Author Topic: Heed Roosevelt on English language  (Read 534 times)

Offline rockbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
Heed Roosevelt on English language
« on: February 04, 2006, 08:26:23 AM »
Perhaps it is time for us all to be reminded of what a great American, decorated souldier and former president said concerning the matter of immigrants speaking English.

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace or orgin.

But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in the very fact an American, and nothing but an American.  There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all.

We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile.  We have no room for but one language here, and that is the English language, and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt, 1907

As an after thought, Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a burglar an un-invited house guest.  Illegal aliens are stealing from, not benifiting America.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 08:35:20 AM »
Unfortunately they just don't make Presidents like that anymore.  They are for the most part bread to be spineless these days.  And if they do show some charactor and a hint of backbone (like Bush) the Liberals are sure to try to squash them.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 08:49:17 AM »
My sentaments exactually!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 09:33:29 AM »
:( Sad but the citizens of Texas pushed Bush for eight years while he was Gov. to do something about the open door on the southern border of Texas, he did nothing.  Since being elected president he has done nothing, matter of fact, as a result of his relationship with Vincite Fox, the number  of illegals crossing the border has increased.

His lack of action on this impoortant issue has possibly placed us in harms way again.  We have no way of knowing how many muslins have assumed a spanish name and blended in with the mexicans that come across illegaly.  It is estimated that just along the Arizona border alone, an estimated 10,000 terorist passed into this country last year.  If this is true, how many crossed into the other border states?

I don't care what party he is from, we need a president with a solid backbone that will take this country back, "carry a big stick" and regain the respect America experienced in the past.  As I said before, it is sad when we select a Miss America from a list of 54 beautiful young women, but choose a president from the lesser of two evils. :roll:

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 10:29:15 AM »
Those that enter this country through our porous borders illegally don`t
    have to learn the ENGLISH language because leaning Mickey-D speak
    only takes a few minutes plus on the border it`s in spanish. Go figure.
   English may go the way of the buffalo.  Better get your  spanish tapes.
   I just go to my local  Wal-Mart. Two trips to the sporting goods section and i`m already speaking spanish well enough to order a burger and fries at the local Mickey-D`s.  :D
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline Shorty

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 02:08:47 PM »
'Not saying that this is really relevant today, but;
1. If TR had his way, the P.I. and Cuba would be speaking English today.
2. California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas were speaking Spanish FIRST!

In the history of human migration, nothing is constant.
  :?

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 01:39:48 PM »
:D TM7.  I could find no evidence that the are related, Jeb's wife is from Guanajuato, Mexico, the same place that Fox is from, but her madien name was Columba Garnica Gallo.  Yours was the first thing I have seen that suggested they may be related.