Author Topic: Well, I finally gave up  (Read 880 times)

Offline Ambushhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Well, I finally gave up
« on: February 03, 2006, 09:30:32 AM »
I posted back in november about trying to replace the broken transfer bar in my son's 20 ga.  I took it apart (easy), but trying to put back together :shock: .  I guess I don't have the aptitude I though I had.  Long story short, my smithy has loads of experience with the SB receiver and will reconstruct it for me at minimal cost.  On the plus side, I'll be picking up my new Sportster M2 when I'm there!! :wink:   Quick, again thanks for the reply.  Mark
NJCSD, ANJRPC, NRA
http://www.njcsd.org/

Offline Ambushhunter

• Avid Poster
Re: Well, I finally gave up
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 10:01:05 AM »
Look at the date on my original post.  I just got that shotgun receiver back!!!  I will never use that smith again if he was the last smith on earth.  A whole year and two weeks to get that little job done.  I had to almost threaten him to get my receiver back.  I really thought he lost it.  I have NO idea why it took him so long.  At least lil' ambush finally got his shotgun back.  I gave it to him because I didn't want to wait for the factory....what a mistake.  On the plus side, he didn't charge me.
NJCSD, ANJRPC, NRA

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 10:12:22 AM »
Ambushhunter you will never have to use that gunsmith again, for one thing he fixed it (I hope) and for another thing if it ever breaks again since you have some difficulty with replacing the parts just post here and I for one will volunteer to replace the broken parts for you if you send the good parts with the broken piece. There may be someone closer or more expierneced but I have put a reciever back together once and am sure I could do it again. I am happy for Little Ambush and am sure you and he will have many great times with that gun, finally!!!!....<><.... :)

just as an aside, I think the factory would have done it for free for you........
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 10:52:30 AM »
Man over a year to put back together a broken transfer bar and putting it back together!!! I agree with Andy, if you ever need it done one of us can help ya out. Would be a little costly to ship the Receiver back and forth with transfers and all, and would probably be easier to send it back to the factory :P.............anyway at least he got his gun and there was no charge ;D

Have fun
-Aaron

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 11:05:25 AM »
Aaron and guys, I am not sure about the FFL transfer thing just to do a repair or parts replacement on it, someone else would have to make a ruling on that. I do know you can send it back and forth to a gunsmtih or the factory yourself for repair or service without the expense of going through an FFL. You are right,  if FFL's were involved just to replace a part it would cost more than the whol;e gun just to send and recieve it!!! Pay an FFL to send it, pay an FFL to recieve it, do the free repair, pay an FFL to send it back and finally pay another FFL for the owner to get it back. If that were ture than sending it back to the factory for a free repair would be the way to go. The offer still stands for me to fix it for free next time if the shipping to and from for repair is OK and legal though....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 12:59:36 PM »
Aaron and guys, I am not sure about the FFL transfer thing just to do a repair or parts replacement on it, someone else would have to make a ruling on that. I do know you can send it back and forth to a gunsmtih or the factory yourself for repair or service without the expense of going through an FFL. ...........

You know I believe your right. From the owner to the factory is perfectly legal, and I believe the smith also. Good call :)

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 01:44:03 PM »
Guys

A private person may ship a firearm to a licensed gun smith or the factory for repair , and as the frame has the ser. number on it , its classed as a firearm even with out the barrel . so  if it is going to be sent to anyone else it must go the FFL route .  :(

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 02:01:26 PM »
So I guess to remain legal it might be best to ship it to the factory for free repair....<><.... :)

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 06:47:17 PM »
You can also send a "firearm" to a business like Second Skin to get camo dipped or to Black Ice for a teflon coating without a FFL, I think. But to a private person, I pretty sure you would need the FFL.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Ambushhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 05:02:52 AM »
Thanks for the replies and MSPRet, thanks for the offer too!  I think at the time we broke the transfer bar at the skeet range, I did look into sending it to one of the forum members here for a fix.  It might have been Quick.  I believe we figured out at the time, yes, indeed it would have to have gone through a class 1 dealer.  That's why I decided to use the local smithy. If there is a next time, I'll just send it to the factory.  And yes lil' ambush was real happy to get it back, we shot at the range last weekend.  We usually take a couple shotguns to shoot some skeet after we shoot our .22's and AR's!!  Thanks again guys.
NJCSD, ANJRPC, NRA