Author Topic: Any Ideas??  (Read 2183 times)

Offline Meatball

• Trade Count: (0)
Any Ideas??
« on: February 07, 2006, 09:22:19 AM »
I have liked cannons and mortars since I was a kid. Now that I have discovered this site I have decided that I really want one espically after seeing the beer can mortars that Powder Keg makes. My problem is how do I convince my girlfriend to let me get one. I have tried several arguments with her and no such luck yet. I have tried to explain to her that it would make the house safer (no one would try to break into the home of somebody thay has an actual working cannon  :wink: ). She tried telling me that we don't need one and I told her thats the way I feel about the 2 horses she has (I have never seen her make a face like that before) and tried to tell her that a cannon or mortar would be cheaper to feed that the horses and less to clean up after but still no dice. I am running out of options here. Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Untill I can convincer here differently I guess I'll just have to be happy reading about yours.

Offline kappullen

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Any Ideas??
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 10:11:55 AM »
Meatball,

You may want to do some serious thinking before you take your relationship to the next step.

I'm not Dr Laura, but it sounds like you may be expected to spend a lifetime on mucking out stalls and fixing fences.

That is ok if you really like shoveling popo every night, but could lead to much resentment and problems ($$$$$$$$$) in later life.

Kap

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
Any Ideas??
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 10:51:26 AM »
:-D ..., I have to go with Kap on this one. Well said indeed.

Personally Meatball I started a long time ago with getting one nice thing for my wife., then I would get what I want without incident.

And again., its fair.

I must admit tho I dropped many a relationship before I found a woman who would let me be me., which is to say have what I wanted.

With that said it was once said that (relationships and the wants of others)   "Sometimes it is better to want than to have" .

Also where relationships are conceerned "It is illogical to guarantee the actions of another"  .

Better re-read Kap's post and think about it. Thats an honest post.

If I was told no cannon., I would take my collection and my dreams and go.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Any Ideas??
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 11:32:58 AM »
Hey CW did you ever think when we asked  Graybeard to let us set up this forum that we would  have  to have Dr. Phil as a Co moderator?

For what it's worth, based on my almost but a few months shy of 40 years experience there are things you must consult  the other, but not always better half, about and then there are things you don't.

I can't tell you how many guns I bought by not bringing her back the change.

Offline Meatball

Any Ideas??
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 12:23:55 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys I didn't mean to sound like a guest on the Dr. Phil show. I have to admit that she's really not as bad as I made it sound. She pretty much lets me do what I want and I can buy any thing I want as long as we have the money. I think she may be starting to soften up on the cannon idea but I just need a few more ideas to push her a little bit further. She is starting to laugh now instead of just saying NO when I bring it up. I just need a couple more "convincing" ideas to get her to say yes. She didn't go for the "I can use the muzzle flash to melt the snow in the driveway idea" so I need to come up with a couple more.

Offline Evil Dog

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Any Ideas??
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 12:25:06 PM »
This is from the good folks over at Cannon Mania.

1. Everyone else has one...
2. We can use it for celebrations...
3. It's cool...
4. It will scare away burglars...
5. It will increase in value...
6. It's at a good price...
7. I need a bigger one...
8. Ours is worn out...
9. It will look nice in the yard...
10. I want one...

Might not work.... but worth a try.
Evil Dog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote. - Benjamin Franklin (1759)

Offline CU_Cannon

• Contributor
Any Ideas??
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 12:38:37 PM »
Valentines Day is coming up.  Nothing says “I love you” like a cannon.

Offline Artilleryman

Any Ideas??
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 01:01:19 PM »
Meatball does having a cannon or mortar fit with any of your other hobbies?  If it does use that as an angle.  If you really don't have any other hobbies you need to start one.  Join an artillery group.  Leave books and pictures of artillery around the house.  Good luck!
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline claypipe

• Http://www.handgonne.com
Re: Any Ideas??
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 01:06:37 PM »
Man, I may be henpecked, but that's the one thing she knows better than to mess with. Horses are not a cheap thrill. I know, I worked with them for almost 11 years. Don't get me wrong, I love horses, but I love my guns, gonnes and artillery pieces more. Stash some buckage away, until you can afford a good piece. Its hard to argue with, once you already have the piece. But remember that a bone of contention will be how the horse handle the boom of the piece.

CP

Offline Articifer Tom

• GBO Supporter
Any Ideas??
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 01:09:43 PM »
I think you  are all missing the BEST angle . She has two horses .
   Pulling the new cannon will be great exersice , and something we can do together.

Offline Double D

Any Ideas??
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 01:23:35 PM »
Hey Meatball this is one of those situations where we are not laughing at you were definitley laughing with you... we all have been there, and will be again.

Here another one.  go to Google and  type in Coehorn.  Open up every link you find to coehorn mortar and share you new found knowledge with her, like, "Did you know that Coehorns have a powder chamber" Did you know that they used coehorns at the Battle of Petersburg"  "Did you know that  Baron Coehorn invented the Coehorn mortar in  17..."  Well you get the idea.

Offline Kuntrykouple

• http://www.missouricannonworks.com
Any Ideas??
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 02:10:38 PM »
Ok well here is my 2 cents worth,hmmmm gotta think about this one!
 :wink:
Got it! I would say start out small... maybe something "pretty" in her eyes polished brass mortar on a walnut bed is always great! My wife will see silly things and  if its normally found in large sizes like lets say ... propane tanks, well if she sees a little one... then its "cute" then work your way up from there.
It worked for me so tis worth a try!
Missouri Cannon Works

All Scales of Cannons and Mortars

www.Missouricannonworks.com

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Any Ideas??
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2006, 02:19:58 PM »
Quote from: Meatball

Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Untill I can convincer here differently I guess I'll just have to be happy reading about yours.

OK, here it is.
You are dealing with one of the biggest 3 decisions in life - do it right.

I bought my wife a .357 before I bought her a  ring.  Some things you just have to check out before making a long-term committment.

So you might want to say, "Love, do you want to see the valentine's gift you bought for me...."

She has to know that you both support eachothers' well being - it's a two way street.  My wife doesn't complain about any of the guns that I buy, I take no thought of the thousand or so dolls she has.

One of the guns I bought for her was a S&W Chief's special - 5 shot .38 spcl.  I had it engraved with bugs bunny on the side plate, and one carrot and other character on each cylinder - Wiley E. Coyote, Pink Panther, Road Runner, Marvin the Martian and Taz.  

She kept borrowing mine, I figured she needed her own.

Hers and mine:
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Kuntrykouple

Any Ideas??
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2006, 02:23:19 PM »
i think we all are trying the passive approach, as i have said a thousand time to my friends........

Forgivness is less difficult to gain than permission!
Missouri Cannon Works

Offline MaxSmoke

Any Ideas??
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2006, 02:30:32 PM »
Hi guys,

IÂ’ve been lurking around the forum for awhile now and figured IÂ’d have to put my 2 cents in on this one.

Meatball, your girl sounds a lot like my Ex.  She was militantly anti-motorcycle.  I grew up riding the things and had the misfortune of marrying her while between bikes.  After our divorce she made her new boyfriend sell his motorcycle. (It was his only mode of transportation)  I bought it. He still asks if he can have it back when I see him around town.

I knew I had the right woman the second time around when she gave me a new 12 gauge for our first anniversary present
Tim

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Any Ideas??
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2006, 02:32:48 PM »
Free shipping! Did you mention free shipping?

When I notice something that my wife has bought. I'll ask her about it, She'll usually respond, "Oh, That ole thing. I've had that for ever. Don't you remember?"  You could try that :grin:
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Any Ideas??
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2006, 02:42:36 PM »
Quote from: MaxSmoke
Hi guys,

I knew I had the right woman the second time around when she gave me a new 12 gauge for our first anniversary present

Tim - WELCOME to the forum!

I agree, there are signs that let you KNOW that you've made the right decisions.

You will see that DD & I both post pictures of cannons and mortars WITH our BEST halves in the pictures.  There's a reason for that.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Any Ideas??
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2006, 03:10:45 PM »
Meatball,

AS the wife of CW, I do not care how many "Toys", he has, he does not say anything about my dolls ( I have more than a 1000, however I would like to sell some but can not do it) So he has a FEW cannons, Not a 1000, but close they are mixed in with my dolls, by the way.
I do like horses also, but a little one (cannon that is) should fit right in Just for starters that is some of them are quite nice and you will not believe the reaction you get from your friends.
GOOD LUCK!!!

Darlene
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
Any Ideas??
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2006, 03:10:56 PM »
Meatball, just go ahead and get yourself a real nice one and then paint her name on the mortar base to imply that it'll be her's to enjoy too.  Tell her that you sure don't want to have to refer to her as "The Warden" for the rest of your relationship.  It'll all work out just fine. :wink:
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
Any Ideas??
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2006, 03:23:27 PM »
I was shooting and collecting when I met my wife. She may often be seen at rifle ranges and has fired my mortar and cannon. Though sometimes I may cathch the look:the only question for me is whether she will write the check.

Offline kappullen

• Avid Poster
Any Ideas??
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2006, 04:29:30 PM »
Meatball,

There are few good reasons these days to justify either a horse, or a cannon.

You haven't really told us the possible situations:

1) You pay the bills
You gets the gun :)

2) You both pay the bills
You gets the gun when finances permit :)

3) She pays the bills
You're lucky to have two horses and a woman :-D

4) You are not a responsible person with drinking, drug, or other problems  (You can't honestly fill out that Federal Firearms form).
You know the answer to that one.

A former girl friend of mine left town when I chose S&W Stainless 686 over wedding plans.

That was freedom of choice, on both our parts. :-D

Kap

Offline opatriot

• Avid Poster
Any Ideas??
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2006, 06:36:41 PM »
LO L , HE HE HE....I feel your pain meatball ........im laughn with ya bro not at cha ....... my wife is a control freeeeak ...!!!! .....I like wes,s idear .....".free shipping.".. .im really  not into deseption but what,s been workin for me lately is tellin her the hypothetical truth ...".ITS TEMPORARY " honey , if you dont like it we,ll get rid of it .....9 out of 10 times she acquires a fondness to the thing ........good luck ..and god bless ya ..meatball..........davey
............................. DAVEY  (OPATRIOT)  ....................................................................       WHAT IS POPULAR IS NOT ALWAYS RIGHT, WHAT IS RIGHT IS NOT ALWAYS POPULAR ...

Offline CU_Cannon

• Contributor
Any Ideas??
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2006, 04:12:45 AM »
I think there are a lot of us in the same boat.  I have the tendency of jumping projects so my wife is hesitant when I start something new.  One of the things IÂ’ve learned is start small.  It will be much easer to convince her if you are not spending a lot of money.  There is also the cuteness factor for small cannons.  

Let her be the first one to fire it.  My wife doesnÂ’t like to be left out of my hobbies.  For each new canon I ask her if she would like the first shot.

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
Any Ideas??
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2006, 04:39:34 AM »
Quote from: blaster
Meatball, just go ahead and get yourself a real nice one and then paint her name on the mortar base to imply that it'll be her's to enjoy too.  Tell her that you sure don't want to have to refer to her as "The Warden" for the rest of your relationship.  It'll all work out just fine. :wink:

Meatball, I thought that I'd better make a follow up on my earlier post.  My wife and I have always had the attitude that if we can answer the following two questions with a "YES", then we'd could go ahead with the purchase of whatever.  1st, do I really want and need the item.  If the answer is "yes" then the next question is can we afford it.  If both questions get a "yes" answer - go ahead and buy it.  It's worked for us and we'll be married exactly 45 years in 3 more days (Feb 11, 1961) Now, that is the policy that has worked out for us.  We are both retired and sure don't have an unlimited supply of cash but we still get what is wanted/needed AND affordable.......Blaster - out. :wink:
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline opatriot

• Avid Poster
Any Ideas??
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2006, 08:46:58 AM »
UH OH ..!!! .......I am in trouble now ...my better half was watching  over my shoulder reading posts from this thread , wich should be labeled..... for HIS eyes only..??? .....now im in the dog house ......At this time I "must" make a public correction to earlier statements ...".My wife is not a control  freak ...!! ...She is a sensitive caring patient honorable woman , whose only concern is for the safety and prosperity of our family " ....and i gladly yield to her welth of wisdom and beauty .!!.............If you do not see any more posts from me you can draw your own conclusions.....if i return in a few days i am still living and receiving my dinners ................thanx ..davey
............................. DAVEY  (OPATRIOT)  ....................................................................       WHAT IS POPULAR IS NOT ALWAYS RIGHT, WHAT IS RIGHT IS NOT ALWAYS POPULAR ...

Offline GGaskill

Any Ideas??
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2006, 10:58:16 AM »
I don't know what your financial situation is but maybe you should get a full size field artillery piece with limber and then tell her that you need to get four more horses to have a full team.

:-)
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Meatball

Any Ideas??
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2006, 02:13:35 PM »
Thanks again for all your suggestions guys. She has really softened up the past couple of days. She says that she is afraid that I won't use it and she is also afraid that it will make her worry more that I might get hurt (she worries quite abit about me when I am at work due to my career). Sadly though she didn't go for any of the suggestions so far. I have tried the "it's free shipping" and "it'll scare burglars away" and she just giggled at me. I am now pretty sure that this summer when I have more money I'll be able to get a small one (atleast to start  :twisted: ). I am thinking that I would like to start off with something small such as Powder Kegs beer can mortars or a golf ball mortar. I have gone to several of the sites listed in the Cannon and Shooting supplies forum and have read a few plans on how to make one. I do have access to a small milling machine if I want to use it so I have also considered making my own. I am going to sit down soon and start figuring out what I will need to make one. I am also going to try to figure out the cost of making my own vs buying a pre made one. Hopefully I can come up with a good figure and that will finish convincing her.

Also congrats Blaster 45 years is quite an accomplishment. I wish you many more happy year together. So far my gf and I have only been going together for 5 years. We have talked about marriage and if we do I hope it lasts as long as yours.

Offline Double D

Any Ideas??
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2006, 03:10:35 PM »
Okay there is one other tactic to use on her.  It's extreme, it not to be used lightly.  It is reserved for really exceptional circumstances. I have only used it once or twice in almost 40 years, and it didn't work everytime.  Give it some long a serious thought before you use it as it will be long time before you can use it again. You must be sincere and it still might not work.....beg!

Offline Kuntrykouple

Any Ideas??
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2006, 04:26:21 PM »
YEA! DD is right rub onion in your eyes befor ya do it!!!

On a more serious note, trust me if you buy or build one saftey is most important ask questions, and then ask more questions. i just talked to guy whom said he and a friend was firing golfballs out of a piece of chain link fence pipe ...with oxy and acetylene i listen closely to him, paused and  thought hard on  the most civil way to explain that what he had just told was the most IGNORANT thing i have ever heard! and if he lived long enough  to take pictures of the aftermath i would love to show them to the rest of the world how truly ignorant some folks are!
Anyhow my point is saftey is a first and foremost, my only advice it when firing a cannon or mortar is to take your time look around and make sure you are in control of the situation or as much as humanly possable!
And i can assure you  if you are anything like the rest of us.... it will get plenty of use!
Missouri Cannon Works

Offline Cannonmaker

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.neffcannons.com/
Any Ideas??
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2006, 05:57:05 PM »
Meatball, Welcome,  Your woman must be allright if she likes horses.  I have introuduce a Mortor, a 1/2 Scale 24 pound Corhorn.  the Mortor is correct in all demsisions execpt that it is under bored to shoot a bear/pop can. The cordless phone that I had a disagreament with fits in a pop can with the top cut off.  Your selling points can be---

Repesents a piece of US Military history.

You can use the Mortor to rid of broken items like phones.

you should be able to use the Mortor to aid in cleaning the horse stall's.  Just lounch the manure out of the gun into the neighbor's yard.

When your ready to purchese a Mortor or Cannon we would appreacate the oppertony to talk to you.
Rick Neff
Neff Cannons & Machine LLC
480 N 1st Street East
PO Box 55
Malta, Idaho 83342              Keeping history alive with the roar of the guns

http://www.neffcannons.com/