Author Topic: New barrel fitting  (Read 460 times)

Offline Meadhall

• Trade Count: (0)
New barrel fitting
« on: February 07, 2006, 05:01:25 AM »
I was wanting to get a new barrel for my Handi in .44 mag, but i'm a little fuzzy on something here.  I know if you get a barrel from the factory you have to send in your frame to have it fitted, what what about if you buy a barrel from say, the classified section.  Will they too require factory fitting, or will they fit as is.  Thanks,

Offline bigshooz

• Trade Count: (0)
New barrel fitting
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 05:22:24 AM »
hey meadhall ,asfor your questions ,1 some barrels do not need fitting ,most do you can look in the faqs for more detail on this subject. 2 h&r wont fit used barrels only new stock you buy from them :D
slide it where it fits jam it where it doesnt  :wink:   [/quote]

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
New barrel fitting
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 05:28:38 AM »
If a barrel that you bought privately needs fitted due to a gap, shims made from soda cans work pretty good. If two can shims are too much, use one with shim made from aluminum foil.

if the barrel is too tight and wont lock up, you can take a round file and take a little material out of the "U" of the lug where the cross pin resides.

Its really a simple job to do on your own.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
New barrel fitting
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 05:52:05 AM »
Dunno who it was, but someone asked H&R if they would fit used barrels and was told that they would try, it probably depends on whether the barrel is too tight or too loose. If it's too loose, they won't add shims to make it fit like us shooters would, but they can remove metal to make one fit just as they do on new barrel fittings. It wouldn't hurt to ask them if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. Any good gunsmith should be able to fit barrels, too.

Tim

(866)776-9292      hr1871@hr1871.com
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Lives2hunt

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
New barrel fitting
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 07:29:49 AM »
Glad you asked that question as I have wondered the same myself. :D
Will hunt for food.