns' parts, a micro 1911 can weigh a mere 19 ozs, and be 6.3" long, ready to fire.  That is the same wt and size as a steel framed .38 chief's snubby. Yes, our pocket guns run close to $2000 in cost, but at least we can actually carry them, unlike the $2000+ variants of the 1911 that are still just as big and heavy as the original.
Deactivated 04-22-06 for rules violations after repeated warnings.

Offline olsenfin

kahr vs kel-tec
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2006, 03:32:18 PM »
I had a Kel-Tek P-11 and traded it in for a Kahr P-9 (with cash added, of course).  The Kel-Tek's trigger travel was just too LOOONG for me.  By contrast, the Kahr's trigger is like butter.  I can shoot groups MUCH smaller with it, especially in rapid fire.

The lack of double-strike capability of the Kahr doesn't bother me, as I've put almost a thousand rounds through mine with ZERO ignition failures.

Sure, I'd like to have 10 rounds in the mag instead of 7, but, with the P-9, I have far more confidence that I can actually put the shots where they need to go.

And that, in my judgement, is the bottom line.

Offline steveb3006

• Reload'n And Levergun'n
kahr vs kel-tec
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 09:29:24 AM »
I have the Kel-Tec P3AT and it is HIGHLY concealable and accurate enough for its intended purpose. Up close and personal. With the P3AT there is no reason you should ever be caught unarmed. Its not a 45 no, but in the heat of the summer wearing light shorts or  light clothing its nice. There have been many times I ALMOST forget im carrying it......Steve

Its a helluva thing killin a man,you take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have
                                        ***CLINT EASTWOOD***

www.reloadingandlevergunning.blogspot.com